Author Topic: Food  (Read 6208 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Food
« Reply #15 on: 22:45:09, 03/02/15 »
:o :o Whose idea was it to choose Weetabix? Bloomin' yours  >:( ;D

Dried milk + cold water = milk doesn't it?  :) I say we take muesli when we go on our next wild camp  ;D
MAN UP ..... :D
porridge mountain man style uncooked wi cold water ...  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:59:54, 03/02/15 »
I make porridge with dried milk (plus hot water) April  O0

My walking food for a day walk is usually a cheese and sandwich spread sarnie and a Snickers flapjack, or a pork pie or cheese and onion pastie/roll.  Jam and peanut butter sarnies are pretty filling and, as "fuel", tick all the boxes too.  I usually take a flask, come winter or summer because there's something lovely about sitting there with a cuppa and enjoying the views  :)

I don't wildcamp but if I'm being a cheapskate on a weekend away, I'll take double the amount and it lasts just fine for the next day, unrefrigerated. 

I've usually got boiled sweets (and usually they're Jakemans Cherry Menthols) in my rucksack and pockets as on the move "snacks".

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:24:18, 04/02/15 »
I don't leave the house until I've checked that I've got 200g of chocolate...excellent source of emergency energy - I've really needed it once and so did a walking companion on another occasion.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Phil32

« Reply #18 on: 13:09:32, 04/02/15 »
I did 9 miles this morning fuelled by Tesco trail mix. After a couple of suspicious bites I decided it was quite moreish! Im definately more a 'fuel' person than out to enjoy a meal - so long as i've something to make me feel full. Perhaps over time my psychology will change there, who knows.

Reading through the thread now that i've got back to it theres a few new insights which I fancy giving a go. Luckily im happy to try most things!

As long as they dont contain cucumber.

Louwoo

« Reply #19 on: 23:19:09, 25/02/15 »
Bananas, satsumas, apples, grapes all lovely...plus flapjacks (peanut and marmalade 👍) and plenty of water.  There's usually a chocolate / dried fruit snack mix too. 
Sandwiches generally for the main meal of the day cheese and pickle, or my favourite banana and peanut butter.
I quite fancy most of that right now 😊
Peaks 2017: Pen Y Fan, Corn Du, Cribyn, Tor Y Foel, Blorenge, Skirrid.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:56:00, 25/02/15 »
Worth remembering that anything with fat in it needs more water  to digest it.So chocolate is not such a good idea. And that protein does not digest properly when the body is intensively exercising. Eat it the day before. For a day walk it is the breakfast that keeps you going. Lots of muesli.  Having said all that, it is surprising what can be done after a five a.m. breakfast of stale baguette and coffee, in the alps. 

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 00:09:33, 26/02/15 »
My wife makes homemade muesli with oats, chopped nuts, flaked coconut, dried fruit, and I've found that it makes amazing porridge. Definitely a good start to the day. At home I use equal volumes of the muesli, milk and water. To take away I find milk powder mixed in to the dry mixand then 2 measures of water works. If you can add the water the night before and let it soak overnight it's loads faster to cook in the morning and the dried fruit sort of rehydrates and is really nice and juicy.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:56:08, 26/02/15 »
My wife makes homemade muesli with oats, chopped nuts, flaked coconut, dried fruit, and I've found that it makes amazing porridge. Definitely a good start to the day. At home I use equal volumes of the muesli, milk and water. To take away I find milk powder mixed in to the dry mixand then 2 measures of water works. If you can add the water the night before and let it soak overnight it's loads faster to cook in the morning and the dried fruit sort of rehydrates and is really nice and juicy.
Sounds lovely Chris and easy to carry.

In my younger days we used to mix up porridge and corned beef for an evening meal. Nowadays you'd have to add a few chilli flakes for more flavour but it was filling and easy to transport.

Regards Keith

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:59:04, 26/02/15 »
I've found you can carry it ready measured into portions in ziplock bags. If you are careful you can then add the water to the bag to soak overnight. That way your pan is still free to make a brew first, to drink while you cook the porridge.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

Theo Frum

« Reply #24 on: 18:20:39, 27/02/15 »
I self-cater in hostels, not tents:

Breakfast: Muesli, milk.
Daytime: Sandwiches, nuts & biscuits. (occasionally pasties/sausage rolls instead of nuts/biscuits).
Dinner: Rice with Curry/chilli/chicken supreme, or pasta with sauce. (Or cold quiche if there's no kitchen.)
Evening: Biscuits & nuts.

I never use chocolate; it's too messy when the sun melts it, and I never take fruit; it doesn't contain enough calories to justify it's weight. Mint cake is disgusting stuff.

Sloth

« Reply #25 on: 23:14:57, 27/02/15 »
I just discovered dates. Love em to snack on, luv em in porridge. Really sugary dried fruit. I always carry chorizo sausage to chop into cous cous, rice or pasta, it really dresses up my bland meals.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy