Author Topic: SOUTH WEST COASTAL PATH WITH 7 YEAR OLD  (Read 2027 times)

cpin

SOUTH WEST COASTAL PATH WITH 7 YEAR OLD
« on: 14:33:38, 28/02/15 »
Hi
I joined this forum in order to get advice from experts on walking the south west coastal path with my husband, 7 year old and our dog in the first week of August.  I need an easy 20 mile route to do in about 5 days. Figure my daughter can do 2 hours walking a day!
Any ideas? tips? HELP! Hoping to do pub lunches/dinners/b&b accommodation.
I was looking at Lyme Regis to Abbotsbury but then realised that it falls on the golden cap route which may be too challenging for my daughter (is that right?...comments)
thanks so much.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: SOUTH WEST COASTAL PATH WITH 7 YEAR OLD
« Reply #1 on: 17:09:47, 28/02/15 »
Hi
Are you thinking of walking a couple of hours daily between different B&Bs or individual short walks returning to a base B&B?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cpin

« Reply #2 on: 17:17:31, 28/02/15 »
Exactly, a couple of hours a day and between b&b's.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:25:34, 28/02/15 »
Will you need to leave a car at the start or using public transport to and from each end of the 20 miles and back to London?

Would you expect to walk about 3-4 miles a day in the couple of hours?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cpin

« Reply #4 on: 17:39:39, 28/02/15 »
Whatever is easiest really. We are bringing the car and will need to park it somewhere! We plan on going to in laws in teignmouth for a few days after.

devonboy

« Reply #5 on: 22:31:09, 28/02/15 »
There are various Stagecoach bus services that run along the South Devon Coast which makes it easy to do linear walks & catch buses back to your start point. Service 11 Starcross to Torquay via Teignmouth & Dawlish. Service 12 Torquay to Brixham & Service 18 Brixham to Kingswear.  You can find all the timetables on line.

Cromey

« Reply #6 on: 22:26:24, 16/04/15 »
Hi,
  With a 7 year old and having a car i would do sections of the path not just one, there are some nice sections along the south coast like Branscombe to Beer and Brixham to Paignton to name just 2. The SWCP website is good and they also do a book aswell.

devonboy

« Reply #7 on: 09:47:07, 17/04/15 »
Coast path walking  are mostly linear and once started may not go near anywhere until the destination.

SWCP site gives graded suggestions for easy, moderate & challenging walks with ascent/descent graphs,
plus suggestions for cutting short a walk if needed.

Brixham to Paignton is described as challenging on SWCP site, which I agree with, I wouldn't attempt it with a seven year old.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy