Author Topic: (TR) More birds than you can shake a stick at  (Read 2642 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
(TR) More birds than you can shake a stick at
« on: 10:40:19, 24/05/15 »

As I say always say variety is the the spice of life and too much of any one thing makes MWM a dull boy. 

So after a braceing walk along the Northumberland coast and a comfortable night spent in a 3*** hotel. We decided to take advantage of the fact that 'H' is recovering from her broken leg and she would need an easier day to recover so it would be a great opportunity to do a slightly different walk.

Next morning we were up bright and breezy for the Farne island boat trip to go and see the birds nesting,

Did I mention that we also got a superb breakfast chucked in for nowt at the 3*** hotel that charged less for a double room than the local YHA wanted for a room shared with 6 other people.

After breakfast I waddled and H limped out of the hotel and down to the port like a couple of toby jugs, wishing we had brought the belly wheels along and hoping we would be able to keep our breakfast down in the choppy seas.

Well If anyone on here is interested in sea birds and has not been over to the Farnes I can thoroughly recomend  it as an amazing experience. We were able to get up close to (s)hags, kittywakes, Razorbills, Guillimots, Puffins. When I say get up close I mean the lense was less than a foot from the bird (any closer and it will not focus).

We chose the trip that lands on Inner Farne and gives you an hours walk around the island the only down side of the trip is that the island is run by the National Trust but thats another story.

Hope you enjoy the piccies.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) More birds than you can shake a stick at
« Reply #1 on: 11:54:37, 24/05/15 »
 : :) :) :) :) :) :) :)) Love birds.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:55:28, 24/05/15 »
Beautiful photos MWM.  I especially like the close-up of the (s)hag, showing the contrast between the yellow bill and green eye.  You are lucky to see puffins.  In all my years of bird watching I have never seen one.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:04:44, 24/05/15 »
I understand, from htose who were on the Devon Birds trip, that there are an increased number of puffins on Lundy this year - still time to catch the Oldenburg across :)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:45:15, 24/05/15 »
I just signed up for a week on Lundy climbing in August the week after the bird ban finishes, the best place I've been to for puffins is Skomar they were walking round your feet.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:43:04, 24/05/15 »
I understand, from htose who were on the Devon Birds trip, that there are an increased number of puffins on Lundy this year - still time to catch the Oldenburg across :)
Unfortunately there's no way I could get my wife on a boat.  She gets seasick on the Torpoint Ferry! ;D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:21:29, 24/05/15 »
Great pics O0   I visited the Farnes (again) last year and actually enjoyed the boat trip over there more than being on the islands themselves!  Having the Puffins flying alongside of the boat with fish for their young - amazing! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:06:22, 24/05/15 »
Unfortunately there's no way I could get my wife on a boat.  She gets seasick on the Torpoint Ferry! ;D
I suggest you book a spa pampering day for her (or what ever floats her boat  ;D )and then grab your binoculars *ugger off to Lundy for the day. 8)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:14:41, 24/05/15 »
I suggest you book a spa pampering day for her (or what ever floats her boat  ;D )and then grab your binoculars *ugger off to Lundy for the day. 8)
I might just do that! ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:41:42, 26/05/15 »
Great shots again mwm  O0 Love the puffins  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:27:20, 27/05/15 »
wow fantastic pics mate ...  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:08:29, 27/05/15 »
Great pictures  O0 love the seal shot  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Steve922

« Reply #12 on: 00:16:14, 28/05/15 »
Awesome pics, buddy! Is it just me or are puffins the cutest things ever?

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:42:54, 01/06/15 »
Thanks guys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy