Author Topic: Completing the Wainwrights  (Read 18007 times)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Re: Completing the Wainwrights
« Reply #30 on: 21:05:03, 23/09/11 »
OMG John I loved this post. I did a round in July that ended with Rannerdale Knotts, its a littler fell that packs a massive punch isnt it? And Whiteless Pike. It was fantastic to look back over Buttermere and all my favourite fells in gorgeous sunlight, you sure picked the right day for it!!!! Im going to go back and look over these again and again. I never tire of this part of the Lakes.....  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:17:05, 23/09/11 »
I almost daren't say it again - but, I love the look of this one too  O0 O0 O0
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

andybeck

« Reply #32 on: 11:47:01, 24/09/11 »
You certainly know how to pick the weather john O0
Some excellent photos there from those recent trips the visability looked perfect in nearly all the shots.
Thanks for sharing.
Andy

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:38:06, 24/09/11 »
I almost daren't say it again - but, I love the look of this one too  O0 O0 O0

Just be aware that there is a small rock step to traverse high up on Whiteless Pike, its not difficult but being slate it's slippery when wet.   :)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:42:52, 24/09/11 »

Just be aware that there is a small rock step to traverse high up on Whiteless Pike, its not difficult but being slate it's slippery when wet.   :)

Thanks for the info John  O0

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:44:43, 24/09/11 »
Grasmere

Stone Arthur

Kate did this one on her own because we could not think of any way that we could include it with any other Wainwrights on her list.  After a few days of poor weather there was an opportunity to bag it one afternoon during a brief clearance seeing it was only a short drive from home.  Stone Arthur looks quite imposing when seen from the Swan Hotel but it's only an abrupt craggy point on Great Rigg's long south-west ridge.

I warned Kate that the actual summit is not well defined and difficult to determine so she memorised a photograph of the summit outcrop and carried a scanned copy of the directions from Mark Richard's Fellranger guide, because - "the book was too heavy to carry" and off she went.  It was the normal route from behind the Swan Hotel and the lane to Greenhead Gill then a left turn picking up an old drove path that led to to the ridge end overlooking Greenhead Gill and a simple grassy path to the summit.  She reached the top in under 40 minutes from the car and phoned me because "all the outcrops look the same" so I told her to take a few photos on her phone, one of which was of her size 7 boot on the cairn, thus confirming that she had indeed found the top.

2.7 miles
1,520 ft of ascent
1 wainwright done ..... 12 to go

The summit of Stone Arthur

Grasmere from Stone Arthur

Seat Sandal
« Last Edit: 19:50:17, 24/09/11 by Brandywell »

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 21:26:25, 24/09/11 »
Keep em comin :)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:33:08, 24/09/11 »
I've had no internet for a while John so i've only just got round to seeing this thread, splendid read and fantastic photos mate, well done  O0

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:25:45, 25/09/11 »
I love the whole lot, the stories, the facts, the comments and the photographs.  So much that I have had to bookmark this thread.

Thank you.  :) :) :)

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:43:06, 25/09/11 »
Keep em comin :)
I'll try but there's a hole in my Photobucket  ::)  - links now from Kate's album

I've had no internet for a while John so i've only just got round to seeing this thread, splendid read and fantastic photos mate, well done  O0

I love the whole lot, the stories, the facts, the comments and the photographs.  So much that I have had to bookmark this thread.

Thank you.  :) :) :)

Cheers Rich and Dittzzy  :)

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:55:48, 25/09/11 »
Rolling up the Far Eastern Fells

Beda Fell
The Nab
Brock Crags

This seemed to be the easiest way to pick up these 'stragglers' in the Far Eastern Fells.  The route was the longest one we did but the walking was very easy, although there was a fair bit of unavoidable "out and back" involved.

We started from Bridgend in Patterdale taking the field path towards Beckstones before switching onto the path to Boredale Hause along the course of the Hayeswater aqueduct.  Boredale Hause was busy as ever with walkers heading off on the paths to either Place Fell or High Street, we carried on half right on the bridleway that leads over to Bannerdale.  On reaching Bedafell Knott we turned onto a path that led, in just under a mile, to Beda Head, the summit of Beda Fell.

Our next objective, The Nab, lay 1.25 miles to the south east but to reach it involved a 4 mile walk around the head of Bannerdale.  We returned along the ridge to the bridleway during which the time the weather, up to now dull and overcast, showed signs of improvement as the clouds parted and visibility became very clear.  The improvement lasted all of twenty minutes before more clouds appeared and the wind became much stronger. We crossed the bridleway onto a path which took us past Angletarn Pikes and down to Angle Tarn and joined the major path to High Street.

Passing over Satura Crag we diverted onto a path that seems to have been created by Wainwright baggers, God bless 'em, intent on picking off The Nab.  It led to a gateway(without a gate) in the wall that crosses Rest Dodd's north-west ridge, below us, across the head of Yewgrove Gill, lay the long ridge running out from Rest Dodd to The Nab, which is heavily pockmarked with deep peat hags.

We decided that it would be quicker if Kate tackled this section alone, without a sack, as the weather was worsening.  I assured her that there was a good path leading over the ridge which avoided most of the peat hags and that it should take her about an hour to complete this 2.5 mile leg of the walk.

It was hard to follow her progress in the murky conditions as by now frequent showers were passing over Rest Dodd, thankfully most of them were sweeping past Red Crag above Rampsgill and missed this side of the valley.  I was watching a herd of red deer down by Yewgrove Gill and failed to notice Kate's progress on the return leg and was surprised to spot her just below me climbing back up out of Yewgrove Gill, it had only taken her 50 minutes.

Now heading directly into the strengthening wind we returned to Satura Crag where we were nearly knocked over a couple of times by the sudden gusts.  Brock Crags lay across a boggy depression to the side of the main ridge and was quickly gained - and left, because of the wind.  We had intended to return by Angle Tarn but, seeing that the weather was worsening we headed in the opposite direction towards Calfgate Gill and picked up the excellent path that led all the way back towards Beckstones and the field path to Bridgend.

11.25 miles
3,370 ft of ascent
3 Wainwrights done ..... 9 to go

Brotherswater from the path to Boredale Hause

Path along Beda Fell

The head of Ullswater from Beda Fell

A brief clearing in the weather on our way back along the Beda Fell ridge - looking over to the eastern fells

More clouds building up as we approach Angletarn Pikes

Angle Tarn

On the way to The Nab

Martindale (Howe Grain) from the summit of The Nab

Returning along the ridge from The Nab (red dot marks the place where I'm waiting for Kate to return)

The summit of Brock Crags

Brothers Water from the summit of Brock Crags

Looking into the valley of Pasture Beck as we descend from Brock Crags
« Last Edit: 16:33:32, 26/09/11 by Brandywell »

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:06:12, 25/09/11 »
Excellent again John  O0

Angle Tarn and Beda Fell are already on my to do list - your photos have just pushed it up the list a few notches  ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 10:16:53, 26/09/11 »
Another great report, did you see any of the red deer?

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:31:27, 26/09/11 »
Another great report, did you see any of the red deer?

Oh yes.  There was a small herd in Yewgrove Gill.  I think you would be very unlucky not to spot some around The Nab.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:17:50, 26/09/11 »
Excellent again John  O0

Angle Tarn and Beda Fell are already on my to do list   ;)

The old church in Martindale is a good starting point for a nice circular walk around Boredale.  Beda Fell - Angletarn Pikes - Boredale Hause - Place Fell, return to Martindale by Sleet Fell.  About 7.5 miles on good paths.  :)