Author Topic: sleeping bags  (Read 1449 times)

hammy392

sleeping bags
« on: 08:14:15, 21/11/08 »
i am planning a cleveland way expedition, the first one i have done so i am planning on getting a decent sleeping bag although quite cheap as not got a very big budget any one know of any thankyou

chd123

Re: sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: 10:22:06, 21/11/08 »
Theres quite a few about at the moment because a lot of places are getting rid of this years camping stuff to make way for next years

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sleeping

theyve got a few good ones on the CCC site.
http://outdoorguide.blogspot.com - Outdoor Gear Tips, Reviews and More

hammy392

« Reply #2 on: 18:56:27, 21/11/08 »
thankyou may need more advice in future as this is my first expedition

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 13:29:47, 04/12/08 »
You don't state when you're going, which is quite critical to sleeping bag selection unless weight isn't an issue.

However if you're intending to make it a summer trip, I mentioned a while back in a previous post that I'd bought the Blacks own brand goose down, 2 season bag for 50:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/094527/product/094527.aspx

Goose down is significantly lighter, and packs down smaller than artificial bags, so this is ideal for multi-day trekking such as the Cleveland Way.    Precisely the reason I bought it.

S.

hammy392

« Reply #4 on: 13:33:20, 04/12/08 »
yeah it is in summer so thankyou very much

Alf

« Reply #5 on: 15:24:54, 04/12/08 »
However if you're intending to make it a summer trip, I mentioned a while back in a previous post that I'd bought the Blacks own brand goose down, 2 season bag for 50:

I take it you find the Blacks bag good value then Snowman?

I'm looking for a 3 season bag and was considering the Blacks Quantam 500 as it seems fairly compact and light for the price compared to others.
Its going for 75 online but I'm a bit of a tight wad and hoping it might go down in January.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:31:58, 04/12/08 »
I'm happy with my Alpkit Pipedream, it's fine for just the temperatures they say and it's light and cheap. I need a lower temperature one next year and I'll get another Alpkit bag I think.

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 09:50:35, 05/12/08 »
Hi Alf,

I take it you find the Blacks bag good value then Snowman?

Absolutely.   50 for a down bag is excellent value, which is why I bought it.

I generally use a Vango 1100 Ultralight I bought several years ago, and this has served me well in European mountain conditions (you know, shaking ice off the tent in the morning), but wanted a lightweight bag for lower level, multi-day trekking/LDPs in summer.     I couldn't really justify buying an expensive new bag, but when I saw the Blacks one I had to go for it.    Most important was pack size to help me in my quest to drop a rucksack size, and this bag really does pack down small.    Combine this with a shelter as opposed to a tent, and you can really travel light

I would stress that this really is a summer bag, and I have had a coolish night towards the end of summer when the nights start to get cold, but not what I would call 'uncomfortably' cold.

S.