Author Topic: Sleeping bags  (Read 18722 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping bags
« Reply #45 on: 09:23:50, 28/07/15 »
(on an unrelated note does anyone have the Zephryos 2 xl lite?- It felt as though the wind was blowing straight in!)

Mine is a standard Zephyros 1, and that was exactly what I felt on a Snowdonia mountain in May! Although I pitched in the lee of a rock outcrop, the wind was coming around both sides of it at once. I largely blocked up the end vents in the inner with clothing, only small draughts got in there, which didn't bother me, but the wind was blowing in really strongly through the mesh along the top of the inner door and I could feel it through my sleeping bag.

P.S. I now have a new sleeping bag, a Vango Venom 600 with EN ratings of Comfort -3C, Limit -10C, Extreme -28C, weight 1200g, and described as 4 season, for year round use. But I have yet to use it, that won't be until early September.
« Last Edit: 09:59:02, 28/07/15 by fernman »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 10:15:12, 28/07/15 »
I bought mine in 1983 in York and it is still doing fine after quite a few washes. The down is a bit thin around the hip region but great as long as it is not winter.

You can't beat quality gear

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 19:40:09, 28/07/15 »
I purchased the Mountain Ghost sleeping bag recently from Alpkit. Its a synthetic bag, but ffels like down. Priced at £90, might be more to your budget. https://www.alpkit.com/products/mountain-ghost
Paul

oldenuf2knowbetter

« Reply #48 on: 19:55:23, 28/07/15 »
Just to add to the mix, the snugpak tactical 3 is an excellent bag. Packs to a pretty small size, excellent for warmth, but does weigh about 1700 grammes.
Bought one initially for my daughters D of E gold as I was concerned about my alpkit down bags getting wet and daughter getting cold.
Turned out to be much better than expected.
Cheers, Neil.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 23:12:10, 28/07/15 »
Sounds like the weight of my Snugpak Softie 10 Harrier, which is 1750g.
But that is exactly why I've since bought a down bag, because of the weight.
The synthetic Snugpak one is now solely for base camp use.

Falconstare

« Reply #50 on: 08:22:41, 04/08/15 »
Thanks for that - as mentioned I have been looking at one of those but never seen one in the flesh.  I think I will look at Mountain Hardwear and some of those as well, because space and weight is very important for long distance hiking.  

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 08:46:53, 04/08/15 »
Thanks for that - as mentioned I have been looking at one of those

??? Not seen a previous post by you on this topic???

FOX160

« Reply #52 on: 18:05:42, 09/08/15 »
Hi Heather
I may be way to late but one reason you may of been freezing is that a Women sleeps roughly 5 celsius colder than a Man.
so the bag may have been ok for your partner at - 0 c but for you the bag is only good for +5c.
Then for yourself if you need a - 0c bag then you'll need a -5c bag or basically a Women's sleeping bag be best.

Mat wise get a mat with a good R value around 3.5 or over and this should insulate you between floor and mat.
I bought my Wife the RABWomen's Ignition 3 http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/women-s-ignition-3
Mrs is very happy with it and the materials are very soft and not too heavy.
Sleeping mats are Multimat super light 25 full size, self inflating with an R value of 3.9
« Last Edit: 18:10:09, 09/08/15 by FOX160 »

jj99

Re: Sleeping bags Oscar update
« Reply #53 on: 01:46:52, 17/08/15 »
Been out on the SWCP at the end of July and was happy with the Oscar.
Used it with a silk liner and I was suitably warm on cliffs and more sheltered camps.
I used an akto and a thermalite mat, so no draft issues.
I'm out walking again in September so I'll see again how it shapes up then.
But so far I am happy with the Oscar - i should add the rider that I have an aversion to down bags, by virtue of a bad experience in my teens. Hence I have a Lamina 0 for the winter.

I still have a Point Five Bedouin three-season (also synthetic) bag, that has finally given up the ghost because the pull cord has ripped its containing  material. It was a quality bag that I bought decades ago and has served me well. Perhaps that shows that buying quality equipment is the best option.

After my initial apprehension - at seeing the bag packed so small at the shop and me having paid a few quid for it - I was happy with it.
Got me thinking about how two of these bags put together inside one another would perform in colder climes, being a total weight for the two of 1kg. But as a single plus 5 is about right. Keeping the wind chill down helps, and had I been really cold I would have stuck the feet in the rucksack and adorned myself with more layers. In praise of the bag, it surprised me because it felt warmer than its weight would appear to justify - the measure being the mindset that says heavy is warm. The tag of three-season might be pushing it - three -season on the SWCP fine, but maybe not on a wild windswept pitch above Burnmoor Tarn in early March, if that qualifies for three season.

I need to take it out more this summer and test it at higher temperatures, but I am happy with the Oscar. It'll be interesting to see how it gets on in late September and into October, once it has been used a bit - ie squashed, packed and perspired upon. I was beguiled by it because of its weight and because it is made by Nordisk and I have an inkling that it is a little gem.

I use layers to keep warm/cool when walking. Maybe that's the way to follow for my sleeping gear.

It's late, I am doing the kind of rambling that comes of tiredness not from following an OS map.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy