Author Topic: Hello from London-south west coast path advice needed please!  (Read 967 times)

cpin

Hi
I joined this forum in order to get advice from experts on walking the south west coastal path with my husband, 7 year old and our dog in the first week of August.  I need an easy 20 mile route to do in about 5 days. Figure my daughter can do 2 hours walking a day!
Any ideas? tips? HELP! Hoping to do pub lunches/dinners/b&b accommodation.
I was looking at Lyme Regis to Abbotsbury but then realised that it falls on the golden cap route which may be too challenging for my daughter (is that right?...comments)
thanks so much.

chrisj

• Veteran Member
Hi, I'm afraid I can't be any help with the South West Coastal path, but welcome to the forum.  :)
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

NightJar

Hi  welcome to the forum from south/yorkshire O0

mananddog

• Veteran Member
Hi
I joined this forum in order to get advice from experts on walking the south west coastal path with my husband, 7 year old and our dog in the first week of August.  I need an easy 20 mile route to do in about 5 days. Figure my daughter can do 2 hours walking a day!
Any ideas? tips? HELP! Hoping to do pub lunches/dinners/b&b accommodation.
I was looking at Lyme Regis to Abbotsbury but then realised that it falls on the golden cap route which may be too challenging for my daughter (is that right?...comments)
thanks so much.

Golden Cap is not too bad - a bit steep in places but easily accessed.

There is a lot of up and down on the SWCP but the section from Kimmeridge to Studland is very good. I think there is still a bus to Kingstone at least from Swanage.

The problem will be getting back to your car. There are places for B+B but they are few and far between  in some places.

Walking to Abbostbury is hard work as the last section is on shingle and even I found it hard on the thighs. The path between Lyme and Charnmouth is closed and you detour onto a road which is steep at the start and not much fun near Charmouth - I would give that a miss. Osmington to West Lulworth is also good.

Although the North Coast has a fierce reputation Tintagel to Padstow is not bad - or you could cut it short at Port Issac.

There is really no where of interest on the SWCP that is not steep in some parts.
This link can help you plan your accommodation etc

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-west-coast-path/plan

pathcruncher

Welcome to the forum cpin, from Herefordshire.

Have a look at The Lizard Peninsular; it should be possible to work out a programme, maybe starting from Marazion and working down towards the Lizard, or starting a bit further down and finishing at Cadgwith. A snack lunch may be necessary in places, but there is if I remember correctly a good selection of B and B’s etc.

Wherever you choose I wish you a great adventure  :)  O0

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Hi    Welcome to WF from North East Lincs  
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

NightJar

Hi, I'm afraid I can't be any help with the South West Coastal path, but welcome to the forum from S/Yorkshire O0

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Hi and welcome to the Forum..

You could consider starting off in the Torbay area, maybe Brixham going through Paignton, Torquay, Teignmouth and Dawlish to Starcross. You then have the option at Starcross of taking the passenger ferry to Exmouth or following the River Exe estuary to the outskirts of Exeter then back down the other side to Exmouth. If you like bird-watching it is very good http://www.avocetline.org.uk/places-to-go-and-things-to-do/wildlife-on-and-around-the-exe/.

From Exmouth you can then go to Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth.

Public transport is pretty good and plenty of B&B's available. Plus plenty of other things to see when your daughter gets tired of walking.

Regards Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy