Author Topic: One or two things I have never been able to understand!  (Read 7731 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
People on this site have contributed so much information but for me, getting a grasp of one or two of the subjects still eludes me. First, dedicated GPS units vs. mobile phones, GTX files vs. other maps. When would I need one or why do I need to bother nor decide? Then there is the subject of mobile phone GPS people finding, or device finding apps, why are some advertised one way (people) and others (device) another way? Are they the same or different?

I tried to find and make a decision about an app where family and others can track me in real time. I downloaded four of them onto my phone, (Android Device Manager, Life 360, GPS Tracking and Real time GPS) drove out of the city (with a small 'H' on the screen) to a local wood to find that the 'H' had now turned into a 'G'. I can still make phone calls but all of the apps said I 'needed a connection'? When I returned to my city they worked again. Does this mean that in oder to work I must be connected to the internet?

If you can recommend a person tracking app for me I would be greatful. My wife wants to track me with this programme on her Windows 8.1 laptop screen when I am in France. I will be using an Android phone/tablet. My memory is that when Google Latitude was in existance this all worked well, we were both happy with it then for some unknown reason Google closed it down.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: One or two things I have never been able to understand!
« Reply #1 on: 15:16:24, 07/07/15 »
Have you looked at Runtastic? It's an App for your phone but your wife can track your movements (if you wish) on her PC or laptop. As far as I'm aware, when you start your activity (run, walk etc) and you tell the App you have started, it will use the GPS signal rather than phone signal and your wife can watch where you are. I've seen some of my facebook friends use it and watched (online) as they ran through the streets where I lived.

Runtastic App is free, though you can pay to go premium. You could give it a try if you haven't already tried. Apologies if this isn't what you are looking for.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

oodboo

« Reply #2 on: 15:51:42, 07/07/15 »
I also been wondering about this. I track my wife when she's out using the "find my iphone" stuff as she has an iphone. I can track her on the laptop or via an app on my android phone. The beauty of this is that she doesn't need to run anything and as long as there's some life left in her phone I get an update on her location whenever her phone catches some signal. I'd like something I can leave running on my phone so she can track me just as easily. I use viewranger so I guess we could make use of the buddy beacon but I'd prefer something that just runs in the background all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:52:41, 07/07/15 »
I'd try Viewranger.  It has a buddy beacon app that tracks your location for others to view.  Problem is that like all, I think, these apps you need a mobile phone signal to transmit your location so both that and running the GPS on your phone or tablet will affect battery life.
Where there's a will ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:01:17, 07/07/15 »
I'd try Viewranger.  It has a buddy beacon app that tracks your location for others to view.  Problem is that like all, I think, these apps you need a mobile phone signal to transmit your location so both that and running the GPS on your phone or tablet will affect battery life.

On VR you need a signal to transmit your buddy beacon location, if your out of signal it sends the info the next time you get a signal.

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

oodboo

« Reply #5 on: 16:05:26, 07/07/15 »
There's always something like Spot:
http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=100 [nofollow]

IIRC it's about £150 for the device plus another £100 for an annual contract so not cheap. Doesn't need a mobile signal though. If you go out alone often then it could be worth it. I'm just looking for an app knowing it'll rely on a mobile signal.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:16:46, 07/07/15 »

On VR you need a signal to transmit your buddy beacon location

Think I said that  :-*
Where there's a will ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:50:46, 07/07/15 »
Think I said that  :-*

Sorry my bad, I was reading it on the phone and must have miss read  O0
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:51:14, 07/07/15 »
 ;) O0
Where there's a will ...

nicthedeacon

« Reply #9 on: 17:11:27, 09/07/15 »
I use View Ranger and its great. Send out a beacon at a time you set or you can ping one out at anytime. The Mrs can see whats happening etc but you will need a phone signal for it to work. You can up load loads of maps, make your own routes and record them. Plus you have access to walks other people have done, And its not a battery sapper.

PAG1952

« Reply #10 on: 17:51:58, 09/07/15 »
drove out of the city (with a small 'H' on the screen) to a local wood to find that the 'H' had now turned into a 'G'. I can still make phone calls but all of the apps said I 'needed a connection'? When I returned to my city they worked again. Does this mean that in order to work I must be connected to the internet?

The answer to this question is yes. If you are only seeing a G icon then you only have a basic GSM phone connection- no data. With the exception of SPOT Gen3 (which uses satellite comms and not the phone network), all the applications mentioned need a data link (internet) connection to communicate you position to a third party.
It is possible for the phone company to get an approximate location for your phone using only GSM phone data, but it's my understanding that this data is not available to anybody other that the phone company.
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #11 on: 15:11:22, 10/07/15 »
How about LiveTrack24.   It's used mostly by the paragliding fraternity, but would also function well for walking.

http://www.livetrack24.com/tracks

You can download an app, or use a dedicated hardware tracker:

http://www.livetrack24.com/store/index

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:41:17, 10/07/15 »
So oodboo tracks his wife when she is out.  What does he suspect her of doing?

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:39:40, 10/07/15 »
Why do people need others to know were they are isn't the idea to get away from it all. I just tell the missus were I'm going and how long I will be and drop her a call when I get back to the car. They're aren't many places were you are total on your own especially in Wales at the mo in fact snowdon summit is like Chester's high Street on a Saturday. I don't think I would like my every move tracked obviously this is my personal opinion and I am not trying to offend anybody
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:49:15, 10/07/15 »
But surely you are as much on your own whether you are using some form of tracker or not?

The advantage I can see of having one is that if your missus doesn't get that call those who will have to give up their time looking for you will have a better idea where to look?

For what it's worth Buddy Beacon requires a PIN to access the data so only those who have it can see you.
« Last Edit: 20:52:50, 10/07/15 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy