Author Topic: Hiking the GR10 in 2015?  (Read 10222 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking the GR10 in 2015?
« Reply #15 on: 15:17:35, 18/06/15 »
I've made my decision and have booked my flight! I fly from Gatwick to Bordeaux on 22nd July and will stay the night in a 'cheap as chips' Formula One hotel. The following morning I will catch a train to Hendaye, (do a bit of shopping and get myself properly organised) and then camp there for the night. I can then start hiking on Friday 24th July or I might wait until Saturday 25th July? I'll decide when I get there.

My wife and I have agreed that I will first hike to St. Jean Pied de Port and if all OK and no problems back at home, I will then travel on, on a week by week basis. My aim will be to complete the whole route within 60 days but as we all know life at home can change plans in an instant. Our only known concern at the moment is the health of my elderly mother in law.

All I have to do now is organise myself over the next few weeks, make sure my gear is as light as possible and packed in such a way that I can cope with the duration with the least amount of hassle.

I would prefer to hike with others but if no one is forthcoming I will as always, just hike on alone.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:18:51, 01/07/15 »
Well, I'm packed! I decided to get my stuff organised early as I have a habit of doing it all at the last minute. I am still very undecided if I should try to cook en route but I'll leave that decision to nearer my set off date. Although I fly out on the 22nd July I will not start to hike until the morning of 24th July, I will have a day to have a wander around Hendaye, sort out the food I will start off with and generally make sure I am organised properly. I have not bought additional maps, I have two Michelin maps which cover the whole route and have my SityTrail maps downloaded onto my little tablet and hope thats enough.

I am also going to try to use my hike to raise a bit of cash for our local NHS Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Da Vinci Robot fund. Its the machine that was recently used to remove my cancerous prostate gland so I feel I want to do something to help. Its an expensive bit of kit and the charity needs £2.4 million to keep it here in Portsmouth. It has also been agreed I believe, that our hospital will soon be the south of England's training centre for surgeons across the EU which sounds an interesting and I suspect, a future money making scheme for the hospital. I have opened a page at www.justgiving.com/Reg-Edmunds. Its a bit corny I know, but I am hoping that my son will make it more presentable when he gets home this evening, I'll just leave it all to him!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:57:11, 06/07/15 »
My son said he would tidy my 'Just Giving' page on the 1st July, 6 days later and nothing! You just can't get good staff nowadays!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:30:27, 21/07/15 »
This is it! I fly off to France tomorrow morning to attempt the GR10. If I finish I hope to complete within 60 days. My son has sorted my Just Giving page (www.justgiving.com/Reg-Edmunds) The local newspaper gave me an almost full page spread (page 17, The New, Portsmouth) but gave the my email address and my Just Giving incorrectly. Never mind it was worth a try. All the best to everyone on the Forum.

AZALDO

« Reply #19 on: 18:50:54, 21/07/15 »
I am with you in spirit.......... march on.  O0
"I walk, therefore I am."

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:44:54, 24/07/15 »
I started my hike today. My chest strap snapped off about 2.00pm but I managed a Heath Robinson repair which should get me to the next village. I embarrassed myself, somehow took a wrong turning and ended up hiking in a circle and finished up back to a spot which I had hiked through this morning. The sun is so fierce I ended up a bit desparate for water. I found a stream and was able to use my filter, drank 5 mugs and still felt thirsty. Tomorrow will carry 4L water instead of 2L. Heavy I know but needs must.

christer

« Reply #21 on: 10:45:25, 28/07/15 »
The very best of luck to you! I (unfortunately in some ways!) am back in employment otherwise I would have loved to have joined you. 60 days should be plenty, so don't feel stressed when you inevitably take a wrong turn or something else happens.

Aside from the heat and water issue you have already encountered, just remember that the weather can change very quickly. Sometimes the temp can drop by 15-20 degC in as many minutes. Whenever you feel the climate change, make a mental note to stop and assess what is happening. All the more important when you are camping as I seem to remember you are.

If there is any data coverage out there, or at times when you can get wifi - I have a weather app called WeatherPro. It cost a tiny fee for a year but it has current weather maps a couple of hours either side of where you are in 15 min intervals so you can see what is coming your way (or not). Also, it has a 2 day weather map, so you can see likely local weather a little further out. You can also see any local alerts in terms of extreme weather. In Norway I found it to be pretty accurate in the mountains, although I obviously do not know whether you use smartphones etc:D

Buen Camino - what an adventure!

Christer

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:05:16, 28/07/15 »
The sun is so fierce I ended up a bit desparate for water. I found a stream and was able to use my filter, drank 5 mugs and still felt thirsty. Tomorrow will carry 4L water instead of 2L. Heavy I know but needs must.

I have the same problem with water, in the uk in winter i only take a small flask of coffee/ribena and don't need any water but when I am dong walks in heat like you I need 3/4 litres like you. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy