Author Topic: Just what is this Magical 9kg BackPack weight  (Read 4023 times)

FOX160

So this magical 9kg Backpack weight. Just what does it include ? is it a weekends Hiking ? Does it include water and food ? I don't know!  So what do you carry in your Backpack to achieve this magical 9kg.   
Please describe and itemise the item and include the weight including your food.and water.  Lets just see how many achieve this or cannot be bothered and just want comfort and Fun !

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Just what is this Magical 9kg BackPack weight
« Reply #1 on: 21:14:48, 24/02/15 »
Where did you get that figure from?

Rajboy

« Reply #2 on: 22:05:47, 24/02/15 »
I think you mean the magical 5kg base weight which is easily achievable if your bank account is overflowing... Pack, Sl' bag, Cook kit and Shelter.
No changes of clothes except 1 pair of socks.
Extra layer for evening if req'.

That's ex water, which you can find on the way, (other than in a drought) and ex food.
No cooking...just add water to food.
Absolute max' for an overnighter COULD be 7/8kgs. SHOULD be 6/7kgs.
Ditch the toothpaste...messy..
Use Eucryl toothpowder. Very light weight. Just dip in your toothbrush ( the 'cut-off' version, of course !!!), no mess.
No soap, towel deodorant..What for??? you're camping, not going out to dinner!!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:52:45, 24/02/15 »
Spine race kit in January for Pennine Way was:-
Rucksack
Sleeping Bag
Sleep Mat
Bivvy Bag
Cooking Pot
Stove Gas Cannister
Spork
Lighter
1st Aid Kit
Blister Kit and tape
2 days food
GPS
Headtorch
Spare batteries
Maps and Case
Compass
Mobile Phone
Micro Spikes
Multi Tool
Whistle
Glasses
Spare Socks
Spare briefs
Snow Goggles
1 Litre Water
Total Weight 5.6Kg

However I also carried :-
two spare tops,
full waterproofs
2 pair Spare Gloves
Spare Buff
SPOT Device
Camera
Spare GPS and Camera Battery
Spare shoe insoles
Tent
Gaiters
Walking Poles
Survival Shelter

Making a total weight of around 9Kg.

Lygonos

« Reply #4 on: 00:04:19, 25/02/15 »
I'm a 200lb adult human - I don't really notice the difference between a 10lb and 20lb on my back as long as the pack is set up properly. I'm never racing anywhere either.

Once my knees are gubbed I may think differently but until then I'll stick with what I find adequate and comfortable.

Part of walking is the exercise part.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:43:04, 25/02/15 »
8 to 9 Kgs  is my usual pack weight when doing long-distance backpacking (including soap and towel - if you are backpacking for a month or more you will need it believe me!) which goes up to about 12 or 14 Kg when I have four or five days food for me and Dog and Dog's kit. It is not magical, the gear is mostly 5 years old so not the latest lightweight stuff, it just needs some thought and improves with experience, and I include a small deodorant, an inflatable pillow and a book as luxuries in that weight.

I have compromised on weight of some things like stove and sleeping mat which are slightly heavier that the most lightweight  because I like my comfort and a reliable stove.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:42:53, 25/02/15 »
Fox IMHO the magical pack weight is what you WANT to carry. That weight might be 5kg or 15kg or 20kg it is up to you to work out what you are happy with. If I could afford the ultra light weight sleeping bag, mat etc and cuben fibre tent I would buy them and save a bit of weight but I can't, so I'm stuck with a heavier pack than other people say they carry when wild camping.

Rajboy I take wet ones to wash with in the morning and deodorant to put on after when I go wild camping because I would most likely smell quite badly of BO after two days hiking in the mountains  ;D  I use public transport to get home I really wouldn't want to inflict the other bus users to my stale sweat  :)  I also use toothpaste and I manage without it getting messy  ;)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:16:05, 25/02/15 »
IMHO the magical pack weight is what you WANT to carry. That weight might be 5kg or 15kg or 20kg it is up to you to work out what you are happy with.
good answer ...  O0

i would be happy with 10kg, its Aprils makeup, shoes, and jewellery that bumps my pack up to 15kg ...  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:47:38, 25/02/15 »
i would be happy with 10kg, its Aprils makeup, shoes, and jewellery that bumps my pack up to 15kg ...  ;D

:o Do you smell smoke?  :o Your pants are on fire beefy  ;D

Anyway, I think your pack was only 13kg last time if I remember correctly  :)
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:33:05, 25/02/15 »
I stopped weighing some point last year and accepted my weight was what it was, I only do day walks but I can tell you this its more than 9KG.
With my flask 1.2l Bladder 1.5L and the dogs food its more than 3.5KG and I haven't packed the pies yet  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:46:03, 25/02/15 »
I only do day walks but I can tell you this its more than 9KG.
With my flask 1.2l Bladder 1.5L and the dogs food its more than 3.5KG and I haven't packed the pies yet  ;D

;D  ;D
Hate will never win

FOX160

« Reply #11 on: 08:03:13, 27/02/15 »
This is my kit so far.
My kit so far Exped 45L lightning backpack 1040kg - Zephyros 2 XL lite 1.9kg - Multimat 25 superlite Reg 490g - Mammut Montana 3 sleeping bag 1400kg  Mammut air pillow 39g - Primus ETA paclite 443g split weight - plastic spork 10g - Summit 4 person bothy bag 480g - TNFGore tex active jacket 400g - craig hopper corey111 fleece 300g - craig hopper prolite thin hooded fleece jacket 305g - Victorinox Huntsman knife 96g - Apple 4s 169g.  RAB Logo Beanie 56g RAB Phantom gloves 60g
Thinking of buying a Down bag to lose 320g and may if when on my own buy a Titanium cook set weighs in at 122g which in total including bag and save 631g in weight. But I do love real food and want my food fast and love fine wines and Beers 

Steelystan

« Reply #12 on: 16:38:11, 28/02/15 »
This is my kit so far.
My kit so far Exped 45L lightning backpack 1040kg - Zephyros 2 XL lite 1.9kg - Multimat 25 superlite Reg 490g - Mammut Montana 3 sleeping bag 1400kg  Mammut air pillow 39g - Primus ETA paclite 443g split weight - plastic spork 10g - Summit 4 person bothy bag 480g - TNFGore tex active jacket 400g - craig hopper corey111 fleece 300g - craig hopper prolite thin hooded fleece jacket 305g - Victorinox Huntsman knife 96g - Apple 4s 169g.  RAB Logo Beanie 56g RAB Phantom gloves 60g
Thinking of buying a Down bag to lose 320g and may if when on my own buy a Titanium cook set weighs in at 122g which in total including bag and save 631g in weight. But I do love real food and want my food fast and love fine wines and Beers
Why carry a bothy bag when you have a tent?  Just for lunch?

178/214.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy