Author Topic: [TR] - Great Glen Way walk - March 2015  (Read 1955 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
[TR] - Great Glen Way walk - March 2015
« on: 16:10:47, 22/03/15 »
I had a week off in March and fancied doing a National Trail or long distance walk. I had completed this walk twice before and thought I'd do it again for a few reasons. Some of which were, I could do it in 4 days and visit my family in Scotland for a couple of days. As I had done it before, the planning would be easy as I knew where i wanted to stay, how to get to the start and home at the end and where things like shops were along the route. One of the main reasons though is that I knew the path would be in better condition than many trails due to the surface being nearly all on harder paths/tracks and no mud...and so it proved. Also, it's quite an easy walk at around 80 miles  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I traveled up to Fort William the evening before I set off and stayed in a hostel near the start of the walk and set off about 8am. It was sunny but not warm enough to make you want to remove your jacket, it was actually ideal walking conditions.

A selection of the photos can be seen at http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/arcticfox2096/library/Great%20Glen%20Way%20March%202015 plus photos from some of my other walks.

The views near the start were good but my camera settings had changed for some reason and came out dark, like this one at the start.

Day 1 - Fort William to South Laggan - approx 24 miles.
From the start, you basically walk alongside a river then a canal to Gairlochy for about 10 miles but the views to the sides were very nice as the sun rose above the mountains, it's a shame that a camera doesn't catch the image that your eyes do.

After Gairlochy, you normally go along a forest path but this had been closed due to the path being under water so it meant a slight detour along a quiet road, but this meant you got better views of Loch Lochy and the hills in the background which were all snow covered. After Clunes, the rest of the day is spent walking along a forest track with a few ups and downs until you reach Laggan Locks. Not long after here was the Hostel where I was staying the night at South Laggan (Great Glen Hostel). It had always been a quiet hostel when I've stayed there before so I was delighted to learn that I'd be the only person in the dorm that night but there were still a few people in other rooms. Relaxing evening, using the free wifi and watching the football on TV before a good nights sleep.

Day 2 - South Laggan to Fort Augustus - 10 Miles

As Day 2 was only going to be a leisurely 10 mile stroll along quite level forest paths and canal footpaths, there was no need to get up and away early, so naturally I woke about 6am and couldn't get back to sleep  :02-grump.gif:  I didn't leave the hostel however til nearer 10am as it was only about a 4 hour walk and knew I'd be hanging round Fort Augustus until I could check into my hostel at 4-5pm. The sun was out when I started but I was in the forest so it was quite chilly. It should have been an easy forest path but they are constructing a cycle path just above this path along an old railway line and many of the trees had been bulldozed onto the path, meaning I had to hurdle and limbo quite a few. The view along Loch Oich was very nice in the sunshine as I found a nice bench to have a rest, not that I needed one but why not?

After the forest is a 4-5 mile walk along the Caledonian Canal into Fort Augustus which probably doesn't sound very appealing but the views to the sides were fantastic. It was at this point I saw 4 people who I had passed the previous day, I would only see 1 more person doing the Great Glen Way, he started 5 minutes before me at Fort William and I never saw him again until about 5 minutes from the end at Inverness.

By now, I had taken my jacket off and it was a lovely sunny walk along the canal with hardly any wind, just the sound of the water occasionally and the sound of birds including woodpeckers and other birds I don't normally see or hear in towns. Sadly, it wasn't long before I entered Fort Augustus where I bought some goodies and sat by the banks of Loch Ness looking for Nessie.

I decided about 3pm to head to the hostel (Morags Lodge)thinking that I might as well sit in the reception and use their free wifi/toilets/kitchen etc until I could check in but luckily there was someone to give me the key to my room and tell me that I would be in the room on my own again...result  :handgestures-thumbupright:  There was only one group of people in the hostel and they didn't come back until about 8pm so it meant I had peace and quiet to cook and eat my tea (4 Scotch Pies  :happy-partydance: ) then relax for the evening before another good nights sleep.

Day 3 - Fort Augustus to Drumnadrochit - Miles (High Route option)

I was looking forward to Day 3 as there was a couple of new higher route options instead of walking through the forests so I was glad to see that it was dry and not cloudy. I walked up a new zig-zag forest path until I was above the trees and the views from here along Loch Ness and the hills all around, were fantastic. There is a stone shelter that's been built with a bench in it that gives you great views along the Loch but it was a bit hazy. I'd love to come back one day and watch the sunrise from here.

The new section is well constructed and I had to keep stopping to take in the views, views you don't get if you take the lower route. At about 6 miles, you descend quite steeply towards Invermoriston where you can take a break at the picnic tables and a small shop, which sadly is up for sale at the moment. I hope the buyer continues to keep it as a shop as it's the only place along that stretch of the route where you can stop and buy a sandwich, coffee, chocolate etc. After a short break, I continued on my way which means walking up a steep tarmac road above the village but this gives you good views around.

Normally, you then go back down again towards the Loch but the new high route takes you away from this and instead gives you better scenery as well as a good path with the occasional bench/shelter to take in the views and rest those legs. You eventually meet up with the original path but it was certainly a more enjoyable route than plodding on through a forest, and more to look at including the wooden sculpture and the "Troll Bridge"

Not long after you rejoin the original path, you cut off and walk up towards a car park and road which goes on for miles and isn't great on the feet normally. By now, you are only a couple of miles from Drumnadrochit and you descend through the trees, many of which had been blown over and follow the track to the village. I was staying at the hostel (Loch Ness Backpackers) in Lewiston, which is basically joined onto Drumnadrochit.

As I approached the village, I saw the 4 people I had seen on the previous days and they were putting a tent up by the riverside. They inquired if I had any idea if there would be anywhere in the village that they could buy camping gas so they could make some tea. When I told them that there was always the option of the chippy/take away in the village, 4 faces simultaneously began to smile and thank me as if i had built the chippy myself just for them. It's nice when you've done a walk and can share a little bit of knowledge to help others.

I headed to the local Co-op shop (beside the chippy) and bought some goodies and something for tea before heading to the hostel. For the 3rd night I found that I was going to be in a room on my own and even better was the fact that the free wifi worked in that room  :handgestures-thumbupright:

The boy in the hostel gave me the usual speech about things to do in the village then told me that there were many nice local walks should I want to go for a walk in the evening. I think I gave him my "I just walked 22 miles, why would I want to go back out for a walk" look and proceeded to make my tea then relax for the evening.

Day 4 - Drumnadrochit to Inverness - 20 Miles

The last day of a multi-day walk is one of mixed emotions. Yes, you are glad to be finishing and heading home to a nice big bed and all the home comforts and/or family but you're also aware that your walk is ending and it's back to reality.

I was up and away early and grabbed a sandwich from the shop before setting off. A couple of miles round the road to warm the legs up before ascending through the trees to a forest track which would take you to the highest point of the whole route and then down to a picnic area, where I planned to sit on a picnic bench. I left early as not only did I want finished early in Inverness but also because the partial eclipse was happening that morning and I wanted to be on a section, high above the forest on a south facing slope to take in any eclipse. I got to this stage with 20 minutes to spare but it was quite cloudy. It got a bit darker as the eclipse started but i only got a couple of glimpses through the clouds of the actual eclipse. Ok, I didn't see much but I saw a little.

As I headed down towards the picnic area, a shower of rain started and this was the first time there had been any rain in the 4 days. In the previous 3 days, it had been warm enough to not have a jacket on so it was a bonus. The shower didn't last long but I knew there would be a few more before I finished.

After a quick break, there follows a narrow path, which has a cafe just off the path but I've never visited it as by this time I just want to get on with it, plus I have plenty goodies from Drumnadrochit still in my bag. This is followed by a few miles along a quiet road before you cut off and head towards the forest along a nice path. I know there is a nice bench just before you enter the forest and a welcome rest and lunch. This was probably the coldest stretch of the 4 days as it was windier and you were more exposed but soon it was back through the forest, dodging the many fallen trees blocking the path. A few miles along the forest path, you eventually see Inverness down below you and know the end is in sight...literally.

You descend quite steeply down towards the city, beside a golf course, canal and houses. After 4 days in remote areas, it's always strange to enter "civilization" again and the hustle and bustle of a city like Inverness. It's not long before you are walking alongside River Ness and you cross the bridge (but today they had closed it) which meant crossing the bridge further on. This meant a better view of the river and the castle, where the walk ends.

Along the last stretch of the walk, you think about the previous few days, the highs and lows etc and I was just pleased to finish with my feet and legs feeling as good as when I started. I start thinking about what I plan to buy in the city to eat and before I know it, the castle is over the road and I see the finishing post.

You finish, sit down and mentally say "well done" to yourself as there's no one around that you know to do it for you. People pass by, take photos at the finish post and you know that no one really cares about your achievement apart from you. It's a bit of an anti-climax really when you finish and realise that it's over...finished...now what?

Would I do the GGW again? Yes, I would but probably to it before/after the West Highland Way next time if I was doing it on my own. I would certainly recommend it to anyone wanting to do their first multi-day walk as it's not the hardest, the paths are good as is the scenery.

The rest of the photos can be seen at http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/arcticfox2096/library/Great%20Glen%20Way%20March%202015

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] - Great Glen Way walk - March 2015
« Reply #1 on: 21:27:25, 22/03/15 »
Great trip report! I travel up to Inverness once a week and was thinking about you on the walk last week.
My son lives near the finishing point at the castle and I always go over & say hello to folk who have obviously completed their walk when I can. Did you know that due to storm damage recently, the canal burst through into the river at Bridge of Oich? Loch Oich almost emptied itself into the river! The level fell to only a few feet....
Sparnel
ps. Well done by the way!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:00, 22/03/15 »
Great trip report! I travel up to Inverness once a week and was thinking about you on the walk last week.
My son lives near the finishing point at the castle and I always go over & say hello to folk who have obviously completed their walk when I can. Did you know that due to storm damage recently, the canal burst through into the river at Bridge of Oich? Loch Oich almost emptied itself into the river! The level fell to only a few feet....
Sparnel
ps. Well done by the way!

yes, there was construction going on at the bridge putting rocks in like a dam and a weir (cullochy) was destroyed a bit further along with the towpath on that side of the canal. I realised how low the water was when I saw the metal pontoon thingys that people use to get on/off boats and they were way above the water level and hanging down almost vertical instead of floating in the water.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:14:59, 23/03/15 »
Great read and nice pics bricam  O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy