Author Topic: Meelmore/Bernagh hike  (Read 1136 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Meelmore/Bernagh hike
« on: 17:09:02, 05/07/15 »

Yesterday's walk saw us take in 4th and 7th highest in the range, Slieve Bernagh and Meelmore. As the day progressed, the weather changed from cloudy to clear giving amazing views of the 7 7's and the eastern Mournes. Total walk distance was 13.5km.

View of Lamagan, Binnian and Ben Crom from saddle between Meelbeg and Meelmore:

View of Meelbeg, Doan and Silent Valley from Meelmore:

View of Silent Valley, Doan, Ben Crom and Binnian from Meelmore:

View of Donard, Commedagh and Bernagh from Meelmore:

View of Lough Island Reavy reservoir from Meelmore:

View of Meelmore from Bernagh:

View of Silent Valley, Lough Shannagh, Doan and Slieve Muck from Bernagh:

View of Silent Valley, Binnian, Ben Crom and Slievenaglogh from Bernagh:

View of Donard, Beg, Cove and Lamagan from Bernagh:

View of Binnian/Lamagan from Bernagh:

View of Brandypad, Commedagh from descent of Bernagh:

View of Hare's Gap:

BLOOMSDAY

Re: Meelmore/Bernagh hike
« Reply #1 on: 13:37:23, 10/07/15 »
Brilliant stuff. Don't do/take photographs ; no equipment anymore and not for any philosophical reasoning !!!! Want to study them more at my leisure. Was walking in the Lakes (Cumbria--been going there for 20 yrs) and when I came to a halt I was mentally ticking off all the peaks and valleys when it suddenly dawned on me that I'd never been on the Mournes in my life !!! An Irishman that knew the Lakes inside out and never been on the Mournes (2009) . Came 'home' in Mar 2010 to walk the Irish Mts (in detail !!!)  ; what a brilliant winter I had on the Mournes !!! Wild camped for a month in that  powdery snow ; not being wet a crust didn't form so really no need for crampons !!
The following summer spent another couple of months on the Mournes so these photos are bringing back loads of memories . Now I can say that I know (nearly) the Mournes like ............... 
Vincent

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy