Author Topic: TR Rannerdale Knotts and High Rannerdale Mon 25 May 15  (Read 1731 times)

April

• Veteran Member
On Bank Holiday Monday we wanted to do Fleetwith Pike from Gatesgarth but we could see as soon as we left Carlisle the forecast of lowish cloud was right so we thought about changing this, we didn’t fancy walking in clag.

On the journey on the 73 from Carlisle to Keswick it was a lovely peaceful journey, John driving, the smoothest driver Stagecoach employs  O0  and only us two on the bus. This bus changes to the 77 Honister Rambler at Keswick and it was all change from peace and quiet to having to listen to a group of walkers who were shouting at each other across the bus. We had to shout to be heard if we wanted to talk to each other and we got a fit of the giggles, talking that loud just doesn’t seem right to us.

Instead of getting off the bus at Gatesgarth we got off at Rannerdale instead. Relieved to get away from the noise we thought Rannerdale Knotts would be a nice fell to do. We could see the top of it unlike Fleetwith Pike which had clag covering the top half.

Crummock Water and Low Fell from the way up Rannerdale Knotts

On the way up Rannerdale Knotts

There were quite a few other people doing the fell too and we felt like we were in a big walking group. With light packs on though we made short work of the ascent and we got well ahead of the other people and we thought we might get the fell to ourselves for a while. No chance  ;D  There were summit slugs on the top.

Beefy on the summit. Cropped to remove summit slugs.

The view from not quite the summit of Rannerdale Knotts

We didn’t stay very long on the top and we descended along the Low Bank ridge path to the col below Whiteless Pike.

Looking back at Rannerdale Knotts

At the col we headed toward Squat Beck

There were lots of people about and more coming up towards us. It was Bank Holiday Monday and we had come to a popular area especially at this time of year with the bluebells so it was to be expected I suppose. I spotted a trod that led off right, away from the normal path along Squat Beck toward some trees that skirted the foot of Whiteless Pike. I wondered if we could walk on the other side of Rannerdale to get away from the hordes of people. Beefy didn’t need asking twice and we took the trod to the trees. It turned out to be a great decision what a wonderful walk it was.

This is the lovely ravine of Rowantree Beck. The path led us down and over it.

We were heading toward these trees and the narrow path lead us around the fence on the right above the trees

We could see dozens of people on the other side or Rannerdale, we had this bit all to ourselves.

Bluebells

We continued on the path that followed the wall for a while before stopping for some lunch.

More bluebells

There was a bit of a wow moment when we saw this waterfall. I’d seen one marked on the map on Rannerdale Beck but I can’t remember ever seeing photos of it so I had no idea it would be this nice.

Waterfall on Rannerdale Beck

I’ve been through Rannerdale dozens of times but I’ve never ventured on this side before. I’m pleased I have now.

Looking back at Rannerdale

Mellbreak and Crummock Water

Rannerdale Knotts

Whiteless Pike

The narrow trod we started from near Rowantree Beck carried on all the way above the wall to rejoin the usual path to Rannerdale Bridge and Cinderdale Common.

The path from Cinderdale Common to Lanthwaite Green is an interesting route below Grasmoor and the crags along its base

Mist on Grasmoor End

We caught the Honister bus from Lanthwaite Green and it was a more peaceful journey on the way back.

With only just over 3 hours between the buses we had to catch to and from Rannerdale and Lanthwaite our walk was a short one. Rannerdale – Rannerdale Knotts – Low Bank – Whiteless Pike col – Rowantree Beck – Rannerdale Beck – Cinderdale Common – Lanthwaite. 7km with 438m ascent. We both enjoyed the peace of the other side of Rannerdale and what a lovely walk it was too. Thanks Beefy too, a good laugh as always, hope you enjoyed the chocolate frenzy at lunch  ;D  
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Rannerdale Knotts and High Rannerdale Mon 25 May 15
« Reply #1 on: 13:36:55, 28/05/15 »
Lovely shots, particularly the blue bells and finding your own private path  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:11:17, 28/05/15 »

Great TR and pics Ape' ...  O0
was a lovely walk and the waterfall was splendid ...  8)
they aint bluebells cos they are purple and they dont ring ...  :D
We both enjoyed the peace of the other side of Rannerdale and what a lovely walk it was too. Thanks Beefy too, a good laugh as always, hope you enjoyed the chocolate frenzy at lunch  ;D

oh i did ive even got pictures ...  :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:25:58, 28/05/15 »
What a lovely TR - all goes to show that small, short and low walks don't necessarily mean low interest and no wow moments.

Monday did start off cloudy, but it brightened in the later pm and we managed some sun at Glenridding Dodd.

Rannerdale's bluebells have been on my hitlist for a while - almost got there on Tuesday. When I do get there I might seek out your special route.  :)

BazandDeb

« Reply #4 on: 16:56:41, 28/05/15 »
Many thanks for this excellent report, it sounds like the perfect walk for the missus, I hope the bluebells will look nice for the weekend after next.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:10, 28/05/15 »
Am gutted, Rannerdale Knotts was on "my list" to do on Friday on the way back from Whinlatter but the weather was lousy so I thought I might do it on the Monday after the Coledale Horseshoe, the day you did it but when I awoke at Honister, the cloud was low and I decided to head home.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:57:32, 28/05/15 »
Very enjoyable read April and lovely pictures of the area, I can't wait to complete my round so I can go off the track a bit and explore different routes and paths like this.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:20:29, 28/05/15 »
Lovely shots, particularly the blue bells and finding your own private path  O0

Thanks Ridge  O0 The path from the waterfall to the Cinderdale Common was well trodden so I don't think it is that much of a secret really  :)

they aint bluebells cos they are purple and they dont ring

;D

What a lovely TR - all goes to show that small, short and low walks don't necessarily mean low interest and no wow moments.
When I do get there I might seek out your special route.  :)

Thanks Sarah  O0 It really is a pretty walk, it just needs to be longer  :)

it sounds like the perfect walk for the missus, I hope the bluebells will look nice for the weekend after next.

Thanks BazandDeb, I hope so too they are nice to look at  :)

Am gutted,  when I awoke at Honister, the cloud was low and I decided to head home.

:( The cloud lifted a bit later in the day too . Sorry to rub it in.

I can't wait to complete my round so I can go off the track a bit and explore different routes and paths like this.

Thanks Rhino  :) There are a lot of them and I'm still discovering ones I don't know about like this one. We will go back to Rannerdale Beck, there seems to be another waterfall higher up. When I checked viewranger the waterfall marked on the map was about 1/3 km further up the beck. Unless the map is wrong  ;)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:45:38, 28/05/15 »
That looked a lovely micro adventure April O0
All this finding new paths malarky..are you sure you just weren't lost ;D

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:02:09, 29/05/15 »
First time I did Rannerdale Knotts it was part of the Whiteside ,Ladyside Pike, Hopegill Head, Sand Hill, Grassmoor, Crag hill , Wandope, Whiteless Pike, Ranerdale Knotts.

Still think its one of the best rounds in the Lakes and the highlight being the suprise view from Crag (otherwise boring) Hill and Rannerdale Knotts was a brill finale to the walk.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:48:22, 29/05/15 »
All this finding new paths malarky..are you sure you just weren't lost ;D

;D  We just saw a path leading away from all the people, we took it but we didn't really know where it would lead us  :D

@ MWM Yes that is another brilliant round in the Lakes (in nice weather  ;) )
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:35:08, 29/05/15 »
Why did beefy have a paintbrush in his hand in that photo? :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:16:21, 29/05/15 »

Thanks Rhino  :) There are a lot of them and I'm still discovering ones I don't know about like this one. We will go back to Rannerdale Beck, there seems to be another waterfall higher up. When I checked viewranger the waterfall marked on the map was about 1/3 km further up the beck. Unless the map is wrong  ;)

I keep seeing paths all the time and my eye keeps getting drawn to ridge routes like the one you suggested I take up to Hindscarth, I always make a note in my books so I have something to remind me, the idea of plotting your own route away from the norm appeals to me or is that called getting lost  ;D

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy