Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576828 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2025 on: 13:29:09, 16/03/17 »
Hoping to undertake the Headingley/Armley/Bramley ‘Tithe to 2009’ Boundary Trail tomorrow, a short, four-mile, largely urban walk which, for a portion of its length, follows the Airedale railway line, and the Leeds & Liverpool canal, which are themselves concomitant for a significant proportion of their lengths.

One of my favourite walks used to be from the dark arches under Leeds central station and out to Kirkstall Abbey along the canal tow path.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

mda63

« Reply #2026 on: 00:00:53, 17/03/17 »
One of my favourite walks used to be from the dark arches under Leeds central station and out to Kirkstall Abbey along the canal tow path.
The Dark Arches are - quite literally - awesome, and rather uncanny in a strange way. There's something about elderly structures like that, particularly dark, hidden, cathedral-like structures, which really puts me on edge, but I still enjoy it (so I guess it's a sublime feeling). I suppose they're quite alien to us today, with how brightly-lit and clinical everything is; by comparison, the Dark Arches almost seem to be 'grown', rather than constructed! I have the same feeling from cathedrals, Victorian factories etc.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2027 on: 22:50:43, 19/03/17 »
After taking last sunday off to spend time with my gorgeous wife, i'll be back on the hills again this sunday.  I'll hopefully be completing my challenge to do the "three peaks" in pairs, with Pen Y Ghent and Ingleborough being my playground for the day.  Hoping for better views from the summits this weekend but Que sera sera, just looking forwar to another good stretch of the legs.

It didn't happen :(, undeterred by the torrential rain it was the sheer amount of standing water that made me realise today wasn't going to happen unless I was prepared to wade through ankle/shin deep water for several miles :(, always next weekend I suppose.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2028 on: 09:49:43, 20/03/17 »
The Dark Arches are - quite literally - awesome, and rather uncanny in a strange way. There's something about elderly structures like that, particularly dark, hidden, cathedral-like structures, which really puts me on edge, but I still enjoy it (so I guess it's a sublime feeling). I suppose they're quite alien to us today, with how brightly-lit and clinical everything is; by comparison, the Dark Arches almost seem to be 'grown', rather than constructed! I have the same feeling from cathedrals, Victorian factories etc.
That whole area is quite interesting - especially with the raging torrent flowing under the railway station. The only aspect that I don't like is the smell from the water down there.
Out in the canal basin is another good area to explore - the old warehouse buildings, some of which have been renovated, and the towers/chimneys that stand around 'Tower Works' - the Italianate styling of one of them particularly. Much of the way up to Horsforth you have the river, canal and railway running parallel most of the way.
One of my friends cycles every day from Greengates down into Leeds on the canal path.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2029 on: 15:30:50, 20/03/17 »

Was looking for something different to do this Friday...so may well try that.

Did a Saturday walk for first time for ages. (A couple of friends I usually meet on Saturday were visiting their daughter).

Got a train to Chinley and walked to Edale...used a route I'd used a few years ago, and descended Jacob's Ladder as part of the route. Reminded me just how much I dislike that particular descent..I far prefer ascending it. I'll certainly follow basic plan of doing a linear walk from Chinley to Edale again, but will be avoiding Jacob's Ladder descent, obviously plenty of other options.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2030 on: 15:30:04, 24/03/17 »
Does Friday count as the week-end? Well I'll post here anyway because I got idea from these thread.

Went to Leeds this morning and did a five mile city route, taking in the Dark Arches.

Enjoyed it, but "reminded" once or twice that navigating round a city centre can be one of the trickier feats of map reading. Not sure I'd like to walk through the Dark Arches at night, that must be well spooky.

Will certainly go back again sometime soon, probably just to do a less convoluted route along the canal.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2031 on: 06:33:05, 25/03/17 »
Undecided (as yet), whether to try for Pen Y Ghent and Ingleborough again this sunday or to do the 26 miles around Kielder water, decisions, decisions....

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2032 on: 19:22:39, 25/03/17 »
I did another walk in the High Weald today. I walked from the outskirts of Crowborough, through a wildly beautiful spot with deep ghyll woodlands, and came up on to the high heathlands of Ashdown Forest, with glorious views over its landscape of hill and valley.  Very windy but fine and sunny, with masses of gorse in flower.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2033 on: 15:19:34, 26/03/17 »
Finally got to enjoy Curbar and Froggatt Edges yesterday. A glorious day.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2034 on: 07:47:37, 28/03/17 »
Completed my challenge of walking the Yorkshire 3 peaks in pairs on Sunday with the final pairing of Pen Y Ghent and Ingleborough.  Absolutely glorious day a very stark contrast to that of seven days ago.  Discovered a new (to me) route up Ingleborough ascending via Park fell, Simon Fell and the Ingleborough Rim.   If anybody is in the area and fancies something a little different I can highly recommend the Ingleborough Rim walk, all in all a good days walking. 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2035 on: 09:22:14, 28/03/17 »
I'm leading a group on what I call the 'Three Peaks in the High Peak' walk on Saturday.  Climbing up onto Cracken Edge/Chinley Churn to start with, then after skirting around the edge of Hayfield we'll be climbing Mount Famine and South Head.

A great walk with fab views (weather permitting!) 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2036 on: 09:47:21, 28/03/17 »
I can escape tomorrow so am planning to do a walk around Fusedale and Martindale in the Far Eastern Fells.

Oops - wrong thread.

Charlieslater

« Reply #2037 on: 09:58:36, 28/03/17 »
One of the girls from here is talking about coming over to Scarborough for some basic Nav instruction. Going to be on the moor between Scarborough and Whitby on Sat from around 10 ish if anybody fancied tagging along. No charge but donations to my local MRT team is optional. Can cope with 4/5 people. Will be covering basic map reading and understanding contours etc, pacing, timing, compass bearings (and walking on said bearing) and a small amount of micro nav. Nothing too heavy with a nice walk between target points. I have no recognised qualification but am considered competent.
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

maximurph

« Reply #2038 on: 14:53:32, 28/03/17 »
Doing the calderdale hike Saturday. The shorter 26 mile route.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2039 on: 18:06:01, 01/04/17 »
Had a lovely local walk with our WI walking group today.  I walked from home to the village hall where we meet (1.5 miles).  We walked from there to the lake and back again (4 miles).  After that we walked to the local garden centre for a cuppa and cake, then back to the hall (1 mile). From there, I said my farewells and walked home across the fields (3 miles).  

9.5 miles - as easy as that - when it’s broken down into little chunks  :)  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy