Author Topic: Carneddau - Yr Elen, Foel Grach, Garnedd Uchaf, Foel-Fras - route advice needed  (Read 5029 times)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Greetings.

I'll be in Wales in a week or so and may have time to knock a few more of the Welsh 3000's off my list.

Saving the other 3 in the Carneddau area for the Forum Hostel meet so that leaves the 4 i mentioned in the thread title.

Is there any way these can be done in some sort off circular route back to a fixed location (will have a car).

A look at the OS map suggests not but i thought i'd double check.

Appears the easiest thing may be to ascend up to Foel-Fras and walk along to the others (and back) or ascend up to Yr Elen (the OS map has no paths to this peak - hopefully there will be good visibility in July ::)  is it hard to reach?) and walk along to the others, and back.

Given that i'll have a car.  Any suggestions where the best place to start such a trip would be from?

I'll be coming from the east so either passing through Betws-y-coed or, if need be, along the top (A55) and down.

Also, any ideas on the time involved for such walks.

Can go at a brisk pace if need be.  Probably have around 5-6 hrs tops available.

Thanks in advance.

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

snakehips

• Veteran Member
Hi Dom best to start from Bethesda then either go up yr Ellen's north ridge first or leave it till last and it is a big day so you will need all of your 6 hrs regards mark
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Cheers Mark

I thought Bethesda would be on the shortlist when looked at the area.

I'll do a bit more googling to see what the route is like and how easy/hard it is first before deciding.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
My Cwm Caseg circuit that I did last year as a slow 2-dayer fits the bill:- just add an easy detour to Foel Fras from Carnedd Gwenllian and keep to the main highway below Yr Aryg on the return, omitting the extra summits. That route also saves some ascent/descent by starting at the car park well above Bethesda.
Route link

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Thanks. O0   That looks interesting.  I'll give it some thought, along with a couple of other walks i'm considering.

Out of interest, at a fair place, how long do you reckon to do that circuit?

snakehips

• Veteran Member
I know how long it would take me Dom but your fitter so I still think you will need your 6 hours
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
I really wouldn't like to say these days, it's a very long time since I did any decent-sized mountain circuits and even then my mind boggled at the circuits some walkers managed to achieve!.
The return arm from Foel Fras is very easy walking downhill on a good path and you should be able to maintain a really brisk pace, so if you're mountain-fit the overall 5-6 hours timescale shouldn't present a problem I would think.

altirando

• Veteran Member
Ah, yr elen.  I remember that as an irritating sideways excursion near the end of the Welsh 3000s just as the end seems near.  Stand back from the map and you will see the Carnedds make an arc, a superb high level walk, including your peaks - but the best place to start is in the east, makes a logical circuit.  I would suggest as good as the Snowdon Horseshoe, without the Crib Goch drama, and without the crowds.
So, start from Rowen, limited parking at the east end, walk up to the bwlch y deufaen, then just keep going, climbing at a moderate incline over Foel  Fras to Llywellyn, nipping off to the irritating yr Elen if you must, then over the top of Craig yr Ysfa, on to Penyr Lythrig, then dropping down to Llyn Eigiau, follow the stream on down to the main road at Talybont eventually.  I completed the circuit on field paths back to my car, but there is an occasional bus if you get your timing right.   Without any excursions to Dafydd, about 22 or 23 miles, around 4,500 feet of ascent, allow about eight hours to give you time to enjoy a whole day on the tops.   Definitely better than trying to codge a route up from the west.               

altirando

• Veteran Member
Oh, just read your extra query about yr elen.  Not difficult even for very tired people just walked the whole of the 3000 peaks,  just annoying and not worth it if you are not aiming for the 3000s challenge.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
20 odd miles/8 miles is pushing it a bit!

Really not sure i'll have the time.

I may end up doing Mt Siabod instead. :-\   Apparently that can be done in a few hours.

altirando

• Veteran Member
If you just want a short walk on the Carneddau try the circuit up the track to the old little reservoir, on to Craig yr Ysfa from the east end, back down via Llwellyn and PenyrOleWen to Ogwen.  Good satisfying circuit on the tops.  Shame not to make the most of long summer days though.  I think it was quite late when I finished as I did not start until mid day, had my lunch on Foel Fras. One of the best high level walks in Wales as it maintains height.  Siabod is a minimountain for children, most interesting circuit via the quarry and south ridge not up and down same way.

altirando

• Veteran Member
Remembered later that if you are going up via the coast road, one of the best modest length circuits is the tops round Lake Crafnant.  Good carpark at east end, walk back down road for half a mile, farm track slanting up, follow up round bend to open hillside, enjoyable craggy ridge Cregiau Gleision, eventually to main track over to Capel, left down to lane head, short stroll to car past a lakeside cafe at exactly the right point for a cuppa.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Cheers for the suggestions. O0

I've got to be 40 mile  south of Capel Curig that afternoon and i've got a 150 mile drive from Notts to get to Capel Curig that morning.

Hence the strict time limit for my walk.

I don't want to kill myself either since i'll be walking on the Sat/Sunday too.

Will think on it.  Google some more and decide later in the week when it's fairly certain what the weather will be like next weekend. ::)

redeye

• Veteran Member
You could start from Aber Falls top car park and follow the service road to Llyn Anofon and make your way up to foel Fras that way. Then round to Uchaf & Grach. Yr Elen is an awkward one for these that make it a long day. I tied it in with Llewellyn. You could always start by going around Llyn Eigiau but another longish route/day.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

Iggy63

If time is your main problem, then I'd like to suggest a circuit of Afon Caseg with Bethesda as your best start point, with Foel Fras as your out-and-back hill. Do Yr Elen first as the route down from Gwenllian is very gentle.
Siabod will probably leave you with an hour or two spare - the Daear Ddu ridge from the back is great.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy