Author Topic: Suggestions for Peak District walks  (Read 1510 times)

jhatter

Suggestions for Peak District walks
« on: 09:30:35, 26/03/15 »
Hi,

I'm spending a few days in the Peak District over Easter. It's not an area I know and would welcome your recommendations for 6-8 mile walks please. I'll be based near to Leek and was looking for routes around the Leek, Buxton & Bakewell area, but not much further north than that. As hilly as possible!

I went on a scout camp many moons ago near to Flash, so I would like to do Gradbach Hill etc.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Suggestions for Peak District walks
« Reply #1 on: 15:12:59, 26/03/15 »
Between Buxton and Leek, in the upper Dove valley, are the distinctively-shaped hills of Chrome, Parkhouse and High Wheeldon. 
I've climbed High Wheeldon on a walk from Earl Sterndale to Hartington  -  panoramic views from the top   :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:16:48, 26/03/15 »
Walked those and would recommend them too.
Where there's a will ...

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:46:55, 26/03/15 »
Lathkill dale and another one Monsal dale going through water cum jolly and the high dale follow the bridleway then head down through the woods to lees bottom and walk through great shacklow wood to Ashford i would start in Ashford to make it circular route monsal head is only a mile away up a nice country lane and you could stop at the Ashford arms for something to eat

werringtonwalker

« Reply #4 on: 18:01:59, 26/03/15 »
If staying near Leek it's almost compulsory to walk The Roaches.  This is Tittesworth Reservoir from the ridge.

Tittesworth (3) by nicklee1966, on Flickr

If you stayed by Gradbach Youth Hostel you may well have been to Luds Church as well.  The route along the valley from Gradbach to Danebridge and back via the Dane Ridge and Luds Church is an obvious gem as well.

P1040190 by nicklee1966, on Flickr

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

jhatter

« Reply #5 on: 09:14:05, 07/05/15 »
Thanks for all your replies. We did a lovely walk from Gradbach, an account of this can be read/seen here:
http://www.feetfirst-walking.co.uk/walk-22-15.html [nofollow]

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:50:25, 07/05/15 »
Looks like you had a good day nice photos and write up thanks for sharing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy