Author Topic: Short break in Settle  (Read 7699 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Short break in Settle
« on: 07:47:05, 15/01/15 »
Going for a short break in Settle... not that long alas. Probably arrive late afternoon on Wednesday 11th Feb, and depart late morning or early afternoon on Friday. "Plan" is to do a 10 or 12 miler on the Thursday, starting from Settle itself. I'm coming by train, and staying at King William B and B near the station.

Any recs? Either for routes or places to eat or to have a look at in Settle itself. (may well end up having a quick look round walking shops in Settle on the Friday before meandering down to get train back.)

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: Short break in Settle
« Reply #1 on: 08:42:55, 15/01/15 »
I'd be happy to show you around and walk with you if you like Paul?
Places to eat depends on your taste in food, we have plenty of 'good grub' pubs, top Indian, and Chinese. Italian and even fish and chips..  ;)
Walks, according to what you fancy? Of course visibility is an issue, walking in rain being no problem, but not having views makes 'challenging' walks less desirable.
Your B&B is next door to the Talbot where the atmosphere is great and food superb. (I don't do pubs, but like this one.)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:27:13, 15/01/15 »
I'd be happy to show you around and walk with you if you like Paul?
Places to eat depends on your taste in food, we have plenty of 'good grub' pubs, top Indian, and Chinese. Italian and even fish and chips..  ;)
Walks, according to what you fancy? Of course visibility is an issue, walking in rain being no problem, but not having views makes 'challenging' walks less desirable.
Your B&B is next door to the Talbot where the atmosphere is great and food superb. (I don't do pubs, but like this one.)

That's kind... and if you fancy an early start on the Thursday and a 10/12 miler...then "you're on". (Indeed...if you're particularly keen on a slightly longer route...then no problem...always find that having somebody who knows area on navigating duties makes the walk a fair bit easier.)

Bimbling Jean

« Reply #3 on: 18:24:53, 15/01/15 »
I remember going to a tea room called Elaines on a walk from Settle up via Stainforth and Smearsett edge to Feizor

http://www.stagwalks.com

Some interesting stuff on the way such as a huge kiln at Stainforth quarries, a waterfall and several caves plus an enigmatic stretch of wall.
The longest journey starts with a single step

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:04:46, 15/01/15 »
I remember going to a tea room called Elaines on a walk from Settle up via Stainforth and Smearsett edge to Feizor

http://www.stagwalks.com

Some interesting stuff on the way such as a huge kiln at Stainforth quarries, a waterfall and several caves plus an enigmatic stretch of wall.

Elaine's at Feizor, a success story if ever there was one. The Hoffman Kilns are a treat to walk through, bright sun for good photos or night for 'ghost hunting'.. ;) I presume the enigmatic wall is the very ancient 20 feet of wall on Smearsett. Oh and Catrigg Force, getting difficult to see because of 'weed' tree growth.

I have to agree it is a very nice walk.  O0
Peter

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:14:06, 15/01/15 »

That's kind... and if you fancy an early start on the Thursday and a 10/12 miler...then "you're on". (Indeed...if you're particularly keen on a slightly longer route...then no problem...always find that having somebody who knows area on navigating duties makes the walk a fair bit easier.)

Early start? How early?  ;D . I have no particular walk in mind, that depends on weather and your taste in walks. There is no shortage of choices, the walk described by Jean is quite lengthy but very nice. Though fitting the kilns in isn't simple. They are a bit off route, but easily accessible as a short walk from Settle.

Peter

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:59:02, 16/01/15 »
Feizor was a pleasant discovery for me a few years ago.  But here's an addition.  Get the train from Settle over the famous viaduct to Dent and walk back, finishing through Feizor.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:33:57, 16/01/15 »

Early start? How early?  ;D . I have no particular walk in mind, that depends on weather and your taste in walks. There is no shortage of choices, the walk described by Jean is quite lengthy but very nice. Though fitting the kilns in isn't simple. They are a bit off route, but easily accessible as a short walk from Settle.

Peter,
The early bit was my usual addiction to routine "I nearly always start walking by 9 pm when going on a walk... so that's what I "must" do". Everybody tells me i must be more flexible...so maybe I should start taking their advice. Seriously...if you fancy a joint walk, as long as we get back to Settle in the daylight hours happy to start whenever you tell me is a good time.

Like plodding through most forms of scenery...left to own devices seem to average about 2 and a half miles per hour through typical White peak terrain... but any hint of scrambling needed sees me making a long detour.

So... as long as we avoid any scrambling...all you need to do to sell me on route is say "this a good one for today's conditions".... first time ever in Settle, suspect I'll enjoy any walk in area. (Mind you, altirando's suggestion sounds very tempting... really enjoy linear walks.)

Paul

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:06:24, 16/01/15 »

Peter,
The early bit was my usual addiction to routine "I nearly always start walking by 9 pm when going on a walk... so that's what I "must" do". Everybody tells me i must be more flexible...so maybe I should start taking their advice. Seriously...if you fancy a joint walk, as long as we get back to Settle in the daylight hours happy to start whenever you tell me is a good time.

Like plodding through most forms of scenery...left to own devices seem to average about 2 and a half miles per hour through typical White peak terrain... but any hint of scrambling needed sees me making a long detour.

So... as long as we avoid any scrambling...all you need to do to sell me on route is say "this a good one for today's conditions".... first time ever in Settle, suspect I'll enjoy any walk in area. (Mind you, altirando's suggestion sounds very tempting... really enjoy linear walks.)

Paul

I'll assume you mean 9 AM which is no problem, I don't do scrambles myself. Dent station to Settle is about 19+ miles, which is more than my comfort zone.
Don't forget you will need some 'stout' walking shoes...  ;D
Peter

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:38:03, 16/01/15 »

I'll assume you mean 9 AM which is no problem, I don't do scrambles myself. Dent station to Settle is about 19+ miles, which is more than my comfort zone.
Don't forget you will need some 'stout' walking shoes...  ;D

Yes... did mean 9am!

19 miles is certainly outside my comfort zone as well. (I was going to have a look at a map tonight to have a guesstimate at length of route. Maybe later in year... on a perfect May day...after a couple of months stern exercise... then just maybe I'd do 19. Mind you...been making these optimistic assumptions for a few years now... can't offhand remember last time I did that sort of distance.)

Had a laugh at the "stout" walking shoes....given the sub zero conditions I fear from the Dales, my feet will be well shod.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:10:18, 17/01/15 »
Sorry, forgot the distance.  It is 25 miles if you take in Whernside and around 3,500ft of ascent.  But I did it driving up from home in the day.  Alternatively just get the train to Horton, go up on to the top of Ingleborough  then descend via Crummack Dale. Makes a real change to do a one way walk rather than the usual circuit. I can give you a detailed route - it is a sort of Yorkshire Twin Peaks.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:22:54, 17/01/15 »
Having been to Saturday morning coffee club and tidied house up a bit dug out map for Settle, and had a ponder what I'd have done "off my own bat".

Against background of never been in Settle...or anywhere near before...potential February weather conditions... and not having done much walking in last 12 months I'd have been well cautious. Think probability is that I'd have done one of two things.

Good weather: Walked out of Settle on Dales High Way towards Malham Tarn, and just plodded on for a couple of hours, and just see how I felt after 2 hours. Feeling really good, push on a bit...before re-tracing steps back to Settle or finding a different route back. (Suppose a slight variant of this, if there's good public transport links from Malham to Settle to do a linear Malham/ Settle walk?)

Poor weather: A long "mooch" primarily keeping close to the banks of the Ribble.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:32:45, 17/01/15 »
Peter,
Just sent you a PM with my mobile phone number...in case needed for contact on day or whatever.

Or I think I have...if you don't receive, let me know... and I'll try again.

Paul

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:32:10, 17/01/15 »
if there's good public transport links from Malham to Settle to do a linear Malham/ Settle walk?)

There's walking...? Bike I suppose... not only are there no good public transport links... there are no public transport links..  :o
Peter

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:43:18, 18/01/15 »

There's walking...? Bike I suppose... not only are there no good public transport links... there are no public transport links..  :o

That's one off the "possibilties list" then, don't fancy trying to hire a pony and trap for return leg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy