Author Topic: TR Calderdale Way Heptonstall to Bradshaw Sat 28th June 2015  (Read 4201 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
TR Calderdale Way Heptonstall to Bradshaw Sat 28th June 2015-06-28
The Calderdale way is a 50 mile walk around the boundary of Calderdale which passes through where i live. Ive walked on the sections near to me many times on my local walks and back in January 2014 we decided me and the wife and 2 friends would walk the route in 5 sections of around 10 miles each. We walked the first 2 sections in January and February 2014 and have been waiting for our friends to start the 3rd section but for one reason or another as a group we have all been busy. Me and Mrs R decided we would continue on our own and complete the last 3 sections before winter so the next section was from a village called Heptonstall just outside of Hebden bridge to the viallge of Bradshaw where i live.
We caught public transport from home of 3 bus journeys to Heptonstall where we ended the last section and picked back up the path where we left it. It was a beautiful day with sunshine forecast for most of it and no rain. We had Jack with us and i was looking forward to the walk having missed him and Mrs R the weekend before and i also had a new toy.
 Ive been wanting a bridge camera for a while and in the week i called in to see the brother in law to give him his birthday card and it turns out he is selling one of his cameras a Fuji SL240 which i now have on trial. Its a lot bigger than my little Nikon Coolpix but has a lot more functions and the potential for a novice like me to take better pictures so the walk was ideal to get some good scenic pictures.
Looking back towards a small part of Hebden Bridge from the start of the walk at Heptonstall

It wasn’t long before we were in woodland

A magnificent monkey tree

So inviting

Does Frodo Baggins live here

Jack

Mrs R

Looking back towards Heptonstall and the wood we had walked through

A bird of prey

A couple of schnauzers who came to great us

Open moorland ahead

Stoodley Pike

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance

The Calder Valley

Jack feeling the heat

More of the Calder Valley

Home is the other side of that hill in front

Back in to Woodland and the shade

Our lunch spot

Jack was happy we had reached a stream, we were almost out of water for him, he doesn’t do water but had a bit of a paddle today with the heat.

A panorama of the hillside we had just come across

A friendly horse

Home is on the other side

A not so friendly German Sheppard

Checking out the timer function

Home on the hillside in front of us

Route info 10.7 Miles, 2015ft of ascent over 4 hours 56 minutes and 2/3 of the Calderdale way completed. A nice walk with Mrs R and Jack and some very good results from the camera, i especially like the panorama facility because its so easy to use and i would imagine i would give that a lot of stick in the lakes to get a bigger shot of the mountains.  There are so many functions on the camera for me to be playing with but auto mode and panorama seem to work best for me. Ive just got to haggle with the brother in law now.

Link to all the pics https://flic.kr/s/aHskevYjdf
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
Nice pics and report Rhino  O0 The 3 bus journeys sounds a bit like our trips to the Lakes  ;D
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Always nice to see pics of the very handsome Jack ( and you and Mrs R as well ;D )

I used to live in Bradshaw,  ( Bradshaw near Bolton that is  ;) )

pleb

• Veteran Member
That's interesting! I was walking that day, did Mytholmroyd to Hebden Bridge via canal, cragg vale, and Stoodley Pike. Wound up at the stubbing wharfe pub before train home.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Nice area Hebden Bridge/heptonstall area very underrated.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Nice pics and report Rhino  O0 The 3 bus journeys sounds a bit like our trips to the Lakes  ;D

Thanks April, I like the camera and think it will give some good results on the mountains and fells and I just hope I can get it a good price  :) It was an hours travelling in total to get to the start so not too bad  O0 The last bus though up to Heptonstall from Hebden we had to wait 20 minutes for a 5 minute journey and I was chomping at the bit saying come on lets walk up, its about 800 or 900 feet up from Hebden and was spot of good hill training but Mrs R was having none of it  ;D

Always nice to see pics of the very handsome Jack ( and you and Mrs R as well ;D )

I used to live in Bradshaw,  ( Bradshaw near Bolton that is  ;) )

Cheers Karl   O0 Ive missed the little fellow the last few weeks on my walks and so have a bit of catching up to do with him but I have a nice weekend in the lakes planned for him this coming weekend so hopefully ill get a few more pictures of him as well as some good views  ???
For a minute I thought no never you cant have lived in the same place  ;D

That's interesting! I was walking that day, did Mytholmroyd to Hebden Bridge via canal, cragg vale, and Stoodley Pike. Wound up at the stubbing wharfe pub before train home.

Hi Pleb, me and Mrs R walk that section of the canal mostly in the winter months from Luddendenfoot to the Stubbing Wharfe then have a bit of dinner while I cram as many pints as I can in about an hour  ;D some times Mrs R manages to get me to walk past the pub and as far as Todmorden before heading back for the dinner at the pub, its a lovely walk. I think I know the section from Cragg Vale to Stoodley Pike and walked that bit of the Calderdale Way on our first section from Rippenden Bank. You must live locally then yourself?

Nice area Hebden Bridge/heptonstall area very underrated.

Hi Stuart, its very scenic and quaint as well as a bit odd  ;D ive had some cracking walks round there over the years as it is literally over the hill from home. You can walk across the moors to Howarth and Oxenhope and always end up at a pub its great  :)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
I like Heptonstall - it is a bit of a climb though. I've also ended up at Stoodley Pike somehow - but can't recall having done any sections of The Calderdale Way. Some good photos to look at; I'm also having fun playing with the settings on my new [secondhand] camera.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Hi lee, I haven't bid him yet I am making him think I am not that bothered but iam liking it. The Pennine way goes through the area and there are lots of off shoot paths everywhere, you could walk for miles and never find a pub or anything else ;D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
For a minute I thought no never you cant have lived in the same place  ;D

About 2 miles is close enough to almost be neighbours: I was born in Illingworth but the street has long since been gobbled up. I have happy memories of the area - it's where my Grandfather first took me out walking and Bradshaw was on some of his routes.

O0 

PS - I meant to say great TR & photos. Also think it would be interesting to know how many people could actually pronounce these village names correctly (e.g. silent T in Heptonstall !!)

« Last Edit: 11:50:29, 03/07/15 by Innominate Man »
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Rhino

• Veteran Member

About 2 miles is close enough to almost be neighbours: I was born in Illingworth but the street has long since been gobbled up. I have happy memories of the area - it's where my Grandfather first took me out walking and Bradshaw was on some of his routes.

O0 

PS - I meant to say great TR & photos. Also think it would be interesting to know how many people could actually pronounce these village names correctly (e.g. silent T in Heptonstall !!)

Thanks IM  O0
It really is a small world IM, I was born in Mixenden but don't tell anyone  ;D the area is my local patch and provides lots of moorland walks in and around which provide me with my fix when I am away from the lakes  :) I always laugh when people pronounce Todmorden as Tod Morden  ;D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Thanks IM  O0
It really is a small world IM, I was born in Mixenden but don't tell anyone  ;D the area is my local patch and provides lots of moorland walks
I know it reasonably well. My Grandfather worked at Jumples Mill (not sure if you know that) - and lived in one of the cottages on Rake Bank (the block is still there). Once he retired they moved up to Lee Mount.
Where I was born were compulsory purchased by the Council to make way for new housing (progress !) so my parents moved up Pellon Lane (I was only a few years old).
I do like to go back and drive around the places - they remind me so much of my early years of which I have lots of happy memories:- but that is a whole separate subject  :-X
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Rhino

• Veteran Member
I know it reasonably well. My Grandfather worked at Jumples Mill (not sure if you know that) - and lived in one of the cottages on Rake Bank (the block is still there). Once he retired they moved up to Lee Mount.
Where I was born were compulsory purchased by the Council to make way for new housing (progress !) so my parents moved up Pellon Lane (I was only a few years old).
I do like to go back and drive around the places - they remind me so much of my early years of which I have lots of happy memories:- but that is a whole separate subject  :-X

Was it at the bottom of Mixenden or in the middle near the Jumples pub, my first drinking establishment was the Jumples pub, a cracking pub in its day. The police closed it in the late 90s because the locals tied up the landlord for 3 days and drank the pub dry before letting him go  ;D straight out of shameless  ;D
The place is not what it used to be back in the 70's when I was growing up, it was all about the community and everyone doing things together, kids playing on the street and in the parks but in the 80's and 90's it went downhill so to speak. I lived in Mixenden Village the posh part of course in between 2 pubs the Crown and Anchor and the Hare and Hounds, bought the house because it was within staggering distance  ;D Neither pub is open now after being converted in to houses and flats over the last 10 years. I moved to Bradshaw 8 years ago close to 3 pubs  :)

When you next fancy a trip down memory lane make sure you keep above 30mph otherwise you will have your wheels pinched  ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
great TR and pics Rhino ...  O0
ive been to stoodley pike a couple of times ...  8)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
great TR and pics Rhino ...  O0
ive been to stoodley pike a couple of times ...  8)

Cheers Beefy, its not too far from your old stomping ground either  :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Suppose the 'Cat I'th Well' was just off your route (too far for a detour)  ?
Talk about secret escapes   O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy