Author Topic: Wild camping - the essentials  (Read 10190 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild camping - the essentials
« Reply #15 on: 18:46:41, 27/05/15 »
Oh Slogger, you've gone all earnest on me!!  ;)

I bow to your definition of wild camping. I suppose what I meant was not in a campsite - as i'm not sure i'd ever get o/h in one yet... But i thought that if i could make being out in the wilds as comfy as poss (yes i know it won't be home comforts) then I might persuade him to take the plunge. We've only been together 28 years - didn't want to rush him... ;D

I'm not sure we'd multi night camp initially but you are right, thinking about what-must-be-done, would have to be done!

I'm really grateful for your thoughts and if you want to let me in on your gear recommendations, that'd be appreciated too.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:48:33, 27/05/15 »
It will be interesting to see what you make of it Sarah. I have that funny tingling sensation when reading about it although all my such camping was done years ago, so I'd be in your position.
I have asked a few questions which the chaps/chapess'es on here have obliged with their recommendations and by stealth I am gradually adding to my older gear.
Unfortunately I will be solo as Mrs I can only be enticed into a tent if she is able to stand up in it !   I still have a large dome tent that we used when our boys were younger (can't bear to part with anything) and I have a small 2 man - MountainCraft tent that I bought when a friend upgraded to a Terra Nova. It may be purple and a bit loud but I do like kipping out in it.
Very much liked Karl's Border End overnighter ........ now where is my Primus ?
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:25:56, 27/05/15 »
Oh Slogger, you've gone all earnest on me!!

Ha, ha, nice one. I think I get you. I mean the thought of relaxing by your tent, enjoying a good drink in an idyllic mountain environment, as the sun goes down, is extremely appealing and something I have experienced many times. It is something many walkers do, and is rather different to my multi day overnight wild camps, pitched in dark and unpitched a few hours later again in the dark.
My kit list probably wouldn't suite you as it is fairly minimalist, comprising:-
Terra Nova Laser Photon Elite Solo Tent.
Mountain Technology Phantom 400 down bag.
Neo Air Xlite sleep mat.
Titanium cook pot.
Primus micro stove.
Spork.
Petzl Myo XP headtorch.
Smallest Gas cannister.
34 litre rucksack, Osprey Exos.
There you go, total cost....around 800pnds.
If you really want to try it, much of the main items can be hired.

quixoticgeek

« Reply #18 on: 23:47:21, 27/05/15 »
I spent yesterday evening googling wildly and identifying all the kit I'd buy or at least go and look at. Really interesting looking at other peoples' video reviews and comparisons. Have realised I need to do some saving or ensure hubby was reasonably committed before shelling out. Or poss see what I can beg/steal/borrow from family etc.

Know that one. I have an ever growing list, just waiting for payday...

I'm quite keen on the  alpkit brukit stove. I can see that we could use this on day walks to either have a brew en route or perhaps a decent hot one when back at the car.

I had a look at tents too. Vango Tempest looked quite good - def tempted by the 300 - I know it's 3 man but maybe the extra width might be pleasant. No idea how the carous tents compare with each other eg tempest, banshee etc. I also saw some OEX - a new brand to me. They looked like they had some good features but I've no idea how reliable they are.

Quite enjoying this mini project, I have to say!!

Just remember. Everything you take, you have to carry. I know it's easy to mock the Ultra light crowd, and their pursuit of lighter, lighter, lighter. Cuben fibre and drill out toothbrush handles... But you can put it in simple maths.

To carry 1kg a distance of 1km, is 10 calories. Not much. Carry that 1kg 10km, that's 100 calories. Not much. But that is on top of the 100 calories per km you're burning just to walk. Do 20km in a day, and carrying just 1kg of weight you will need to eat the equivalent in calories to a mars bar. What this is a long winded way of saying is think carefully about every gram. You might not notice it when you leave the car, but you will notice it 10km into the hills.

These numbers are all ball park figures, and with everything your mileage will vary. But it's something to think about.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:00:28, 28/05/15 »
To carry 1kg a distance of 1km, is 10 calories. Not much. Carry that 1kg 10km, that's 100 calories. Not much. But that is on top of the 100 calories per km you're burning just to walk. Do 20km in a day, and carrying just 1kg of weight you will need to eat the equivalent in calories to a mars bar. What this is a long winded way of saying is think carefully about every gram. You might not notice it when you leave the car, but you will notice it 10km into the hills.

These numbers are all ball park figures, and with everything your mileage will vary. But it's something to think about.

http://www.larsonweb.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/biginex.jpg

;D ;D ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:36:36, 28/05/15 »
So going off the calculations above. Doing a multi day ultra of an average 40+ miles a day carrying 8Kg I need to eat 28 Mars bars a day, yummy! Only I have a feeling that would put me off the things forever.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:43:30, 29/05/15 »
Camping-The essentials- No Midges, No Rain - remember tents always looks better in photos and thro rose tinted spectacles.

Wild Camping/Bivying/bothying only to be undertaken to achieve objectives when all other avenues have been discounted and then only in good weather.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:50:12, 29/05/15 »
Camping-The essentials- No Midges, No Rain

;D  My essentials are wine and chocolate  ;)
Hate will never win

swanseamale47

« Reply #23 on: 11:50:20, 29/05/15 »

;D  My essentials are wine and chocolate  ;)
And a sunset.    O0

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:51:21, 30/05/15 »
Camping near to the car can be good for overnight stops or setting up a basecamp for day walks. We have done this many times especially in Scotland when Munro baggin.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #25 on: 16:57:32, 07/06/15 »
Sleeping bag, I am currently a big fan of the Mountain Hardware Lamina/Laminina range of bags. I have the Laminina 20 (-7°C t-comfort) for winter use, and the Lamina 35 (5°C t-comfort) for summer use. They aren't the most compact or lightest bags out there, but considering that the later was 85 quid in blacks, the cost/weight/warmth is hard to beat.

I'm interested in camping but totally new to it, and the Lamina 35 is one of the pieces of gear I'm considering. Is it good for spring and autumn camping, or would you switch to the 20 outside of summer proper?
Make the most of the available light

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #26 on: 20:14:07, 11/06/15 »

Innominate - Is that a day sack?

Gad
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:41:59, 11/06/15 »
 ;D
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:57:59, 11/06/15 »

Not quite - it's my personal 'snack' carrier - but yours takes the biscuit   ;D ;D O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

swanseamale47

« Reply #29 on: 10:48:18, 12/06/15 »

Gad

Blimey and I thought my bergen was big, now with one of these I can just about get all my kit in.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy