Author Topic: Your first Wainwright?  (Read 21147 times)

Telluric

Re: Your first Wainwright?
« Reply #60 on: 13:22:23, 10/11/18 »
Mine was Skiddaw around 8 years ago with my best mate who is sadly no longer with us, a very memorable few days. We also took in Blencathra and Cat Bells / High Spy. A fantastic trip that has kept me coming back for more.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 13:52:58, 10/11/18 »
Dollywaggon Pike back in 1969 on the way up to Helvellyn.  Not sure we even had Wainwrights then, I think they were just hills in those days but I am ready to be corrected.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 11:55:07, 22/11/18 »
My first was Wansfell in June 1968, but, unfortunately, as I was only coming up to 5 at the time, I hitched a ride on my dad's shoulders for the last pull to the summit, so I didn't count that ascent as being all mine. 

As a result I made Wansfell my last one when completing the round - almost exactly 50 years to the day later - seemed appropriate.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 13:49:13, 22/11/18 »
My first was Wansfell in June 1968, but, unfortunately, as I was only coming up to 5 at the time, I hitched a ride on my dad's shoulders for the last pull to the summit, so I didn't count that ascent as being all mine. 

As a result I made Wansfell my last one when completing the round - almost exactly 50 years to the day later - seemed appropriate.
That's interesting pdstsp, my son's first Wainwright was Dodd but he did that entirely on my shoulders as he was only 3 months old. He has decided to make it his last one.
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 13:56:00, 22/11/18 »
Great minds think alike!  I bet that will be a great experience - I take it you'll be accompanying him? 

Unfortunately, my dad passed away some years ago, before I'd even come back to walking as a pastime, after many years of competitive sport and cycle touring, so he wasn't able to see the influence he had.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 14:03:55, 22/11/18 »
Great minds think alike!  I bet that will be a great experience - I take it you'll be accompanying him? 
I'll be there with him.
If all goes to plan it should be next summer which will be 21 years after the first ascent.
Over hill, over dale. Thorough brush, thorough brier....
I do wander every where

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 16:29:56, 22/11/18 »
I'm sure that'll be a very memorable day.