Author Topic: Mapyx Quo mapping system  (Read 14492 times)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Mapyx Quo mapping system
« on: 14:49:38, 02/01/15 »

I started to use Mapyx Quo mapping system when I decided to contribute walks to Walking World http://www.walkingworld.com/ and wondered if anybody on this site uses the software?

The software is free to download but you have to purchase OS map tiles which cost £1.89 for a 10x10km square. However Mapyx often offer tiles at a discount! It was easy to download and there is a good digital guide to download to get you started.

To prepare a route you establish waypoints  at each change of direction along the route. The software then calculates the distances between each waypoint, the height change between waypoints and the total distance and overall height climbed. Notes can be added to each waypoint to guide you to the next one.

I’m not a computer geek but found it very easy to get to grips with. The advantages I found over paper and pencil are:
a)        it’s easy to adapt a route to the distance you, or a group, like to walk.
b)       It shows how steep is the terrain between points
c)        It reduces the time taken to plan a route
d)       The completed route can be downloaded to a GPS unit. I don’t have a GPS unit so can’t comment on how effective this is although I do send a GPS conversion to Walking World when contributing a route.

The disadvantage is the cost of map tiles compared to downloading a free OS or Streetmap.

One feature I like of the routes on Walking World is the inclusion of a photograph at each waypoint showing the next path to follow. This can be very useful if some scallywag has removed a waymark!
Regards Keith

CamHam

Re: Mapyx Quo mapping system
« Reply #1 on: 22:44:44, 03/04/15 »
Hi Keith, I've been using it for a few years now and don't have much in the way of complaints!  I bought the 2013 OS Whole UK at 25k when it came out and I use that for route planing and the creation of GPX files etc.   I occasionally  print out paper maps from it for walks where I haven't got the real thing and it's a one off need. I didn't go for the Lowrence GPS unit as it had a few too many unimpressive reviews so bought a Garmin eTrex 20.  OS Full UK at 50k for the eTrex is available for about £24 on the net so main planning etc is done using Quo and exported as a GPX, navigation is by paper OS25k with the eTrex as a back-up.

Cheers,

Dave.
Dave B.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:56:17, 04/04/15 »
Thanks Dave.

I forgot to say in the opening post that the Mapyx 1:50,000 map tiles covering an area of 40x40km are only 80p plus VAT.

The 1:50,000 maps for the eTrex at £24 for the full UK seems a good deal. Could you manage just using the eTrex without the paper maps? Could be very useful if you were doing long distance footpaths.

Regards Keith

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:27:12, 05/04/15 »
I manage without paper maps and have done so for years now.  My Etrex 20 is my main navaid with ViewRanger on my phone as a back up.  I wouldn't encourage anyone simply relying on one device though, just in case something goes wrong.

So for me it would either be 2 GPS 'devices' or a GPS device and a paper map ... but maybe I'm overcautious  ;)
Where there's a will ...

visitor

« Reply #4 on: 19:42:54, 24/07/15 »
I just bought some map data from Mapyx, but can find absolutely no use for it, because I want maps not walking directions.  Quo seems to be unable to export data in any useable bitmap format except screen grabs.  As far as I can see I have paid good money for a useless spin on what is available for free as Ordnance Survey Open Data.  Am I missing something? Can anyone tell me anything to think more charitably towards Mapyx Quo?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:24:14, 24/07/15 »
Sorry this is going off topic, but I'd like to thank Welsh Rambler for drawing my attention to Walking World, a site I was previously unaware of. Although I spend a lot of my time browsing, it hasn't come up in my searches (perhaps some SEO is needed?).
I've had a little look at it, and I'm pleased to have found some walks that appeal to me. If I have any criticism, I'd like to see the lengths of the walks included in the lists of walks for different areas. It would make selection quicker and easier, instead of having to look at each one individually to find its length.
As a self confessed skinflint I'm not usually interested in anything commercial when there are often free alternatives online, but in this instance I think I'll be signing up.

maxmarengo

« Reply #6 on: 14:12:23, 26/07/15 »
I have been using Mapyx Quo for over 3 years now. I find it very easy to use: importing and exporting routes, tracks and other overlays are a definite strength. I use it to plan routes and keep a track of walks I have done. In my local area, I have overlaid a load of extra data (AONB boundary, parishes, ancient woodland, SSSIs etc) to help with footpath monitoring and other work I do for a local Society.

The maps seem to be very good value. I tend to buy squares as I need them, so there is not big outlay. It is easy to export a map and route to a pdf so I can use it on a walk or share with someone else.

The negatives for me are that development and support seem a little limited. I can think of only one update since I started with Quo and no noticeable upgrades. Also the related forum is pretty much dead and interaction with support is poor. I reported an issue with export of gpx files (the xml was not valid given the gpx spec.) and got no notification of a resolution.

For now the package is a good fit to my needs, but the lack of activity concerns me and if I was starting again now, I would certainly look at other packages.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:18:42, 26/07/15 »
What are the alternatives to Mapyx Quo for off line use for planning routes and exporting to satmap unit.

Often when I am away I don't have internet access so I can't use the online satmap planner.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

roddyp

« Reply #8 on: 20:17:39, 01/09/15 »
I just bought some map data from Mapyx, but can find absolutely no use for it, because I want maps not walking directions.  Quo seems to be unable to export data in any useable bitmap format except screen grabs.  As far as I can see I have paid good money for a useless spin on what is available for free as Ordnance Survey Open Data.  Am I missing something? Can anyone tell me anything to think more charitably towards Mapyx Quo?

It sounds like you just bought the wrong product for your needs. If you want maps on a tablet/phone, use Viewranger, or something similar.

Mapyx is for PC-based mapping, and allows you to view - and print - maps. I did a blog post about this a while back... http://butnoidea.co.uk/2011/10/16/maps-for-walking/

Neither 1:25000 or 1:50000 mapping data is available under OS OpenData. 1:50K is available via OS OpenSpace, but that's for website use only. The OS License prohibits offline use, AFAIK.

It's unfortunate: Mapyx had mobile use long before Viewranger, but only on Windows Mobile 5, which is dead and gone. They never bothered to port to iOS or Android :(

As MaxMarengo says, support and updates for Mapyx is now close to nonexistent, but at least the software is pretty robust.

I am just going outside, and may be some time.

Read my blog at http://butnoidea.co.uk

maxmarengo

« Reply #9 on: 08:44:42, 02/09/15 »
Ironically, after our comments, Mapyx have just released an update! More about fixing issues than enhancing the product.

DrJase

« Reply #10 on: 23:32:45, 03/10/15 »
I've used Mapyx Quo and Memory Map for many years and be honest, there's nothing to choose between them. Started first with Memory Map, but found the fact that (at the time) you *had* to buy maps in great big chunks which was quite expensive - it still is.

I wanted to "upgrade" from OS Landranger maps to OS Explorer maps and Quo, with it's cheap tiles and free software, meant you could use it on a "pay-as-you-go" basis and build up your map coverage as finances allowed.

I've always used paper maps, but when mobiles started to become GPS enabled, I upgraded to one to use in conjunction (like many people do with phones and GPS devices today) with paper maps. I liked to go back and upload my tracks and to see where I *actually* went and just analyse the various timing distance stats etc, as well as for Geocaching, which doesn't work easily with paper maps.

Both Memory Map and Quo had "apps" that worked on Windows Mobile right up until Windows Phone 7. Then they were incompatible. The great thing about the apps was that you downloaded the necessary map segments with the routes, Geocaches etc and they were really nice little systems. I also had Tomtom installed, so all my GPS bases were covered.

I sort of blame Microsoft for the lack of mobile apps from both Memory Map and Quo as they shifted the goal posts a little too far meaning both apps would need reprogramming from the ground up. You could argue it was in both companies interests to do this and provide apps for iOS and Android to boot.

There was a helpful person on the Quo forum called "Grega" but they went silent over time with the on going complaints about the lack of mobile support and now I believe the forum is no more.

However, both companies have now provided Android apps but guess what, the pricing is through the roof for Memory Map - £166 for Explorer GB although it's licenced for 5 devices, reasonable for Quo  £16 +VAT for a year - but you need and active Internet connection which I don't want to  have to rely on out and about and use up my data allowance.

So since the demise of Windows Mobile 6.5 I've taken the plunge and bought various Garmin devices over the years (Etrex, Etrex Legend HCx, Etrex 30 GPSMAP 64st) and I've never looked back.

There were no mapping capabilities on the Etrex, the Legendjust had Topo maps which were great at the time, and with both the Etrex 30 and the GPSMAP I've used Garmin's Bird's Eye Select as again tiles can be bought as and when required - although they are £20, you do get a fairly large area.

And I've never looked back. I would never use a phone now for GPS, except for perhaps in an emergency in the car. I used Quo on my Laptop to do all the usual stuff and upload routes etc to the Garmin.

I would honestly recommend to anyone to do this and keep the phone as a phone.
Those who wander are not always lost...

UKHiker

« Reply #11 on: 17:29:37, 04/10/15 »
What are the alternatives to Mapyx Quo for off line use for planning routes and exporting to satmap unit.

Often when I am away I don't have internet access so I can't use the online satmap planner.

I use View Ranger on my phone and I've also got it installed on my Kindle. It's very good offline you can plan routes and these can be synchronised with your managed devices. You can also plan routes from the View Ranger Website and import other peoples routes.

All in all I am very impressed with this free app. Maps from OS costs a small fee.
http://squarepixs.blogspot.co.uk/
To boldly go where I haven't gone before ...

DrJase

« Reply #12 on: 21:19:27, 04/10/15 »
Hi UKHiker,

But if you want consistency with paper maps, you still have to pay for the OS stuff.

On other forums, I've heard slightly worrying concerns about the accuracy of free maps compared to the OS maps - important landmarks not located at the same Lat/Long as OS maps.

Has anyone got an real world or anecdotal experience of the truth in this?
Those who wander are not always lost...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:35:30, 05/10/15 »
And I've never looked back. I would never use a phone now for GPS, except for perhaps in an emergency in the car. I used Quo on my Laptop to do all the usual stuff and upload routes etc to the Garmin.

I would honestly recommend to anyone to do this and keep the phone as a phone.

I used my Iphone5S with Viewranger in an aluminum hard case and carried a battery backup for over a year and a half in all weathers and recently upgraded or so i thought to the satmap64s so i didnt have to remove my gloves in extreme weather to use the touchscreen. To be honest ive gone backwards both in technology and the poor software and it is crap in comparison in many ways and only better in 2 (use with gloves and battery life). I realsise i am a minority on this opinion and i am happy to stand alone but the phone combo leaves the Garmin in the dark ages for me and i would say to anyone starting out to try their phone first and see how they go before spending money on an expensive dedicated unit that under performs. Fine if you find a dedicated unit better but a phone combo with VR works and works very well  :)

I use View Ranger on my phone and I've also got it installed on my Kindle. It's very good offline you can plan routes and these can be synchronised with your managed devices. You can also plan routes from the View Ranger Website and import other peoples routes.

All in all I am very impressed with this free app. Maps from OS costs a small fee.

Totally agree its the best out there and is the cheapest in any combination, totally free on OSM mapping and dirt cheap to buy OS tiles and packs.

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

UKHiker

« Reply #14 on: 19:03:35, 05/10/15 »
Hi UKHiker,

But if you want consistency with paper maps, you still have to pay for the OS stuff.

On other forums, I've heard slightly worrying concerns about the accuracy of free maps compared to the OS maps - important landmarks not located at the same Lat/Long as OS maps.

Has anyone got an real world or anecdotal experience of the truth in this?

My only slight concern is the accuracy of the GPS in my phone. I don't think its that accurate, especially when there is no network coverage. I assume the network helps lock onto the GPS satellites and without that it takes time to get an accurate lock. Sometimes I think it is at least 100-150m out from the true position. But as long as you are aware of your surroundings and can read the map you can take any errors into account.
http://squarepixs.blogspot.co.uk/
To boldly go where I haven't gone before ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy