Author Topic: (TR) Return to Bempton Cliffs  (Read 4123 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
(TR) Return to Bempton Cliffs
« on: 11:17:16, 24/05/15 »

We were so impressed with the birds at Bempton cliffs last April we decided to do a repeat.

Totally different circumstance's this year 'H' with her broken leg and different weather conditions with thick localised mist me round the Bempton area.

The plan was that I could walk the coastal path from Filey to Bridlington whilst 'H' joined me for the good bits and drove the car in between.

After a pre dawn start we set of for a joint walk onto Filey Brigg and H leaves me and drives round to the RSPB centre at Bempton, the key here is to arrive before they open at 09.30 and you don't have to pay for parking.
Anyhow by the time I arrived along the footpath in thick mist I found her chatting up a photographer he turned out to be the guy who owned and farmed all the land that the RSPB centre is on.
He was my kind of fella calls a spade a spade and a fountain of knowledge on photography wildlife and the Bempton cliffs, once he had sussed us out he opened up we had a great chat and I learned a lot showing us the safe places you could get close to the birds without the big 600mm lenses. Got some great shots of the Gannets with a misty backdrop then while we talked to Mike the mist suddenly lifted in seconds and we burst into another frenzy of activity.

'H' joined me again at Flamborough and Brid where we watched the pirate ship on its mini cruise round the bay, the mist sort of hung around all day giving some amazing atmospherics on the beach at Brid. When we got to the harbour there was a sign saying pirate ship cruise £1.00 all riders, So 'H' says if thats the price I'm on it and I gets jack booted along the plank onto the boat. You only get 14 minutes but what do you expect for a quid.

Now the final task of the day was to find a community art gallery run by a guy described as a showman and artist called Fred Corrigan. We had met Fred exhibiting the work in York last summer we were well impressed by his work and he is an amazing character and he told us what the artists of Brid had set up and we promised we would call in next time we were in town.
Did not have a clue where the gallery was so we called in at the Library and asked they did not have a clue either but they gave us two maybe's.
Cut a long story short we found it and our man was sitting inside entertaining his public great to see him again.

Call all in at the harbour for a waffle and Ice cream, Brid is dirto cheapo everything seems to be on sale for a quid. Anyhow with all tasks completed we headed home 'H' with her swollen foot up on the dashboard.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) Return to Bempton Cliffs
« Reply #1 on: 11:52:29, 24/05/15 »
OOOhhh those gannet shots are just superb - so envious. It's 13yrs since making a trip up there from Devon.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:49:34, 24/05/15 »
Fantastic shots of the gannets.  I was watching a pair of them flying low over the sea near Noss Mayo in Devon last week, but sadly too far away for a photo.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:22:04, 24/05/15 »
Lovely photos  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:56:55, 25/05/15 »
Fabulous place midweekmountain, we went there two years ago and saw a puffin for the first time! Great photos and thanks for sharing.  O0

Regards Keith

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:02:48, 25/05/15 »
Fan-dabby-dozy! You must have a pretty good camera even so to get such good close and clear shots.

Have you ever been to the Isle of May off the Fife coast - brilliant array of birds. There is an Arctic term welcoming party for which you need a hat! But plenty of places to wander and a variety of birds - eider and puffins being my favourites but plenty on the cliffs too eg guillemots and razorbills. We did not have enough time to see the whole island but I'd really recommend it. We went from Anstruther and finished off the day with fish  and chips form the award winning place there. Mmmm!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:39:28, 26/05/15 »
Great shots mwm  O0
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:25:25, 27/05/15 »
Fab pics MWM.  I love misty coastal pics.... very atmospheric.... spooky almost.

I'm off sailing round Bempton Cliffs in a few weeks' time for a bird watching sesh  O0

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:09:32, 16/06/15 »
Thamks for the comments guys

OOOhhh those gannet shots are just superb - so envious. It's 13yrs since making a trip up there from Devon.

Talking of its a long way from Devon to Yorkshire I am well overdue a visit to Devon/Cornwall so am going to Lundy in August.
Fantastic shots of the gannets.  I was watching a pair of them flying low over the sea near Noss Mayo in Devon last week, but sadly too far away for a photo.

There is a voluntry climbing ban on important bird nesting areas BUT the very best way to get close up shots of the birds is to go climbing on sea cliffs, the non banned areas of course still a  lot of birds about and you can get really close up.
Don't get too close to Fulmars tho cos they puke on you

Fan-dabby-dozy! You must have a pretty good camera even so to get such good close and clear shots.
Have you ever been to the Isle of May off the Fife coast

I use an entry level Nikon with a decent lense, we were lucky to be with the landowner who showed us the good places to get close to the birds.
Never been to the Isle of May, have been to Skomar but my fave place for birds is Gogarth on Anglesey where the bird spotting is a secondary bonus to the climbing think most competant climbers that I have met are also very interested in the conservation of wildlfe.

Fabulous place midweekmountain, we went there two years ago and saw a puffin for the first time! Great photos and thanks for sharing.

Have been back since and got a shot of four puffin chicks paddling around on a ledge magic stuff

Fab pics MWM.  I love misty coastal pics.... very atmospheric.... spooky almost.

I'm off sailing round Bempton Cliffs in a few weeks' time for a bird watching sesh  O0

Best of luck with boat trip, don't spend too much o yer breakfast if theres a bit of a blow ;D

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:42:38, 16/06/15 »
Ellie Harrison will be at Bempton Cliffs on Countryfile next Sunday.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:38:05, 16/06/15 »
Missed this one Stuart, great pictures of the birds mate  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:57:21, 17/06/15 »
great pics MWM ...  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy