Author Topic: Buying a selfi stick?  (Read 2460 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Buying a selfi stick?
« on: 11:26:36, 29/06/15 »
I know that they are often ridiculed but I am wondering if I should buy one? I rarely take photos but my son has asked if I can keep a photographic record of my attempt to hike the GR10 from late July. Any recommendations please, or confirm to me that it is a rubbish idea.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Buying a selfi stick?
« Reply #1 on: 12:56:26, 29/06/15 »
I take selfies on my walks by balancing my compact camera on handy fenceposts or rocks, then hastily moving away and trying to strike a natural pose before the 10 seconds timer takes the picture.
It occasionally results in leery grins at the camera, or I am leaning forwards with a quizzical "Has it taken it yet or hasn't it?" look on my face, while horizons are often crooked. My wife remarked of one with a lake in the background that it was a wonder the water didn't all pour out of it, it was sloping so much.

Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: 14:03:37, 29/06/15 »
I take selfies on my walks by balancing my compact camera on handy fenceposts or rocks, then hastily moving away and trying to strike a natural pose before the 10 seconds timer takes the picture.

I do the same, been doing it that way for years, certainly before the selfie stick was invented. My Agfa compact gives me two takes, both at 10 second intervals, effectively doubling the time (20 secs)  I need to get into the frame. I usually take a `trial` shot first, to check  things like exposure, composition  etc. Can`t see any point in carrying a thing like a selfie stick on a walk; it`s just one more `thing` to lug around, and it`s only going to get in the way! I carry a walking stick but that, for me, is an essential piece of equipment.

uktyler

« Reply #3 on: 17:57:31, 29/06/15 »
Not sure this would work as a selfie stick, but I've been thinking of getting one to take normal pics:

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-monopod-duo-trek-multi-purpose-anti-shock-walking-pole-with-accessories-DS-044

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:36:54, 29/06/15 »
If you use walking poles, buy a stickpic!

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/walking-poles/YA105-8.html

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:28:42, 29/06/15 »
I usually ask someone to take one for me
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #6 on: 17:27:13, 30/06/15 »
You can shoot selfies handheld without using a selfie stick, even if your camera or phone (like mine) doesn't allow you to see the image on the screen while composing the shot. It takes a bit of trial and error but you soon get the hang of it. With a bit of practice you can even judge the angle so your extended arm stays mostly out of the image, as in this shot (which isn't cropped):

Make the most of the available light

Vagabond

« Reply #7 on: 17:38:29, 30/06/15 »
Yes, as per my avatar, that`s a `selfie` isn`t rocket science!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:19:31, 30/06/15 »
I like the idea as offered by Roughyed. Seems sensible to make use of a walking stick. I havn't decided yet to buy a selfie stick or not, mind you I'm not a photo taker and I keep thinking of all that extra weight.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:38:51, 01/07/15 »
My ever watchful wife asked me one question. If I attach my camera to the end of one of my poles and want to take a selfie how do I know that the camera is facing me when obviously the view screen is at the back of the camera? I did not know so just muttered I would have to guess I suppose. Am I right? If I confirm this she is going to say something along the lines of "why would anyone want to buy such a stupid product"?

Kukkudrill

« Reply #10 on: 17:33:49, 01/07/15 »
You're right  :)  But the point of the selfie stick (I gather, never having used one) is to put more distance between the camera and yourself so there's less of a need to get the camera angle just right. As long as the lens is on a wide angle setting and it's pointing more or less in your direction, you should be OK.
Make the most of the available light

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:09:19, 03/07/15 »
My expectation is that the longer reach of the stick allows more of the background to be in view, rather than the minimal view offered by arms length photos - i.e. a mug-shot.
I don't have a selfie stick, nor a walking pole and me & Mrs I take the odd arms length shot but to be honest we haven't got the knack and always have a stupid look on our faces. I think it's a generation thing as our sons show us fabulous photos of them looking very 'cool'. Perhaps as they have grown up in the age where self image and photos are so common it's easier for them to be natural on camera:-
Whereas I have that obvious self-conscious look about me that says ' Leave me alone, I don't want my photo taken'. We are gradually getting better though   ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:14:26, 03/07/15 »
Thanks uktyler. I have just bought myself a Stickpic from 'backpacklight'. It weighs next to nothing, fits easily on my hiking stick(s) and I tried it out yesterday and looks like it could last forever. Easy to lose though! I had no problems, just set my camera to 10 sec, held the stick and camera in the direction I wanted, click and I took my photo. This little gadget is a little pricy though, I thought £15 was a bit much! I suppose if its used a lot it could over time be of good value? To put it in perspective, my wife commented that anything over 50p gets me moaning.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:45:59, 03/07/15 »
Sorry, I thanked the wrong person. I should have wrote thanks to Roughyed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy