Author Topic: can you recommend me an LDW?  (Read 2165 times)

johnnyloco

can you recommend me an LDW?
« on: 19:15:41, 22/05/15 »
Hi, I'm looking to do my first ever LDA.

I know there are lots of options in the UK and they all have their own attractions.

I'm looking for one which is about 150-200 miles no huge hills (over 700m) but not flat either, some forests and good access to nature maybe even close to some nature reserves. reasonable access to hostels (though will bring camp gear).

One I'm thinking of is Offa dykes path but it does not go through many villages so not sold on that yet.

Many thanks for any advice!

Of yea, I'm coming from Birmingham so proximity also a factor
« Last Edit: 07:51:29, 23/05/15 by johnnyloco »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: can you recommend me an LDA?
« Reply #1 on: 19:56:10, 22/05/15 »
I guess you could do the Ridgeway followed by the Wessex Ridgeway.  That seems to fit your brief and wanders through lots of villages.
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:46:48, 22/05/15 »
From what you say and where you live; Offa,s Dyke definitely. it actually goes through plenty of villages and towns.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:21:09, 22/05/15 »
I guess your interpretation isn't the same hence the original question, but I tend to agree with you and feel there are ample.
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:08:17, 23/05/15 »
You are doing the ODP this year aren't you Jon?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:09:28, 23/05/15 »
Yep, late October ...
Where there's a will ...

johnnyloco

« Reply #6 on: 07:28:38, 23/05/15 »

Ridgeway looks interesting and would be nice to finish at the sea. But perhaps that one is a little too flat.

Maybe I will just go with ODP if there are plenty of stop opportunities.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:00:46, 23/05/15 »
I guess you could do the Ridgeway followed by the Wessex Ridgeway.  That seems to fit your brief and wanders through lots of villages.
Wessex Ridgeway is 138 miles on it's own. It doesn't go through many villages and there are no hostels and only one campsite en route - it's gloriously rural for being close to 'nature' but mostly agricultural land. Certainly has hills and views though.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: can you recommend me an LDW?
« Reply #8 on: 09:02:24, 23/05/15 »
Having walked both maybe my interpretation of not many villages is different to yours.
Where there's a will ...

ron6632

Re: can you recommend me an LDW?
« Reply #9 on: 15:34:42, 23/05/15 »
try this link for some ideas.  You can put in min and max distance, press search and you'll get a list of all the trails in the UK.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/search_by_path.php

The ODP is a good suggestion - It can be camped almost every night, although the central section can be a bit awkward for tenting.  You could always treat yourself to a B&B or two!  There's only the one hostel at Knighton (or Kington - I always get confused between the two places).  There is also a fairly new bunkhouse attached to the pub in Bodfari? at the end of the penultimate stage if walking North.

Although you will never have villages as lunch stops, it does split nicely into stages with each one ending at some sort of settlement.

It is also one of the best walks you'll ever do :)

Failing that, you could walk one end of the Pennine Way or do the Coast to Coast.

As a left field suggestion, what about the North Downs Way?  There's two hostels on it at Tanners Hatch and Canterbury, but apart from that not much else.  It is quiet enough that if you pitched sensibly and carefully you could probably just about get away with wild camping - it is a surprisingly quiet trail.  It does tick most of your other boxes though, and comes in at around 130 miles.  Not high but it has its share of ups and downs - box hill is a fun climb :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy