Author Topic: Hiking in wales  (Read 4472 times)

Nénuph

Hiking in wales
« on: 16:35:24, 01/04/15 »
Hi everyone,

I have some holidays in May and June, and I want to go hiking in Wales. I have a litlle problem, I don't know what to do. I see there is a lot of national park and I also see the offa's path.  :-\   
I want to do wildcamp, campsite or youth hostel. So I want to walk more or less 2 weeks.

What can you advise to me ?
If you want some adventure I shall be delighted to have someone with me !!  O0

Thanks in advance

Nénuph

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking in wales
« Reply #1 on: 19:23:02, 01/04/15 »
Hi Nenuph,

Well, where to start?!

There are three national parks in Wales: Snowdonia; The Pembrokeshire Coast and the Brecon Beacons. I don't know the Brecon Beacons, so I'll let someone else advise you about that.

I would suggest you make Snowdonia the focus of your time in Wales. It's where the biggest mountains are, for a start. In a week you could see all the highlights, and could stay in hostels, campsites and wild camp. Unless you drive, it would be awkward to get to Pembrokeshire but if you could, then I totally recommend it. You could spend a few blissful days walking the clifftops.

I would be happy to give you as much help as you like if you'd like to e-mail me at [email protected]. I have some time off in June too, so perhaps I could join you for a while.

Donpeblo

« Reply #2 on: 20:02:18, 01/04/15 »
Hi

I can't disagree with MoelPysgod that when it comes to options - Wales has hundreds! I can recommend the Brecons and Snowdonia from my experience. There are also some cracking hills in Mid Wales (perhaps not as many as in the national parks but still worthy of a few days exploring).

The real advice here will probably come when you know what do you want to do - long multi day hikes on lesser know ways (ideal for the wild camping element) or big hills (join the crowds on the train up Snowdon  ::) ).

Donpeblo

Llanpaul

« Reply #3 on: 20:51:39, 01/04/15 »
I know the Brecon's well and highly recommend them too. You will be fine Wild camping, campsites and Hostels etc there too.
The scenery is amazing and you get superb views of Wales and the coast. Its easy to get to from Cardiff. Its not as mountainous as Snowdonia.

Snowdonia is awesome the scenery and ruggedness is pretty good too. You can really get away from everything and explore some amazing mountains with absolutely remarkable views. The mountains are taller than Brecon and filled with lakes, reservoirs and endless walks.  Its really easy to get to towns and villages if you fancy a b&b etc.
It's full of history and would probably choose Snowdonia.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:45:22, 01/04/15 »
In quiet moments I fantasise about an ultimate week in Snowdonia, traversing the park and taking in all the highlights on the way. Example itinerary :

Day one: Train to Llanfairfechan, then walk south, the whole length of the Carneddau range. You'd take in the summits of Drum, Foel Fras & Grach, Carnedds Uchaf, Llewellyn, and Dafydd, and Pen Yr Ole Wen. Sleep at Idwal youth hostel.

Day Two: Climb Tryfan's north ridge, then Bristly Ridge. Walk from Glyder Fach, across Glyder Fawr, Y Garn, Foel Goch, Mynydd Perfedd, then down to Llanberis. Sleep at Llanberis hostel.

Day Three: Walk up Moel Eilio, across Foel Gron to join the Ranger's path, then up to the top of Snowdon. Down the south ridge, and at the end of the ridge turn west to reach Rhyd Ddu. Sleep in the Rangers hostel or bunkhouse at Llyn Cwellyn.

Day Four: Up Y Garn, take in the first few peaks on the Nantlle Ridge, then descend south before ascending Moel Lefn, Moel yr Ogof and Moel Hebog. Down to Beddgelert and sleep in a B&B.

Day Five: Rest day!

Day Six: Down the Aberglaslyn Pass and then head north east, aiming for Croesor. Then up Cnicht, and gradually descend down to Bryn Gwynant hostel.

Day Seven: Walk up to Pen y Pass, then do the Snowdon Horseshoe. Sleep at Pen y Pass.

I think that'd give you a pretty good idea of what Snowdonia's about. The first four days are pretty huge but you're not carrying camping stuff. Doesn't touch the southern half of the park but that means there's plenty left for next time!

Nénuph

« Reply #5 on: 18:54:27, 02/04/15 »
Thank you for all this answers !!  :D
Do you think snowdonia is accesible for beginner ? I practice some sports (I run a lot and other things) but I haven't make big hike.
So I think I will try to go in snowdonia. Is it easy to turns towards in the park ? I haven't any sens of direction !! ahah
So I will see for this !!  8)

Thank you

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 01:23:22, 18/04/15 »
Maybe someone on here can help to show you around in Snowdonia? Beautiful mountains, many paths to walk...if you are fit - not a problem.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

Nénuph

« Reply #7 on: 19:07:48, 26/04/15 »
Maybe !!  :) It would be great ! :D

I look the National trail website and I see the Glyndwr's way. Does someone do this way ? Is it easy to follow this way ?

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:57:58, 27/04/15 »
i live near the beacons, if you want some company there i will join you on some walks, just let me know, gary
you have 1 life live it

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:15:53, 27/04/15 »
think glyndwr way is in mid wales, and remember someone saying it was hard to follow, not well signposted. 

Nénuph

« Reply #10 on: 22:15:19, 27/04/15 »
Altirando thank you for this informations.
gary m it will be with pleasure but I think I will try to do the cotswold way. I think it's easy (there is a lot of smal village where I can find some food). And I have to go in Bristol for come back home. O0

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:37:05, 27/04/15 »
You will enjoy the Cotswolds, my daughter lives there, still the flavour of old England.  The route follows the line of the western escarpment, views across to the Welsh borders.  Lots of places for cream teas.

Nénuph

« Reply #12 on: 16:51:19, 28/04/15 »
It looks good !! :) I think I will go there !!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy