Author Topic: GPS advise  (Read 899 times)

silverfox

GPS advise
« on: 17:36:52, 26/03/15 »
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new gps system. The 2 I have been recommended are both Garmin, etrex 30 and the oregano 600. Apart from the cost and the fact that the oregano comes with maps installed, what's the other difference? Not to sure what the base camp feature is and if it's okay or would I need to purchase maps for the etrex 30?

I'm sure theres peeps on here that can advise the pors and cons for both.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: GPS advise
« Reply #1 on: 17:41:06, 26/03/15 »
I have an etrex30.  Basecamp is a bit like memory map.  Provided you have a GPS such as the etrex30 connected you can download maps and install them on the gps unit.  Basecamp allows route and track plotting which you can also outload to the etrex.  Have a look at the garmin website - I am sure there are demo movies there.
Solvitur Ambulando

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:06:37, 26/03/15 »
I have the Oregon 450 and find it brilliant others will tell you how good the etrex performs but I can't fault mine hope this helps
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:20:23, 26/03/15 »
Just to add on to what ninthace has said, the Etrex 30 has an altimeter, where the 10 and 20 don't. I would say most folk on here would tell you to go for the Etrex 20 on the basis of value for money, the Etrex 10 is too basic and doesn't allow map downloading.

I went for the Etrex 30 for the altimeter and has been very useful in the mountains, great bit of kit  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:09:03, 27/03/15 »
You need to ask yourself whether you need all of the functionality of the etrex 30.it is quite possible that the 20 will be more than sufficient and it is a great little unit.It is better with maps installed.These can be got quite inexpensively.A couple of my mates got OS UK for £23 of ioffer and they work fine or alternatively you can get "look and feel" maps off talkytoaster for a similar price.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:46:11, 27/03/15 »
I use free OSM mapping. There are various threads here with links to sites that provide them.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy