Author Topic: A few days with my tent  (Read 3180 times)

Stephen Mac

A few days with my tent
« on: 10:39:51, 24/04/15 »
Hi there.  I am heading to the Lakes for a few days this weekend for what will be my first real chance to explore the area. I plan to use public transport to get there and then carry food and tent for a few wild camping days. I have a notion of doing Helvellan and heading across to Scafell but I will see what happens.  Is there something I really should do??. Some wonderful place to pitch my tent??. I must say I'm looking forward to it.  Stephen

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: A few days with my tent
« Reply #1 on: 11:01:42, 24/04/15 »
Hi Stephen,
Sounds like a really good idea. There are plenty of people who can better advise you regarding places to pitch up (e.g. April & Beefy).
As far as must do places to see/walk - well you will be spoilt for choice everyone has their favourites and heading to both the ones you mention is the right thing to do.
I would recommend Great Gable, you can follow the traverse around it's Wasdale face and that is a view to behold (from the Westmoreland Cairn). This could be reached from Borrowdale/Seathwaite up to Styhead tarn. From the tarn you are in the centre of an area where you can easily get to Great Gable or Great End (to different hills/mountains) then across to the Scafell massif.
Sorry, I could go on for ever and there are countless places equally as good as well as some of the minor peaks which should't be missed just because of their lowly height. Langdale Valley being another great place to centre yourself - with easy access to the above places as well as the Pikes around that valley.

Incidentally, I follow your posts and really appreciate the trouble you put in to show off your 'stamping ground' to those of us that haven't ventured over there yet.
I am sure you'll enjoy wherever you go.

PS- visit David Hall's website for plenty of inspiration and route recommendations - www.davidhalllakedistrictwalks.co.uk
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Stephen Mac

« Reply #2 on: 12:38:03, 24/04/15 »
Thanks for the great ideas. I will get the map out and check it out. Thanks for the good words.  I'll have a report next week.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:41:48, 24/04/15 »
Hi Stephen

I think you are going to get a bit wet this weekend, the forecast is for a bit of rain and snow over the high ground. Can I suggest a bed and breakfast?  ;)

Here is a timetable for the Stagecoach bus services if you don't have one. The single fares are quite pricey so it might be cheaper to buy a Day Explorer ticket (£10.80) or a 3 day Explorer (£24.70) depending on how many times you are using the buses.

.pdf]https://www.stagecoachbus.com/uploads/2015summerlakesconnection_web[2].pdf

Camping spots in between Helvellyn and Scafell? There are lots to choose from. Thinking of more sheltered spots for this weekend - Angle Tarn below Bowfell, Sprinkling Tarn below Great End are popular choices. The Three Tarns on the other side of Bowfell on the way to Crinkle Crags is another popular spot. Codale Tarn is a nice place too below Sergeant Man and Tarn Crag (nice scramble up Belles Knott in dry conditions) or Stickle Tarn below Pavey Ark and Harrison Stickle.

It is a shame the weather isn't goingto be that good this weekend, I would have said anywhere on the way between the two mountains is worth seeing. I hope you have a nice time Stephen and don't get too wet. Beefy and I have yet to decide if we are going to wild camp, probably not unless the forecast improves, the memories of our soaking a week last Sunday are all too vivid  :)

I'm not sure if the link is working or not to the bus timetable, my pc at work is being a bit problematic  >:(

Hate will never win

Stephen Mac

« Reply #4 on: 13:31:23, 24/04/15 »
Thanks April

Stephen Mac

« Reply #5 on: 13:38:07, 24/04/15 »
A

Stephen Mac

« Reply #6 on: 17:50:46, 24/04/15 »
 :(  Weather is looking poor so I have decided to put the trip on hold. It would be a shame to go and perhaps see nothing.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:22:11, 24/04/15 »
If you do venture out I'd be sorely tempted to head to Langdale, the Pikes are simply awesome.
roll on the weekend

Rajboy

« Reply #8 on: 20:46:46, 24/04/15 »
Not a good weekend for the Lakes. Crap weather on it's way.

BazandDeb

« Reply #9 on: 07:29:14, 02/05/15 »
I was up on Scafell yesterday via Esk Hause and Broad Crag, still a lot of deep hard snow from Ill Crag up on to Sca Fell summit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy