Author Topic: Garmin Etrex V2 Mapping Problem  (Read 6201 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Garmin Etrex V2 Mapping Problem
« on: 22:12:45, 12/05/15 »
I am experiencing problems transitioning from older versions of Birdseye Maps to V2 mapping when out walking with my Etrex30.

I have found recently (post the 4.4.7 upgrade?), that when the trace crosses from an earlier version of a Birdseye map tile to a V2 map tile the transition is no longer seamless.  Instead, as the trace nears the edge of the tile in use the new map tile is not visible.  Effectively I am walking into a black hole which is disconcerting.  Once I have crossed onto the new map and the screen is completely black apart from the trace, I can force it to display the new map by zooming in until it paints and then zooming out again.  The new map tile is now visible but the old one is now a black hole.  This happens when going from V2 mapping to the older version and vice versa.  I have tried removing all map tiles from the memory card and the internal memory except for those I am using but it makes no difference.  It also does not matter if I use the memory card or the internal memory to store maps and routes.

Does any one have any ideas how to stop it happening apart from replacing all my old map tiles which would be expensive.  Is there any way of upgrading older versions of downloaded maps to V2?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Etrex V2 Mapping Problem
« Reply #1 on: 07:23:15, 13/05/15 »
Are these the Birdseye Select maps?  I'm afraid I only have the earlier ones so aren't able to look into this.  Or are you talking about the satellite imagery v2?  If so I've seen no similar problems, but then I have them installed on my Montana and not my Etrex 20.

If it is the satellite imagery and you have a valid subscription you could redownload the v1 areas and get the newer v2 imagery so that everything is v2.

You mention 4.4.7, which is Basecamp.  Are you seeing similar problems in Basecamp or is it just on the device?  If just on the Etrex is that up to date, latest is 4.20.  If just on the device you could also try a master reset.

Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:30:29, 13/05/15 »
Yes the problem is with Birdseye Select Maps, not Birdseye Satellite imagery.  Today I was heading on to Cross Fell using a V2 map.  As the older version map scrolled onto the screen the map I was on disappeared and could only be recovered by increasing the magnification so that the older map was kept clear of the screen.  The same happened as I was returning, the V2 Select Map only became visible once the older version was clear of the screen.  It seems the older version Birdseye Select Maps have precedence over the V2 maps.  The map setup on the Etrex only offers Birdseye Select Great Britain V2.  It correctly lists all the map tiles in use. No other Birdseye options are available  The Etrex software is up to date.

There is also a difference in appearance between the V2 and older maps in Basecamp.  The V2 maps are more detailed at certain zoom levels. See screenshot

I'll try a hard reboot
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:04:28, 13/05/15 »
I can see why that could be confusing!

It sounds like the map draw order could be different between the v1 and v2 maps.  If you right click the map in Basecamp and select Open you'll see the draw order.  If they don't match try adjusting them so they do and resend to your GPS.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:35:53, 13/05/15 »
I think I may be ahead of you.  Whenever I download a Birdseye map, I always set the draw order to 100 as I want them to be on top of the Freizeit Karte which I keep enabled in the background just in case (stems from once trying to find a fence line that turned out to be a Freizeit contour line!). 

I have checked, all maps are set to draw order 100.  Tried a hard reset too - no joy.  Map settings is also Enable-Brighter.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:51, 13/05/15 »
Then I'm out of ideas, sorry!
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:56:43, 13/05/15 »
Me too! Serves me right for being niggardly in the first place. If had paid garmin a fortune for maps of areas I didn't want to walk in,  this would never have happened.
« Last Edit: 16:27:45, 14/05/15 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:23:12, 14/05/15 »
Sussamb - how's this for a hypothesis?

V1 and V2 maps are at different "resolutions" - by this I mean that as you increase magnification in Basecamp they switch from 250000 to 25000 format at different zoom levels.  I have noticed that if the map display on the Etrex contains V1 and V2 mapping, it starts by showing only the V1 tile but as the zoom increases it suddenly switches to showing only the V2 tile. My theory is that the Etrex software cannot cope with showing different resolution images on the same screen.

Today's walk also involved a V1 and V2 tile.  I cured the problem by right clicking on the V1 tile file in the overlays window in Basecamp and selecting Create Birdseye Imagery from Selection.  This highlighted the map tile in the map display in orange and opened the normal Download Birdseye Imagery window with the title of the map tile already filled in but the Next button was greyed out.  I added the suffix V2 to the filename which ungreyed the Next button so I could complete the download. I completed by deleting the old tile file from Basecamp and replacing it with the V2 version.  I then transferred the map files, tracks and routes to the Etrex and it worked just fine.  O0

Trouble is that this means everytime I want to do a walk that involves V1 and V2 mapping I will have to rebuy mapping I that I have already paid for which seems a bit of a swizz.  >:(
« Last Edit: 16:32:18, 14/05/15 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:59:29, 14/05/15 »
Can you not do that for all your mapping and send combined v1 and v2  maps to your Etrex?

Incidentally I've never seen this problem raised elsewhere so not sure why you are getting the problem.

You could try posting here http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/garmin-handheld-gps-and-fitness-gps-forum

as there are experts there who might be able to help.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:58:35, 14/05/15 »
I could reload all my v1 maps as v2 but as I said, it would count against the sq km that I have pre purchased from garmin so in effect I am buying maps that I have already bought and I resent doing that.  My v1 maps work just fine as do my v2.  They just won't work together!

I have googled the problem but can't find a mention either.  I'll try the forum and see what they suggest - thanks.
Solvitur Ambulando

creekman

« Reply #10 on: 00:19:45, 31/07/15 »
I have the same problem on a Garmin Montana. Recently downloaded some more Birdseye Select and found it did not display next to adjacent tile. Eventually discovered it was V2 whereas earlier Birdseye were all V1. This aroused my suspicions and found other Garmin users had similar problems. Spent about an hour on the phone to Garmin without a satisfactory conclusion. I suggested they give me some free mapping so I could download all my old V1 stuff in V2 form but met with expected response. I see this as an inadequacy in Garmin's software and they should fix it. Has anybody else taken this up with Garmin or found a solution that does not involve spending money on unnecessary downloads? Any contributions gratefully received!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:33:37, 31/07/15 »
I tried publishing this on the site suggested by sussamb and got absolutely no response. I emailed garmin, their reply lost nothing in its translation from the original gibberish and was no help at at all. They have a problem but seem not to appreciate it.  >:(
Solvitur Ambulando

creekman

« Reply #12 on: 16:57:55, 31/07/15 »
Thanks for your response. I have similarly emailed Garmin today and told them I believe it is their responsibility to resolve this issue. From what you say I can expect a negative response. We shal see!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:01:11, 31/07/15 »
Good luck! I expect they monitor the Garmin forum and I got no reply on that. They are as the proverbial ashtray on a motorbike. Please share any comeback
Solvitur Ambulando

creekman

« Reply #14 on: 18:06:34, 19/08/15 »
As expected I am being given the runaround by Garmin but, so far, I am persevering and complying with their requests. The one thing I have squeezed out of them so far is some free Birdseye mapping, about 2000 sq km. I will endeavour to report on any further progress, if any!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy