Author Topic: Safety Advice for Solo walking in Peak District  (Read 14676 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
I have taken my courage in both hands and I am returning to the Peak district for some short walks. This is my first holiday since my partner died two years ago and I have never walked alone beyond my local area. I walk solo locally, as I can't keep up with the local groups, and have been happy to do so.

I will be staying in a self catering cottage in Youlgrave which we used before. My main concern is that if I have an accident and my mobile phone can't get a connection. My walks will be in the White Peak area (Castleton to Ashbourne area) and will depend on how I feel each day or during the day so I can't leave a list with anyone before I go, especially as I have no family.

What advice can you give me on the best precauations to take please.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Safety Advice for Solo walking in Peak District
« Reply #1 on: 19:23:07, 05/07/15 »
Perhaps speak to a local shop/pub/post office where you could leave your route and instructions if not back by ....

Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:41:28, 05/07/15 »
You may want to consider one of the SPOT devices in the future. As well as the one off purchase price, it costs around £100..per year subscription. It has an emergency GPS button so you don't need a mobile signal reception. Gives you peace of mind.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:34:47, 05/07/15 »
Despite the lack of mobile coverage it may be possible to text an emergency message using any network but your phone must be registered first,  see this link

http://www.go4awalk.com/the-bunkhouse/walking-news-and-discussions/walking-news-and-discussions.php?news=710209

As a solo walker I have registered my phone, it was quick and easy.  Also. When you go walking, leave your intended route with someone (friend, relative, neighbour, accommodation owner) and give an ETA plus a time when to call emergency services. The quid pro quo for this is that if you declare a route, you should stick to it.  When out I send a brief text to the route holder giving the time I passed key landmarks but not everybody may put up with this.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:16:46, 05/07/15 »
If you're going to walk somewhere you're not familiar with, I'd suggest looking at a satellite map to get some idea of the terrain, and seeing if there are any descriptions of the walk online or in books. These may highlight possible difficulties.  I can understand you feeling cautious  -  but I've done quite a few solo walks in the White Peak, which is a long way from my local area, and I think it's a case, as with a local walk, of being careful and not taking unnecessary risks. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:21:27, 05/07/15 »
I carry an "I.C.E." card with me (In Case of Emergency) so that if something was to happen to me and I wasn't able to call for help, if someone found me they have basic info to pass on to any emergency services.  At the moment this card lives in my rucksack (would someone go raking about in there if they found me?) but I'm creating one that will fit in those clear hard plastic key fobs so I can attach it to my rucksack.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:28:23, 05/07/15 »
Make sure you have supplies with you, so if you become immobilised (say twisted ankle), you can summon help and look after yourself.

Warm and waterproof clothing, sitting still in the wet you will get cold quick.
A whistle, much easier to hear than a shout.
A survival shelter, much like a waterproof parachute,  that you pull over you to keep weather out and create a warm micro climate around you.
A small first aid kit.
A torch if it gets dark
Extra food, usually sugary/energy giving, like a snickers.
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

bobdelon

« Reply #7 on: 08:36:07, 06/07/15 »
good suggestions have mentioned above. but i still think you can partner with others.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:40:40, 06/07/15 »
Despite the lack of mobile coverage it may be possible to text an emergency message using any network but your phone must be registered first,  see this link

http://www.go4awalk.com/the-bunkhouse/walking-news-and-discussions/walking-news-and-discussions.php?news=710209

Thanks ninthace, I have registered my phone

Make sure you have supplies with you, so if you become immobilised (say twisted ankle), you can summon help and look after yourself.

Warm and waterproof clothing, sitting still in the wet you will get cold quick.
A whistle, much easier to hear than a shout.
A survival shelter, much like a waterproof parachute,  that you pull over you to keep weather out and create a warm micro climate around you.
A small first aid kit.
A torch if it gets dark
Extra food, usually sugary/energy giving, like a snickers.

Thanks for the suggestions route2rock

People get hurt all the time in the mountains/hiking, very few fall off glaciers. You may be supprised to hear people trip over rocks, or tree roots, they could stumble on uneven ground, they get hurt by cows and horses ect. That's before we start on health related problems.
The op was asking a sensible question, your answer was flippant and frankly in view of the OPs recent loss unsensative at best.

OP.  Is there someone you could phone at the start and finish of your day walks that you could leave your route for the day with, they could then alert the emergency services if your overdue.
I've done that when I've walked into places where I'm unlightly to be found, or gone solo caving.

Thanks for the support swanseamale47. I did find some of Altirando comments rather hurtful and upsetting. I am trying to return to a hobby we both enjoyed together despite my own limitations. I know a self catering cottage is no ideal for a single person but we spent many happy holidays there together.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:31:44, 06/07/15 »
Glad we could help. I hope you enjoy your trip and walking helps you find what you are looking for.

Despite altirando's comments, things can go wrong, that's why we have mountain rescue teams.  If you are unlucky enough to need them, it helps them to help you if they know where to look. Being well equipped will increase your chances of being found and in relatively good shape, not to mention the morale boosting effect of knowing that someone will be looking for you.
Solvitur Ambulando

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:51:30, 06/07/15 »
Thanks ninthace, I have registered my phone

Thanks for the suggestions route2rock

Thanks for the support swanseamale47. I did find some of Altirando comments rather hurtful and upsetting. I am trying to return to a hobby we both enjoyed together despite my own limitations. I know a self catering cottage is no ideal for a single person but we spent many happy holidays there together.

I suspect Altirando's comments made "face to face" when you could see "tone", "body language" etc may have come over far more constructively. I almost made similar comments (along lines of "don't worry, just go for it, its safer than you may feel") but didn't because I know comments like that can come across poorly when just consigned to type.

My eldest sister (75) had a similar decision to make when her husband died a couple of years ago...your post made me think of her...because she goes to exactly same place (Youlgreave) you're going to practically every Thursday, stays overnight in a caravan, then back home on Friday afternoon.

It's a wonderful walking area by itself...no need to catch a bus to go anywhere else once you're there. And...shoot me for being nesh...but if I stayed overnight, I'd certainly be staying in a self catering cottage rather than "roughing it" in my sister's caravan.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:08:35, 03/08/15 »
Can't see his problem.  If he is worried about walking on his own in such a frequented area as the Peaks, it makes sense to stay somewhere your non-return would be noted.  He puts himself in the situation, so why moan about it?  And expect everyone else to sympathise.  If staying in the same cottage is the priority, accept the theoretical increase in risk, although depending on a possibly elderly female is rather odd.         I would find it spooky and upsetting to stay in the same house.  I would be expecting the person to appear through a doorway.  And going back to the main point, what on earth is he going to do in the Peaks that will put him in some hazardous situation?  Put the phone on rescue speed dial. And avoid deep bogs on Kinder.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:04:16, 03/08/15 »
For goodness sakes   >:(  

Altirando – your comments are again neither constructive or helpful.  The original poster (who is female by the way) is asking for advice on staying safe and minimising risk in an area she is unfamiliar with.  On top of that, she is also dealing with the loss of her partner so, yes, there are a lot of emotions surrounding the situation too.  

Lostme1 is not moaning about the situation.  She is not asking for sympathy. She is asking for advice whilst giving a background to the situation and the reason for asking.  

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:12:42, 03/08/15 »
Well said Mel!
Where there's a will ...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:55:09, 03/08/15 »
I have taken my courage in both hands and I am returning to the Peak district for some short walks.....

......I will be staying in a self catering cottage in Youlgrave which we used before......

Hi Jean  :)

Are you are still yet to visit the peaks or have you already been? (if the latter applies, I hope you enjoyed your stay and everything went well for you).

If you're yet to visit, I just wanted to let you know that I'd be happy to meet up with you (if you fancied some company) and join you on a walk.

No problems if you'd prefer to be alone, as I do appreciate this experience might be something you feel you need to do by yourself, for yourself.

Best wishes,

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy