Author Topic: TR The coastal path at Whitehaven Tue 24 Mar 15  (Read 2275 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I have a few days holiday to take before the end of March so on Tuesday I headed off on my own to Whitehaven to explore the coastal path. I’ve heard it is pretty special and after my visit I can say it is indeed very special and I want to see more of it. So after one hour and fifty minutes on the bus I got off near the marina at Bransty Row. There was a bit of sunshine but the wind was cold.

Whitehaven Marina

The Candlestick is a mining relic from the Wellington Pit, it looks like an old chimney but was an air vent

The harbour

Looking back at the Candlestick and harbour as I start to walk south toward St Bees

With the time I had for the walk I hoped to get to St Bees Lighthouse and return the same way.

The view south along the coast toward St Bees

One of the ruined mine buildings on the coast here, this one is Saltom Pit

This was on the information board above the ruin

It made grim reading  :(

St Bees Lighthouse can just be seen now

The path easy so far, now became a bit more “interesting”

The coastal path traverses the cliff on a terrace path

There is a bit of a drop on the right and the path gets quite close to the edge in places

A hazy view of the Scottish coastline

Looking back toward Whitehaven

I got to the Quarry Bungalow once at the end of the cliff terrace. The path now continued even closer to the edge of high cliffs. There was a jcb working in the quarry next to the path and I didn’t fancy anyone watching me dithering along the path  ;D so I diverted from the cliff path and walked on the footpath pointing to Sandwith for a while then turned right and then another right to rejoin the coast path.

Hay bales and Scotland

The cliffs are pretty with the gorse in flower

The path does get very close to the big drop down to the sea here too

I had ran out of time now, I’d walked for 2 hours and I had to have some lunch then return to Whitehaven for the bus. I didn’t quite reach the lighthouse after all. I will definitely return to do the whole route to St Bees. Beefy you will have to come next time but we will have to get up early and get the 7.10 bus from Carlisle  :o 7.10  :o

On the way back

St Bees Lighthouse and a hay bale

I had my lunch here sitting looking at this view along with the view of the sea then set off back the way I’d come.

The fells of Lakeland above Ennerdale, Great Borne and Grike seen from the start of the Quarry Bungalows footpath

Returning on the terrace path

Looking back at the dramatic looking cliffs

What a great day out with dramatic scenery and an interesting history lesson too. I only wish I’d got the 7.10 bus instead of the 9.10 one so I could have spent more time here. I’d walked about 8 miles altogether and I felt alright again thank goodness after feeling leaden legged at the weekend. When do you want to go to Whitehaven then Beefy?
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR The coastal path at Whitehaven Tue 24 Mar 15
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:03, 26/03/15 »
great TR and shots Ape' ...  O0
looks an interesting bit of coastline,
someones missing tho?  ;)
yes will have a trip out there sometime
any wild camp spots ..  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:17:18, 26/03/15 »
Great report, with this, the Lakes and the Pennines, we live in a great county!
Solvitur Ambulando

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:47:48, 26/03/15 »
Some lovely coastal scenery April and sounds a very enjoyable walk. Thanks for sharing  O0

Regards Keith

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:59:51, 26/03/15 »
Great photos April   :)    A very interesting coastal walk.  It's amazing to think that Saltom was once a scene of industrial activity

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:39:52, 26/03/15 »

Who is missing?  :-\  ;)

Great report, with this, the Lakes and the Pennines, we live in a great county!

Thanks ninthace  O0 We do live in a great county and next door is Northumberland, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Borders  O0

Some lovely coastal scenery April and sounds a very enjoyable walk.

It was lovely WR  :)

Great photos April   :)   

Thanks Dovegirl  O0

Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:17:51, 27/03/15 »
Nice one April, as I have said before the St Bees head bit is stunning, try to time it for low tide and you can get below the cliffs and have a good explore.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:25:16, 27/03/15 »
Lovely pics of a really nice bit of the lakes. O0

As has been said we are lucky to live in such a beautiful country ;)

I thought the air in those pics seemed somehow clearer ;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:46:47, 27/03/15 »
Great TR April and lovely shots of the coastal area, me and Mrs R were going to this neck of the woods a couple of years ago and got as far as the Northern Fells so we still have to visit it. Its funny how you set out to do something and it all ends up being different, maybe ill get there in the coming years. Hard to believe as a nation and country we used to allow children to work in mines and factories and some parts of the world still do.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:58:12, 27/03/15 »
Nice one April, as I have said before the St Bees head bit is stunning, try to time it for low tide and you can get below the cliffs and have a good explore.

Thanks mwm  :) I didn't get as far as St Bees Head and I've heard that is the best bit  :)

Lovely pics

Thanks Karl  :)

I thought the air in those pics seemed somehow clearer ;D

;D

Hard to believe as a nation and country we used to allow children to work in mines and factories and some parts of the world still do.

Thanks Rhino  O0 Yes it is sobering when you think that children still do have to work in awful conditions elsewhere in the world  :(

Hate will never win

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:02:16, 28/03/15 »
Great TR, you remind me that I stopped off in Whitehaven a few years ago on a return journey from Scotland. Makes me wish I had allowed enough time there to take a walk where you did.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:40:50, 30/03/15 »
Thanks BWW, the walk is well worth doing  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy