Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576705 times)

photonut

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2175 on: 09:30:31, 12/07/17 »
This weekend my walk will be starting at Hebden.  Following the trail north that takes you past all the old mining sites then onto the tops and eventually getting to Kettlewell.  From here I'll 'sort of' follow the river Wharfe to Conistone, Grassington and Linton (ish) - ending up back in Hebden, aiming to finish by 2pm  :)   GPX file attached to view the 'intended' route.

Does anyone know if it is ok to park on Main St in Hebden??

Cheers
Lee

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2176 on: 09:49:24, 12/07/17 »
Yes, there is normally plenty of parking available in Main Street.  Try the Old School Tearoom while you're there - I can thoroughly recommend it.  We spent some time exploring the old mining remains last year, it's worth having a look round.  I remember when we were walking up the track towards the mine workings we came across a dead peregrine falcon on the path.  There wasn't a mark on it, so we thought it had probably been poisoned.  Such a shame as it was a beautiful bird.

photonut

« Reply #2177 on: 09:55:04, 12/07/17 »
Yes, there is normally plenty of parking available in Main Street.  Try the Old School Tearoom while you're there - I can thoroughly recommend it.

Hi Dave

Thank you for your quick response - most helpful.

I had seen the cafe on Google and thought it would make a fitting place to finish and have a cuppa  :)   (I think there is also a pub in Hebden too)

Cheers
Lee

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2178 on: 17:11:01, 13/07/17 »
I'm doing 3 separate scrambles up Kinder on Saturday. Not sure where exactly, although I'm sure Crowden Clough will be on the list.  A bit of up/down/up/down/up/down by all accounts! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2179 on: 18:08:28, 13/07/17 »
In Snowdonia for 4 days so a few suitable for an 8 month old collie  :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2180 on: 18:28:38, 15/07/17 »
The weather is looking good tomorrow, so I'm hoping to head down Haweswater and walk Harter Fell. We'll ascend via Nan Bield which gives us the easier underfoot descent via Gatescarth Pass, as well as the option to continue to Branstree And Selside Pike and descending via the old corpse road, depending on energy levels.

My plan is also to try out the tea shop at Bamptoon on the way back as it is under new management.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2181 on: 19:42:49, 15/07/17 »
I walked on the South Downs today from the Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon via Wolstonbury Hill, an outlier from the escarpment, with wonderful views.  Lovely seeing the masses of wild flowers   :)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2182 on: 12:51:58, 16/07/17 »
Nowhere this weekend :(, unless around  a local sunday market counts  ::) .  Next Sunday however I plan on Ullock Pike, Longside Edge, Carl Side and Dodd.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2183 on: 14:53:41, 16/07/17 »
Nice route Bhod, and you might get to see the ospreys too!

Just back from Haweswater and Harter Fell. Great weather and views - did the soul a power of good.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2184 on: 22:03:32, 16/07/17 »
Nice to hear it's a nice route Sarah, am looking forward to it.  I was tempted to drive further down into the lakes next weekend as my most recent excursions down there have all been into the Northern fells, might have to change things up a bit next time around and head for a walk in the Far Eastern/Eastern Or Central fells just for varieties sake :D.

Roy.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2185 on: 23:04:38, 16/07/17 »
I have just checked and I walked that exact route on 14/05/11. Time for a revisit soon, I think.

Depending on where you are coming from sometimes it doesn't take too much extra time to nip off to other areas e.g. You can access the High Street range from Haweswater which is probably quicker from the A66 than trekking down to Hartsop.

If your aim is to walk all 214 then at some point you,will have to venture further afield. We found it helpful to plan a weekend away in the more distant parts to help e.g. Wasdale Head,Inn, Woolpack. And then plan walks to mop up hills we hadn't yet walked.

Despite the fact that we have both completed our 214, we still keep up the weekend away tradition and still keep aiming for Summits!!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2186 on: 07:44:26, 17/07/17 »
Coming from the t'other side o'country (Wallsend) pretty much anywhere in the lakes is between a 2 -3 hour drive for me which normally neccessitates me getting up at stupid o'clock on a sunday morning for a day out in the fells.  Will need to sit down and do a lot more planning next year for trips rather than the ad hoc system I seem to do at the moment.  It would make sense to do the longer trips (driving further), on the longer days of summer and vice versa. 

Unfortunately unless something major changes with my business, I'm restricted to Sunday walks only, weekends are a luxury I can only dream of, I'll just have to bag as many as I can when I can with the ultimate aim of completing the 214 "sometime", after all for me, it's not a race merely a journey with a final goal.

jethro10

« Reply #2187 on: 13:18:01, 21/07/17 »
A shorter one tomorrow.
from Rosthwaite, south of Derwentwater - Lake district.
Over the Rosthwaite Stepping stones, north into the small wood trying to find Millican Dalton's Cave Hotel - a fascinating story.
then onto Castle Crag and it's slate quarry with it strange vertical standing stones.
Finally a look at Rigghead slate quarry with the ruined buildings, tunnels (only a peek!), paraphernalia etc.
J

jethro10

« Reply #2188 on: 10:21:56, 23/07/17 »

trying to find Millican Dalton's Cave Hotel - a fascinating story.
Finally a look at Rigghead slate quarry with the ruined buildings, tunnels (only a peek!), paraphernalia etc.
J
Didn't find the cave. however got a photo while approximatley there, that looks like one on the Net at the beginning of tha path to it. So next time!
Didn't get to Rigghead quarry :-( spent too long in the wilderness and undergrowth looking for the cave!
JJ

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2189 on: 18:46:28, 23/07/17 »
Fantastic trip to do Ullock Pike, Long Side, Carl Side and Dodd this morning.  On the road for 6am which saw me getting the pick of the parking spots in the Dodd Woods car park (£6.30 all day  :o )  Fantastic views up the Edge and then onto Ullock, the mist came over briefly for Long Side but had retreated again by the time Carl Side was ascended.  Great views over to Bassenthwaite and Derwent Water from the top of Dodd and then a quick trip to watch the Ospreys on the way down.  Stopped and had a coffee and bowl of veggie soup at the tea room before heading back across the North Peninnes in torrential rain.  Feet up now with a rum n coke, stomach full of beef madras n rice, Bath full of Matey bubbles awaits, Wainwright's now climbed into double figures, happy days.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy