Author Topic: Cadair Idris walking survey  (Read 2925 times)

guykb

Cadair Idris walking survey
« on: 11:19:44, 20/04/15 »
Hi all
I'm currently studying Outdoor Adventure Education and have to complete a small research project around visitor perceptions and how there are effected by the quality of footpaths. This is specific to Cader Idris, so if are have walked this mountain are are willing to answer a quick survey, I would really appreciate it. I cant post the link on this forum, so if would be willing to participate please drop me a message and I'll send through the link.

Many thanks in advance
Guy

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
Re: Cadair Idris walking survey
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:46, 24/04/15 »
drop me a pm if you want.

ben
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

Robnolan

« Reply #2 on: 19:33:19, 26/04/15 »
And me

Donpeblo

« Reply #3 on: 16:39:42, 11/06/15 »
Hi,

I'm off up Cadair on Saturday so you can PM me with the info and I can help you.

Cheers
Donpeblo

Haggiseater

« Reply #4 on: 07:24:10, 15/09/16 »
What were the results of this survey ? I went up Cadair yesterday and there were 2 poor blokes laying new stones on the path . It was so hot, the sweat was pouring off them.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:28:37, 15/09/16 »
Have to admit I tend to avoid paths that have been reconstructed, just awkward to use, stepping up on a series of blocks of stone. On Cadair, long time since I was there, seem to remember curling round on to the east end of the ridge for the ascent rather than going straight up, from either side. Actually the whole Cadair ridge is one of the best ridge walks in the country, east to west with the sea in front.  Perhaps alternative ways up could be encouraged.  If there is a large carpark it is inevitable that most people will use it and go up from there. In effect creating an excessive wear problem.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:40:24, 15/09/16 »
I went up Cadair yesterday and there were 2 poor blokes laying new stones on the path . It was so hot, the sweat was pouring off them.

If that was on the Pony Path, the helibags of stone have been there for over a year waiting for the work to start, Must admit that when I saw where they had been dropped I didn't think that any repair or rework was necessary except on a very short section of about 30ft.

Taking Altirando's point, I prefer the eastern ascent direct from Dolgellau, along the ridge to Mynydd Moel. No stone steps but the downside is the tarmac road to Bwlch Coch where there is nowhere to park. In the times I've walked that way I've only ever me one other walker. The other quiet and stone free route is from Llanfihangel. Only done that once and it was uninteresting IMO.

Haggiseater

« Reply #7 on: 22:48:49, 15/09/16 »
This was on the path from Minffordd car park on a boggy area just before Llyn Cau.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:28:22, 16/09/16 »
Picking up on Penygadair's point, the length of Cadair  Idris is one of the best ridge walks in Wales but possibly not often done.  I think I parked in the main carpark and walked back along the lane before cutting up a trail to the dip at the east end of the ridge, going over the summit, eventually dropping down to a small lake and thence on to the waterside trail of the old rail line before cutting up past the youth hostel back to the carpark. Will try to recall a detailed route if anyone is interested.  Come to think of it, one of the best walks in Wales I have done, perhaps because of the situation overlooking the sea.  The low level circuit of the estuary is another great walk in this area - so do not always zoom off to the main Snowdonia peaks everyone.

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:20:22, 17/09/16 »
Drop me a PM
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:18:45, 18/09/16 »
Picking up on Penygadair's point, the length of Cadair  Idris is one of the best ridge walks in Wales but possibly not often done.

Me and erstwhile forumite DonPeblo did this last year, starting with Gau Graig and taking in every 600m+ top in the range before descending to Barmouth. Great day out despite the tops being clagged up. 15 miles and 4,500 feet of climbing, so we (or at least I) was feeling every step of the walk across the bridge to Barmouth but there was a feeling of achievment. Oddly, my favourite top was Tyrrau Mawr - having had not much to look at all day, the varied mix of flora was lovely. Heather, bog cotton, bilberry etc. etc. Lush.

On a clear day my favourite is Mynydd Moel - the view along the rest of the ridge to the sea is fine. Craig Cau is a great summit too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy