Author Topic: [TR] 16th May Birkett bagging above Eskdale  (Read 2512 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] 16th May Birkett bagging above Eskdale
« Reply #15 on: 21:33:31, 20/05/15 »
Eric must have been the warden in the period after the Yardbirds and before he formed Cream..or have I got that wrong :-\

Yes, that's him but I'm not sure if it was before he was discovered playing dominoes with Derek or much later when he went off to run his Mothers petrifying wells & cave near Knaresborough.

;D Been on the happy baccy you two?
Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:47:58, 23/05/15 »
The Birkett list always makes me chuckle, I used to know Billy 'Brikkit' when he was a lad great climber but we all used to groan when he turned up at the crag with his dog. It was nice as pie when he was around, vicious brute when he was left it tied to his bag.

The guy has has done a lot of superb work for both walkers and climbers in the Lake District and Northern England.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:09:46, 23/05/15 »
As far as I'm aware Bill Birkett still lives in the Lakes. I wonder if he gets folk knocking at his door wanting to know why he included a fell or didn't include another ;)
Actually although I'm not officially " doing" the Birketts I am more than happy to accompany Sue who is ( and only has 25 to go O0 ).  
People do say that bagging the Wainwrights takes you to places you might never normally go, well this is even more-so for the Birketts.
We have climbed some wonderful hills that I had never heard of.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:23:34, 24/05/15 »
From what I remember of 'Billy' he could stand up for himself and would probably relish someone knocking on his door asking!!!!

The Birketts are actually an outdoor activist dynasty cos Bill's dad Jim Birkett was a top lakeland pioneer, did the first ever XS in the Lakes, and Bills nephew is Dave Birkett modern hot shot rock climber.

All three of em have made great contributions to the outdoors and are well documented on t'internet, loads of dave birkett stuff on Youtube.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy