Author Topic: [Trip Report] Deep Dale and Magpie Mine  (Read 2344 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Deep Dale and Magpie Mine
« on: 23:55:20, 18/10/08 »
Date of walk - 18-10-08
Weather - Cool but sunny. Excellent walking weather.
Distance - 6.25 miles.
Panoramic Images? - Yes. Ask and I'll post.

The walk. Sort of a keeping your hand in walk and based on the RA Peak District walks book a friend bought for me recently. It wasn't meant to be too taxing but enough to keep the old muscles in trim considering I won't be able to do much for the next two weeks.

So OS map by kind permission of Ordinance Survey and Crown Copyright.

Originally in this walk we were going to park in Ashford in the Water. Sadly this is a very small but picturesque village so that proved impossible.  So we parked nearer the start of the walk instead.

So off we start with some nice views of the Wye valley , sadly with the noise of the A6.

As in common with much of the countryside you soon some across remnants of the industrial side of the Peak.

Still despite being man made some of it is impressive.

Soon enough though Nature regains its hold.

After a short while walking up hill and down gorge we find ourselves in Deep Dale. Where it is a bit squelchy under foot and more than little.. erm rural in smell shall we say?

Of course we soon find the reason for the smell. Just before we have to take a steep jaunt to the top.

From the top though you can easily see the destination. Magpie Mine (a lead mine, of course, not one for mining magpies).

This area has lots of strange buildings.

Still it's an interesting place and one we stayed at to have lunch.

After eating we made our way past Sheldon and back to the car.

A nice and easy way to keep the muscles in tune and somewhere that is well worth a visit.
© Dazza
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

stevieboy378

Re: [Trip Report] Deep Dale and Magpie Mine
« Reply #1 on: 14:03:55, 20/10/08 »
I love wandering round the Magpie mine, although I'll no longer stand on the grille that caps the main shaft, after I read on the nearby plaque that its over 600 feet deep  :o
The round building was a storage place for explosives if I remember correctly, and its shape has something to do with its ability to absorb the blast should the ordnance have decided to self ignite . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:50:33, 20/10/08 »
The round building was a storage place for explosives if I remember correctly, and its shape has something to do with its ability to absorb the blast should the ordnance have decided to self ignite . . .

Well that explains the lack of roof!  ;D
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

IAIN BARKER

« Reply #3 on: 17:32:02, 21/10/08 »
Strange is the right word for the Magpie Mine. Murdered miners, ghosts and all sorts of odd stuff aplenty!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:51:58, 24/10/08 »
Eeek! Ghosts? That could have meant we'd have bumped into Yvette Fielding filming Most Haunted - a truly scary experience. Only joking.

One of the sealed building was full (and I mean full) of buzzing flies, with a few very happy and fat spiders.  The kept banging into the window which was a little disconcerting.

Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy