Author Topic: Safety Advice for Solo walking in Peak District  (Read 14679 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Safety Advice for Solo walking in Peak District
« Reply #15 on: 11:34:48, 03/08/15 »
Well said Mel!
I'll second that.

Sunnydale, I think Jean is back home. The post regarding lost walking poles was from her; I do hope she got them back and that her holiday was successful.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:29:42, 03/08/15 »
 I think some people simply do not understand the trepidation others experience in wanting to walk solo in the countryside, when they have never done so before.
A female friend of mine, who separated from her husband of many years, had such feelings. With her husband they did many adventurous walks including scrambling, walking in the Alps etc. She is an experienced walker. However when she found herself on her own, she stopped her countryside walking through lack of confidence. With encouragement and her desire to walk when ever she wanted to do without waiting for others to be available, she tentatively ventured out. Then by increasing distances and going from pastoral places to more adventurous ones, her confidence increased and today she goes just everywhere she used to go with her husband. Little by little and eventually you get there!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:47:03, 03/08/15 »
I can certainly understand the OP's feelings. Although I've gone out walking with my partner and/or other people for several years, it was only earlier this year that I did my first full day, solo walk - and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel some trepidation myself before and occasionally during it, as for long stretches I didn't see another person.

Now I treasure the times, early in the morning for example, when I seem to have the moor completely to myself for a few hours. But it does take time and experience to feel comfortable with either simply the isolation itself or crossing challenging terrain without the moral support of a fellow walker, for instance - even if it's just someone being there to laugh you out of your foul temper when you end up knee deep in bog!

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:04:39, 03/08/15 »
I'll second that.

Ill Third it. not helpful at all.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:15:52, 03/08/15 »
I think some people simply do not understand the trepidation others experience in wanting to walk solo in the countryside, when they have never done so before.

When I first started walking in the countryside I was very cautious where I went.  Gradually I built up the confidence to venture further afield  -  but there are still some places where I hesitate to walk alone.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:24:25, 03/08/15 »
Ill Third it. not helpful at all.

Make that four.

I've done a lot of solo walking and have had the same concerns as you have lostme1. I hope you enjoyed your holiday and I wish you all the best lostme1.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:05:34, 04/08/15 »
make that 5 ...  :)
i badly twisted my ankle once on the pennine way,
it swelled up and hurt so much i thought id broken it,
one moments lack of concentration and i went tumbling down steps
very scary, i was shaken, and i was in shock,
as i sat there i was panicking a bit,
i took some pain killers, and hobbled as best as i could to the A635
this was a route familiar to me, on the way back down from black hill,
I had no one to call to pick me up, and theres no bus service, so i was wondering how the hell i was going to get back,
i had to ask someone for a lift, luckily a forestry commission land rover was parked so he kindly gave me and my dog, a lift to a bus stop

this was a big lesson for me on how easily you can become injured, and how vulnerable you can feel when alone,

I hope you can begin to enjoy your walking again lostme1
take care and best wishes,
beefy ...  8)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

christer

« Reply #22 on: 11:23:49, 04/08/15 »
Yes, the key is mental, physical and practical preparation. When I hike in Norway where the population is rather sparse, even if I am heading to a point where it should only take 3-5 hours to get there and back I will take the minimum to get through an overnight if I have to. Depending on the season and conditions this could be an extra kg or 2 or rather more. I have also had quite a few situations akin to Beefy's where I have either a) injured myself to varying degrees, b) got lost and had to retrace to the point where I have run out of steam or c) the weather changed drastically. By the way, if you stay alert these are very rare events (except maybe point b. lol) but is always good to have some food, extra clothing and or shelter so you can stay still and assess the situation.

To the OP, remember that although the area in question is new to you and being solo, but it is not a remote place where it can be days before you see anyone. By the way, whenever I am in that situation I plan for the scenario just in case.

It will be incredibly freeing for you to expand your horizons, as it is for all of us. I have had some trips where I didn't see a single person for 4-5 days. Lots of reindeer though:D It can be unsettling at first though.

Good luck and take care.

C

thelifeofriley

« Reply #23 on: 13:35:06, 07/08/15 »
Might be worth looking at a navigation course as well , these guys are good. http://peaknavigationcourses.co.uk/   
'' a mountain view on life''

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:58:40, 07/08/15 »
Make that 6, though luckily I haven't had any mishaps.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:31:22, 19/08/15 »
Thank you for all your supportive comments from firsting to sixing and others.

I was used to planning and navigating walks as I did that previously. It was the confidence to do it on my own as I didn't know how I would feel even though I have walked solo locally and accidents can happen anywhere.

I did enjoy it, so much so that I stayed another week moving into the holiday cottage next door. I felt  a lot fitter at the end than when I started. Having done it once I now feel more confident about doing it again.

Tracey - Thanks for the offer and I would love to walk with you, though you might find my walks are slower/shorter than you normally do. I am not a fit strong walker like you but I hope to gradually improve as my health improves. I definitely want to go back to the peak district and perhaps I can pm you when I do and we can see what we can arrange.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:09:44, 19/08/15 »
Really glad to hear you enjoyed it and got a confidence boost enough to extend your stay. Sounds like you had a great holiday!  :) O0 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:48:49, 19/08/15 »
Same here from me.  Glad you enjoyed it enough to stay another week  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:03:33, 19/08/15 »
I am really pleased you enjoyed your holiday too  :) And you stayed for another week, brilliant  O0
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:44:46, 19/08/15 »

Tracey - Thanks for the offer and I would love to walk with you, though you might find my walks are slower/shorter than you normally do. I am not a fit strong walker like you but I hope to gradually improve as my health improves. I definitely want to go back to the peak district and perhaps I can pm you when I do and we can see what we can arrange.

Jean, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay.  It sounds like it did you the world of good, in more ways than one! O0

Yes, please do get in touch when you plan to return and don't worry about speed/distance at all.  How fast or far really isn't important.  Being out in the lovely countryside, doing what we love, is all that matters.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy