Author Topic: Ben Alder  (Read 2928 times)

Stephen Mac

Ben Alder
« on: 09:21:11, 26/02/15 »
Well I am home again from my travels and this time I went once again to one of my favourite places Scotland :D . For me there is nothing quite like the Highlands. I know people say that there is no wilderness in Scotland but I would disagree. OK it is never going to be like Alaska or suchlike but for me it has a much wilder and more remote feel to the majority of the Alps. This trip however was somewhat abortive in nature as thanks to picking the wrong week weatherwise I literally climbed nothing :-\ . I had great aspirations but spent most of my time in my tent. Was it worth it.....I don't know. All I know for sure is that I intend to return soon :P . The story here.. http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2015/02/ben-alderi-came-i-didnt-seei-left.html
                                                                                                                           Stephen

Jaynie

Re: Ben Alder
« Reply #1 on: 12:04:07, 26/02/15 »
I am soooooo impressed!!

The photos are amazing. I want to go now, but might wait untill the snow has gone  ;D

I know it wasn`t what you had planned for , but it must have been exciting, and a great experience!

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:07:26, 26/02/15 »
Sorry to hear Stephen that you could not do what you set out to do but you still had some lovely shots and the write up was interesting.  O0

I don't think the experience was wasted, more an adventure to add to the rich tapestry of life  ;D

Regards Keith

Stephen Mac

« Reply #3 on: 12:35:19, 26/02/15 »
For sure it wasn't a wasted time. I had some new experiences and the promise of a return trip makes it worth while.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:04:26, 26/02/15 »
Superb photos there.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:11:53, 26/02/15 »
I'm a bit lost for words which will shock the folk who know me  :)

Crikey. That is what I call wild camping.

Your trip was so well worth it, those stunning pictures, the experience of the snow and the conditions. Great write up, we were all there with you reading that.  O0 Great stuff Stephen  :)
Hate will never win

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:37:28, 26/02/15 »
brilliant, that is what i call a wild camp
you have 1 life live it

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:57:01, 28/02/15 »
It's a good few years since I have been in the area. I walked a different route coming in from Rannoch Mill and walking in to Benalder Cottage from the southern end. It enabled me to take in Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil. 

In a return trip I walked in the same route as you did from Dalwhinnie to Culra to climb the Munros of Carn Dearg, Geal Charn, Aonach Beag and Beinn Eibhinn. A brilliant area to walk but with very long walk ins. From memory Culra is about ten miles from Dalwhinnie. That's why I cheated slightly and rode my mountain bike as far as the Bothy area before locking it up and concealing it before carrying on my walk. Cycling in and out takes less than a couple of hours rather than the nearly six to walk in and out on foot.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Stephen Mac

« Reply #8 on: 13:36:03, 28/02/15 »
 ;D Cheers guys. It was actually pretty cosy in the tent and soooo quiet. Pity the sleeping mat collapsed (again >:( ). It would have been tempting to stay longer. The worst part was trying to pack everything up and avoid the "hot aches" O0

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 01:43:40, 01/03/15 »
;D Cheers guys. It was actually pretty cosy in the tent and soooo quiet. Pity the sleeping mat collapsed (again >:( ). It would have been tempting to stay longer. The worst part was trying to pack everything up and avoid the "hot aches" O0

What's "hot aches"?
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Stephen Mac

« Reply #10 on: 15:14:56, 01/03/15 »
You lucky devil that you don't know what the "hot aches" are. Also know as the screaming barfies. Its the pain that comes as your fingers warm up after getting very cold. It is something that I am susceptible to and it has been known for me to faint from a bad attack. I hope you never get them. O0   

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:05:39, 01/03/15 »
Thanks. I have never heard the term and even after your explaination I have never heard or experienced it.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:03:49, 09/03/15 »
Have got to say I do a lot in Scotland , love it, BUT I don't do bad weather, last year we were planning a similar trip to scotland and the weather was dire so we got a last minute flight to Majorca instead.

As for the hot aches, its a climbing term really and as you say it almost make me feel like I'm gonna pass out, I find it even worse of you get it in your feet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy