Author Topic: TR Great Howe, Grey Crag, Harrop Pike, Grey Crag from Sadgill Sat 21 Feb 15  (Read 4761 times)

MarkA

the camera will be an expensive repair im afraid ...  :(

Speaking from experience, when you get a quote for repair, check to see if it's cheaper to buy a used one off the likes of ebay/gumtree/preloved. If it is, you'll be able to recoup some of the cost of the replacement camera by selling yours for spares or repair.
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I know this sounds like we are being selfish but, when we hadn't heard from them, I was concerned about their welfare.
I was seriously considering contacting Mountain Rescue and asking them to find April and Beefy and then to arrange for Air Sea Rescue to winch them on to a mountain.

I don't think they are over it yet either. There could be a touch of PTSD following the loss of Sam. His spirit is still up there with the all-seeing camera in the sky.
Incidentally the helicopter wouldn't have been any use, I hear their sat-nav is patched in to www.avoidingaprilandbeefy.com : They could have set the dogs on them though !

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Thanks April  O0 i know the route your talking about and would make a great walk, its a bit easier for me coming from the Kentmere side on the travelling as i will travel in from that side but for future reference there is so many routes that can be taken from Mardale Head.
I dont know what to do as i was thinking of bagging Loughrigg on an early morning ascent and then to Kentmere for this round  :-\
I will let fate decide on the day and see which way i go  :)

Looks like there were other members concerned about the lack of TR  ;D

Cant wait to see these loos though  8)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member

Cant wait to see these loos though  8)

It's almost worth hanging on !
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pleb

• Veteran Member
I was starting to think you hadn't been anywhere last weekend!
better late than never................ O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Thinking about Rhino's predicament - this may not be of use to you this time but I've also been up Harter from the Haweswater side, parking at the P at the southern end of the reservoir. The path is easy onto the Gatescarth Pass from that side.
I've done the Sadgill approach (after an abandoned climbing foray at Buckbarrow Crag):- up to Harter and back down Kentmere Pike & the ridge. This was  in an attempt to cheer ourselves up after a shorter climbing session than we expected.

Good luck.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Hi IM

Ive done Harter before back in October with DrNytol on a cracking route from Mardale head up Riggindale onto High Street then Mardale Ill Bell and then onto Harter, Branstree and Selside Pike, a bloody good and long walk. I just need the two that April and Beefy bagged Grey and Tarn Crag plus Kentmere Pike and Shipman Knotts to knock that end of the Far Eastern fells of my list so was looking for the shortest route missing of Branstree if possible although there is a great view of Riggindale from Branstree. There are so many good routes though from Mardale Head that this will be one of those i keep coming back to especially  Riggindale  :)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Grey Crag and Tarn Crag are a morning's work. You can easily complete them and make it to Penrith train station by 1230, as long as you don't head for the wrong top once you're up there ... Oops!

The other two, we followed Amadeus Wainwright route from the Quarry road up to the summit of Kentmere pike. Not to be recommended. It would have been just as quick Togo via the pass, or Adamseat( I think).

In reality you could probably combine all four fora good day out

The drive along Longsleddale is always quite exciting - so narrow in places. It's a white knuckle experience sometimes if you meet someone. Plus Longsleddale also seems to have its own weather systems which often include mist and rain....

April

• Veteran Member
You are the ruthless dealer backed up by your evil henchman Mr B  ;D

It is all beefys fault I'm totally innocent  :angel:

I was seriously considering contacting Mountain Rescue and asking them to find April and Beefy and then to arrange for Air Sea Rescue to winch them on to a mountain.

;D

You see what trouble you have caused Karl?

There could be a touch of PTSD following the loss of Sam. His spirit is still up there with the all-seeing camera in the sky.

Ah, poor Sam. Beefy has taken it all quite well considering.

Incidentally the helicopter wouldn't have been any use, I hear their sat-nav is patched in to www.avoidingaprilandbeefy.com

;D

I was starting to think you hadn't been anywhere last weekend!
better late than never................ O0

Hi pleb, hope you are ok flower  :)   We did go walking on Sunday too but it didn't go to plan. We wanted to go to Crammel Linn (up past Gilsland Spa in Northumberland but very close to the Cumbrian border) but the weather wasn't very good, it poured down and the footpath marked on the map was not to be found. We came to a dead end at a thick forest of conifers. I think you may only be able to access Crammel Linn via the road? We still did 10 miles but I only took 2 photos so didn't bother doing a TR for Sunday

I will let fate decide on the day and see which way i go  :) 

You could always use the glove of fate  ::)
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Ahhh the glove of fate, I might give it a go  ;D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Kind of sounds something like the 'dove from above': Coo  ???
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy