Author Topic: TR - 20th-22nd July 2015 hostel trip  (Read 3081 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR - 20th-22nd July 2015 hostel trip
« on: 13:02:30, 24/07/15 »
Route.
Day 1 - Wythburn Church - Birk Side - Helvellyn - Helvellyn Lower Man - Whiteside Bank - Stanah - bus to Keswick ( about 6 miles 2700ft ascent )
Day 2 - Keswick - Spooney Green Lane - Latrigg - Whit Beck  - above Glenderaterra valley  ( west side ) - Skiddaw House YH ( about 6 miles 1900ft ascent )
Day 3 - Skiddaw House - above Glenderaterra valley  ( east side ) - Blencathra centre - Threkeld ( about 4 miles all down hill ) 

Just like last years youth hotel trip the forecast for our three days in the Lakes was not very good. We set of in hope that the weatherman might be wrong but Monday especially turned into a very trying day

Dull but dry as we set of up the path from Wythburn. The forestry work has left the usual devastation

It was quite warm as we climbed into the Comb.

Comb Gill roaring down the fell.

Emily feeling strong

And Thomas feeling tired. ( he wasn't really he was waiting for us )
From about this point the weather closed in and the walk over Helvellyn was done in high winds and thick mist, we didn't linger on the top as it was freezing and had started to rain quite heavily as well. We originally had planned to walk along the Dodds and camp somewhere near the old coach road but I soon realised that this was not feasible so we used the path that we came down on last week and caught the bus to Keswick from Stanah and booked in a hostel.

Tuesday was again dull with brief rain showers as we headed out of town. Skiddaw Dodd is clear of mist.

Emily is carrying the camera and snaps Thomas and I as we cross over the A66 on Spooney Green lane.

Heading up to Latrigg.

Still a lovely view from Latrigg even on a dull day.

Looking over to Clough Head in cloud and the Mell fells in the distance.

Heading down to Whit Beck.

As we had only a short walk today and the hostel didn't open till five we spent a very pleasant hour or so having some lunch and a brew on this little grassy bank next to where Whit Beck crosses the path.

looking back along the path to the north western fells.

And looking to the Jaws of Borrowdale.

Once around the corner of Lonscale fell the path contours high above the Glenderaterra. The pointed Great Calva and the round top Knott in the distance.

I love this path but there is a huge drop to the side so I made sure the kids stayed well away from the edge.

Lonscale fell's east top.

It's raining again as we get first sight of the hostel.

Great Calva though is enjoying a bit of sun.

Although we were way to early, Martin and Marie the wardens at Skiddaw house kindly let us inside. Just like Black Sail hostel Skiddaw house is very basic but has a lovely homely feel to it. Em and Tom check out the supply of board games.

Nice view of Carrock fell from the window.

We really enjoyed our night at the hostel, Martin and Marie were excellent hosts and I'm sure we will be back. Wednesday was still a bit dull but the cloud was higher. Blencathra is clear for now.

The very top of Skiddaw is covered though.

Looking down the central lakes fault all the way to Steel fell.

Zooming in on Bleaberry fell.

The path above the east side of the valley is a lot wider and in fact yesterday we saw a 4 x 4 driving along it. Martin told us that it was probably going to the new hydro-electric scheme which supplies the Blencathra centre with electricity.

Looking back to Great Calva.

the start of the Glenderaterra running down from Blease fell.

The view over Latrigg to a cloud free Grisedale Pike on the right and the distinctive Causey Pike on the left with Sail and Cragg fell above.

Nearly back to the tarmac road to Threkeld and the bus stop. Our original Monday route is mostly clear now.
« Last Edit: 15:19:09, 24/07/15 by karl h »

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 20th-22nd July 2015 hostel trip
« Reply #1 on: 15:02:19, 24/07/15 »
Nice pics Karl despite the weather  O0 I haven't been up the Wythburn path for a while, shame about the felled trees, it does leave a mess. That path around Lonscale is above a steep drop I always "gan canny" too! Shame the kids didn't get nicer weather  :(
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:20:53, 24/07/15 »
Lovely pics, looks like you had a good time despite the weather.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:01, 25/07/15 »
Great read Karl, brought back loads of memories of that area. Weather has been a bit poor this week for the time of year but still good to get out and especially with the kids mate.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:47:15, 25/07/15 »
Nice pics Karl despite the weather  O0 I haven't been up the Wythburn path for a while, shame about the felled trees, it does leave a mess. That path around Lonscale is above a steep drop I always "gan canny" too! Shame the kids didn't get nicer weather  :(

Cheers April O0  I don't know what " gan canny" is  ;D

Lovely pics, looks like you had a good time despite the weather.

Thanks Ridge O0  Can't be long to your annual visit to the lakes now. Hope you get better weather than we have had this week.

Great read Karl, brought back loads of memories of that area. Weather has been a bit poor this week for the time of year but still good to get out and especially with the kids mate.

Cheers mate O0  The weather is as it is and I believe being blown from pillar to post, getting soaked wet through and having fingers falling off with the cold is character building for kids ;D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:29:09, 26/07/15 »
Thanks Ridge O0  Can't be long to your annual visit to the lakes now. Hope you get better weather than we have had this week.
10 days to go but first we have a week in mid Wales. Looking out of the cottage window it looks like someone has turned the worlds biggest power shower on outside.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:39:43, 27/07/15 »
10 days to go but first we have a week in mid Wales. Looking out of the cottage window it looks like someone has turned the worlds biggest power shower on outside.

I hope you have a great time and bring the nice weather with you like you did last year  :)  I look forward to your TR's of your marathon walks. I hope the power shower stops for you in Wales. It is tipping it down here in Cumbria as I type  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:18:59, 27/07/15 »
nice pics and write up Karl  ... O0
shame about the weather, still good to be out and about tho mate ...  8)
make sure ya update avoidingaprilandbeefy.com for Ridge ...  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:26:36, 27/07/15 »
I hope the power shower stops for you in Wales. It is tipping it down here in Cumbria as I type  :)
It was wet on and off all day but we still made it out for a walk.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:48:09, 27/07/15 »
It was wet on and off all day but we still made it out for a walk.

:)
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:19:12, 29/07/15 »
Hope the weather gets better for you Ridge  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy