Author Topic: What size rucksack for long distance walks?  (Read 14415 times)

route2rock

• Veteran Member
Re: What size rucksack for long distance walks?
« Reply #15 on: 23:02:24, 05/07/15 »
Thanks for the additional contributions.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Berghaus Wilderness 65L. It opens from the front as well as the top, which might come in handy, and it has big side pockets which should help keep things organised.

I would say 65lt is a good buy, given that most of my gear was bulky when I started, 65 suited me.

That said I can now just fit a single overnight wildcamp in my 33 lt osprey talon, but that is a bivi bag not a tent etc.

Over time you will undoubtedly loose items and add others,  as some are not needed or will have the same job when you think about it a bit, for example, a saucepan works as a bowl after cooking, and food can be packed inside it while walking.

Everyone has preferences and luxuries but things I changed:
Ditched compact camera, I just use my phone.
Ditched gps, again use phone if needed, maps normally.
Poop scoop, my Knife works fine for hole digging!
Added mini pack of cards, great entertainment
Changed tent for bivi bag (unless foul weather)
Use pan lid upside down as plate, dumping plate.
I Take plenty of socks.
Removed emergency shelter, bivi bag works just as well if walking alone
bought a mini toothpaste and soap (or keep the complimentary hotel bottles and refill)
« Last Edit: 23:31:36, 05/07/15 by route2rock »
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Kukkudrill

« Reply #16 on: 20:43:33, 06/07/15 »
Over time you will undoubtedly loose items and add others,  as some are not needed or will have the same job when you think about it a bit, for example, a saucepan works as a bowl after cooking, and food can be packed inside it while walking.

Everyone has preferences and luxuries but things I changed:
Ditched compact camera, I just use my phone.
Ditched gps, again use phone if needed, maps normally.
Poop scoop, my Knife works fine for hole digging!
Added mini pack of cards, great entertainment
Changed tent for bivi bag (unless foul weather)
Use pan lid upside down as plate, dumping plate.
I Take plenty of socks.
Removed emergency shelter, bivi bag works just as well if walking alone
bought a mini toothpaste and soap (or keep the complimentary hotel bottles and refill)

Thanks route2rock. I'm sure that as I go along I will review my gear in a similar way. In fact I've already started. After my experience filling a 40L when trial-packing for the Camino de Santiago, a bulb lit up in my head and I realised that if I got a pair of those curious things called zip-off trousers I wouldn't need separate shorts and trousers ;)  Eventually I ordered a pair of discounted Craghoppers zip-offs which arrived today as it happens.

I'm also thinking of buying a compact camera as a substitute for my DSLR on long-distance walks. Taking photos with my phone would be too much of a change for me  :o
Make the most of the available light

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 01:12:00, 07/07/15 »
I'm also thinking of buying a compact camera as a substitute for my DSLR on long-distance walks. Taking photos with my phone would be too much of a change for me  :o

Haha at the end of the day, it is personal preference,  what luxuries you want to take, I know someone who always takes a bottle of wine and another who takes a news paper! ;)
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:18:26, 07/07/15 »
I use a 60l and usually do at least one 14 day trip a year and numerous shorter ones. I still use the same kit as I used for JOGLE - it worked very well for 60 days so no need to change. I substitute a RAB Aeon with a fleece in cold weather as an extra. I do not need really 60 litres for myself but I often have to carry up to 3kg of dog food.

jj99

« Reply #19 on: 03:10:53, 09/07/15 »
 Owen said "... the main deciding factors are how bulky your sleeping bag is, what extra cloths you want to carry and how much food."

And I would add: how many rucksacs do you have room to store at home.

I take a big rucksac and, out of habit, unroll my sleeping mat inside the sac as a rain protector and it also acts as a shield for the lightweight tent hoop. Because of my hate relationship with down sleeping bags, my bags are synthetic and do require more space in winter. But the beauty of a big bag is you can throw your stuff in, tighten up the various straps on the outside and Bob's your uncle. You are not faffing about squeezing everything into a tiny space - and not attaching gear to the outside of the sac, which strains the sac, creating wobble when you walk and makes one look disheveled. 
Plus the bigger bags have the more substantial hip belts, which is the reason I use big bags on long day walks.

The Berghaus wilderness looks a decent buy. I have a Montane Grand Tour (I love Moroccan blue).  Both sacs have dispensed with sticky-out side pockets, which I appreciate because the pack feels tighter on my back.

Snowman

« Reply #20 on: 11:02:22, 09/07/15 »
In general I tend towards the 65l.    If the weather is expected to be good and hot, and there are plenty of 'escape routes' if the weather gets too bad, I go for my 45l which will contain a 2 season down sleeping bag and a lightweight shelter (or tarp as some people call them).    If the weather could be iffy, or cold at night I take a 2 man tent (Hilleberg) and my old Vango 1100 sleeping bag which both take up a lot more space.

S.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #21 on: 23:11:37, 09/07/15 »
I've received my Berghaus Wilderness. First impressions are very good - I like it a lot. Can't say I have much to compare it to but it feels light for its size. I've named it Quasimodo  ;)
Make the most of the available light

mountaingoat

« Reply #22 on: 11:03:24, 21/07/15 »
I've received my Berghaus Wilderness. First impressions are very good - I like it a lot. Can't say I have much to compare it to but it feels light for its size. I've named it Quasimodo  ;)

Two of the biggest problems ANY trekker makes is forgetting to visit a decent outdoor shop like cotswolds outdoors and having your back measured for rucksack frame size (free)...critical...if your a newbie....a good fitting rucksack loaded correctly will surprise you how comfortable it is...also know exactly how and when to adjust all the straps....

next visiting a decent outdoor shop in the afternoon to have your feet measured properly(free),selecting insoles if need be and sock type for the walk.

hope this is of use

ML (Glenmore lodge) mountains all over the world.like leisure trails like the WHW (3 times) cape wrath trail (3 times)GR11 in Spain ex military

spiritualwalker

« Reply #23 on: 14:13:09, 21/07/15 »
Take minimal water and get yourself a sawyer filter and process your own water....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsdx0UC2uU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:10:56, 21/07/15 »
Take minimal water and get yourself a sawyer filter and process your own water....
??? :o :P ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

skyetbc1997

« Reply #25 on: 17:58:06, 04/10/15 »
Thanks for the additional contributions.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Berghaus Wilderness 65L. It opens from the front as well as the top, which might come in handy, and it has big side pockets which should help keep things organised.

I have a 65L rucksack (also opens on side as well as top) which has served me well on all my trips including LEJOG.  I fitted everything in there including a blow up roll mat which most people usually store on the outside of their rucksacks. I also had to carry the dog's food so I think I could manage with a slightly small pack if I wasn't catering for her.
HOME IS WHERE THE TENT IS!

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:46:41, 04/10/15 »
i use 50 ltr for overnight in 3 seasons, but for full on winter camping it goes up to 85 ltrs
you have 1 life live it

UKHiker

« Reply #27 on: 19:17:03, 04/10/15 »
I'm planning to do the Ridgeway Walk next Easter and I have purchased the Osprey 38L. I purposely didn't buy a 50L or 60L pack because I have continuing pain in my lower back and carrying a large pack for 6-8 days would have me in agony. But, and here is a big but, I'm not sure how I'm going to pack all my gear, clothes and food in 38L. I'm intending to camp so the bulk of the weight will be the tent and sleep system.

It will be a challenge....
http://squarepixs.blogspot.co.uk/
To boldly go where I haven't gone before ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:20:17, 04/10/15 »
How many days will you be walking between resupply points? On something like the Ridgeway you should be able to buy food as you go along. With camping kit and a days food you should be aiming at something like 6 to 8kg total.

My kit is quite low bulk but I can get mine into a 32lt OMM classic rucksack.

UKHiker

« Reply #29 on: 22:30:48, 04/10/15 »
How many days will you be walking between resupply points? On something like the Ridgeway you should be able to buy food as you go along. With camping kit and a days food you should be aiming at something like 6 to 8kg total.

My kit is quite low bulk but I can get mine into a 32lt OMM classic rucksack.

I'm planning on camping at sites slightly off the trail, so should be able to resupply. I think  there will be only a few nights which will be 'wild camping'.

It's good to know you can get your kit into a 32L rucksack, my initial weight target was ~10kg with a few days food and water. I was thinking of reducing the amount of water being carried by using a Sawyer Mini Filter but I need to investigate water sources along the trail.
http://squarepixs.blogspot.co.uk/
To boldly go where I haven't gone before ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy