Author Topic: [TR] GR5 - The Grand Traverse of the Alps 2013  (Read 29164 times)

kukko

Re: [TR] GR5 - The Grand Traverse of the Alps 2013
« Reply #15 on: 08:22:25, 25/08/13 »
Thanks guys for your comments!

Let's keep going... DAY 10 - LANDRY to VAL CLARET

DAY 10 - With some uncertainty in my mind I began the day. How much snow there might be in the high altitude Vanoise National Park and where to stay then for the night... this would be a long day anyway.

DAY 10 - Looking back. I crossed here an over knee-high stream, which was not supposed to be crossed because of the strength of it. But I didn't see the warnings much further downstream. It was okay but I had to be very careful.

DAY 10 - And forward. Entering the famous Vanoise National Park where one is not allowed to camp at all.

DAY 10 - Again it began to look quite snowy over there.

DAY 10 - Fantastic lunch spot.

DAY 10 - Wild scenery of the Vanoise National Park

DAY 10 - As I hiked further I finally reached the refuge Col du Palet, but my fears were right and there was no way to camp next to it.

DAY 10 - As the day was still quite young I decided to keep moving and not to overnight at the refuge.

DAY 10 - Impressive mountain scenery

DAY 10 - Until I saw the "not belonging here" ski resort of Val Claret. I had read that some people had camped down there under the ski lifts or something, but finally I decided to book a hotel room.

DAY 11 - VAL CLARET to PRALOGNAN

DAY 11 - I stayed the night at the hotel which was very absurd experience after so many days on trail. When standing at thet "golden" reception, I realized how much I smelled. So I enjoyed the shower, bubble path and a great buffet dinner before falling asleep under clean sheets. It was hard to leave early the next morning but after a while I was very happy to be walking again.

DAY 11 - I left the hotel at 5:30 as I had to cover some 30km. Again there was no one else on the move at that time and I had all the mountains just for myself.

DAY 11 - I reached the next refuge around 9am, just when other walkers had finished their breakfast and were ready for the day.

DAY 11 - This stubborn bouquetin refused to move so I had to climb and detour a bit. He had found his perfect lunch spot..

DAY 11 - And I found mine...

DAY 11 - Stormy afternoon clouds started to gather so I better kept going.

DAY 11 - Still a long descent to the village of Pralognan.

DAY 11 - The trail went through an interesting lake.

DAY 11 - Evening light at the Pralognan campsite. Feeling strong after the first PIZZA! I had been dreaming of it every day but finally it took until this far before I got one. Two tough but beautiful days done in the Vanoise National Park and one more to go before reaching easier parts of the GR5. (should not be snow anymore and more options to camp). I was excited because I would reach soon the halfway point too!

DAY 12 - PRALOGNAN to MODANE/FOURNEAUX

DAY 12 - The next morning there was up only me and the cows.

DAY 12 - Looking back to where I came from.

DAY 12 - Clouds started to build up behind the highest pass of the route. Here I had some orienteering problem as I wasn't excactly sure which would be the right one.

DAY 12 - But I found it and this was the view to the other side.

DAY 12 - But no time to linger as the storm clouds were gathering and I was in high altitude.

DAY 12 - After a quick descent I was out from the snow and the Vanoise National Park. And after a long way down to Modane I finally reached the end of stage 3/6!!!

MORE COMING SOON...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:03:27, 25/08/13 »
Really enjoying this - fabulous photos too! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:38:30, 25/08/13 »
Cracking pictures, thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next instalment
Enjoy every sandwich

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:44:47, 27/08/13 »
Thanks again for posting this wonderful journey for us  O0  Superb photos - but tell me you didn't eat that cute animal  :o   ;D
Hate will never win

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:52:52, 27/08/13 »
Brilliant. This takes me back! I did it during a summer holiday when I was 16 - great memories. The morning I woke up face to face with a marmot was one of the best.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:40:26, 27/08/13 »
Just realised I might have been a little confusing.  The REAL AND LONGEST grand traverse of the alps, despite the GTA title,  has to be the end to end traverse which actually includes the GR5 and is now dignified under the name Via Alpina, a skein of routes from the Med almost to Vienna.  Walked in sections it would be many years of holidays.  Good to be reminded of Pralognan - highly recommended for a centre walking holiday. Large campsites with a selfservice restaurant.

kukko

« Reply #21 on: 12:25:27, 02/09/13 »
Instead of editing more of the photos, I did the trip video. Hope you guys like it and feel free to give constructive feedback!
http://vimeo.com/73364471

Next more photos then:)
« Last Edit: 12:47:11, 02/09/13 by kukko »

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:45:20, 03/09/13 »
Really enjoying this!  O0

What an adventure - this is the sort of stuff to inspire anyone.  :)

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:01:34, 27/09/13 »
Definitely considering doing some of this next time I go to the Alps, I received a copy of the Cicerone guidebook through the post today.

Your photos really are amazing.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

russwalk.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: 18:37:44, 20/10/13 »
Kukko,
Loved the pictures and the video.
Planning on doing this walk in 2015 over 32 days. Do you mind if I ask you some questions in the future regarding the walk?
Done loads of UK walks but this will be the first in France or anywhere mainland Europe, so need some advise on simple things such as the availability of gas canisters etc.

Once again well done.

Russ

kukko

« Reply #25 on: 08:51:45, 21/10/13 »
Thanks guys for your comments!
Russ: please feel free to ask anything. I'm happy to help if possible.

DAY 13 - MODANE to DU THABOR
Ascent: 1500m
Descent: 213m
13km
Walking time 7:00 - 13:30

After hard stage 3, I was very excited to begin the fourth one!

The day was quite easy and short. No descents, just the 1500m climb from Modane up to Col de la Vallee Etroite.

Beautiful Alpine lake next to the refuge du Thabor.

Refuge du Thabor is located 15minutes aside from the pass but I wanted to wild camp behind the pass.

Camping alone in a nice meadow. I called this place the marmot hill as it was full of holes but for some reason I didn't see very many marmots.

Low clouds started to form in the evening and visibility dropped.

During the night I woke up for some light flashing outside the tent and I was wondering who the heck is pointing at me with a flashlight. I opened the tent door and looked outside. It was dead silent. I stared at beautiful starry sky. But then I saw the flashing again. I looked to my right and behind the next mountain light there was a huge lightning storm going on. I got scared as I was camping quite high, at 2400m and there was not any good cover nearby.

I stayd still staring at the flashing sky, trying to figure out where the storm is heading. There was no sound of thunder at all. In short I was able to see better the line of clouds and I decided that I have to move. I took my valuables, my Thermarest mattress and started to run. With the light of my headtorch I found the pass and trail in 10 minutes, turned then towards the refuge du Thabor and moved another 10 minutes. I didn't want to go all the way until the refuge so I sat down nearby staring at the night. After half an hour or so it was clear that the lightning storm took another direction and the night calmed down. I returned back to my tent, heart still beating fast.

DAY 14 - DU THABOR to NEVACHE
Ascent: 428m
Descent: 1175m
16km
Walking time 7:20 - 13:10

The next morning revealed itself sunny, and the terror of the night was just a faint memory, like a bad dream.

I descented to an Italian valley. (still in France but the valley had Italian roots)

Looking back to the pass of yesterday.

What a spot for a lunch break!

A group of kids with couple of donkeys passed by.

A long descent to Nevache but I was feeling great. There was a clear change in the terrain and I was feeling for the first time that I had come a long way to south.

My tent among the other campers. I enjoyed a great pizza in an Italian restaurant.

MORE TO FOLLOW...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:38:17, 21/10/13 »
Fabulous pics Kukko, just stunning.  Thanks for posting - again! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:35:15, 21/10/13 »
brilliant brilliant brilliant...

to me this is what its all about  O0 O0
roll on the weekend

Llanpaul

« Reply #28 on: 19:50:40, 21/10/13 »
Amazing stuff. Well done you!!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

kukko

« Reply #29 on: 15:10:49, 22/10/13 »
Okey, next the day 15 (out of 25).

DAY 15 - NEVACHE to VACHETTE
Ascent: 1032m
Descent: 1244m
Distance: 28km
Walking time 5:50 - 14:00

Resting during the first ascent of the day.

Remote Alpine chalets in the morning sun.

At the Col de la Lauze, 2529m.

The further I progress towards south, big snowy peaks are left more and more behind.

Passing through the village of Montgenevre.

The village of Vachette is 10 minutes off-route but it offers a great camping site. The next big city, Briancon, is only 4 km away. I enjoyed good facilities of the camping site and had a great dinner in the evening at the restaurant in the middle of the village. The place, La Vieille Ecurie, is owned by a very nice british couple, Katie and Richard. I had a chance to talk with both while enjoying a big and tasty portion of Tartiflette.

http://www.la-vieille-ecurie.com/

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy