Author Topic: Dolgellau as a base  (Read 13616 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Dolgellau as a base
« Reply #45 on: 18:07:02, 06/09/15 »
 Phileas :- "I enjoyed the walking but I have to admit Snowdinia doesn't excite me the way the Lake District does so I'm not likely to return to the area anytime soon."
 Really? Oh well each to their own. I've never walked in the lakes but it does look good from the trip reports I've seen by other members, in fact very similar to some areas of the Brecon Beacons which I've walked virtually every inch of, but Snowdonia 'does' excite me, maybe you simply chose the wrong part of it for you.

Penygadair :- Yes I will avoid Cadair at the weekend, it's the same in my neck of the woods with Pen y Fan, Corn Du and Cribyn with tourists all over them like ants, I'm local so I know where to avoid the crowds. I will probably do something in the Rhinogs as part of the week and both myself and swmbo are very much looking forward to it.
As a footnote if you get down into mid Wales, there are some very remote almost wilderness type areas to walk, we have walked quite a few areas there now where if you see anyone else, it's unusual  O0

Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 18:31:25, 06/09/15 »
I caught that very same bus from Barmouh the next day which was the bank holiday Monday, which is supposed to have the same timetable as Sunday.
Oops I was looking at the weekday timetable. Anything can happen at weekends; accidents, (A494 blocked)  traffic delays, bus breaks down and a replacement has to come from Wrexham. I've been caught out several times.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 20:16:37, 29/09/15 »
Just a few days to go now for our week in southern Snowdonia, looking to get up there by lunchtime on Saturday  O0

Steve and Angie

« Reply #48 on: 19:28:46, 01/10/15 »
Phil enjoy. I have been looking at this post. Like me and my wife you are happy with the walking and scenery. The availability or lack of pubs is of little concern. I will look forward to hearing all about it on your return. have a great time both of you.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 20:07:47, 01/10/15 »
Steve and Angie thanks guys, you are bang on with that assessment, hopefully a full report from me when we get back  O0

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 22:32:51, 01/10/15 »
Don't forget your Sticky Toffee Pudding verdict :D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 23:20:01, 01/10/15 »
Just a few days to go now for our week in southern Snowdonia, looking to get up there by lunchtime on Saturday  O0

Have a fab time  O0   If you do Aran Fawddwy post lots of pics so I can be dead jealous  :(   ;D

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 10:20:04, 11/10/15 »
After spending a week at Brithdir near Dolgellau I can honestly say it was an ideal base for southern Snowdonia. Plenty of what we needed in Dolgellau itself, with the peace and quiet of staying in a small place like Brithdir. We went out everyday, either walking or sightseeing, if anyone would like a link to where we stayed please pm me  O0

Steve and Angie

« Reply #53 on: 19:20:53, 12/10/15 »
Phil, pleased you both had an enjoyable time.......How did your wife get on with her knees?

I found a campsite following your post that looks ideal for exploring the local area. So hopefully next year will pay a visit.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 19:50:23, 12/10/15 »
Phil, pleased you both had an enjoyable time.......How did your wife get on with her knees?

I found a campsite following your post that looks ideal for exploring the local area. So hopefully next year will pay a visit.
Steve she (and I) have been using a gel called Flexiseq from Lloyds chemist which has worked wonders, so she managed 8.5 miles taking in Arenig Fawr, just over 7 miles doing Aran Fawddwy, 5 miles doing a version of the New Precipice Walk plus a few miles in the Rhinogydd so pretty well all told  O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 15:40:17, 13/10/15 »
You've just reminded me to buy more Flexiseq. been using it for some time now and it has made a difference.
Can't remember who introduced me to it!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 15:47:59, 13/10/15 »
You've just reminded me to buy more Flexiseq. been using it for some time now and it has made a difference.
Can't remember who introduced me to it!
Yep it's good stuff  O0 By the way, I thought I was lucky living so close to the Brecon Beacons, but you are equally lucky where you are, we loved it  O0

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 17:01:00, 13/10/15 »
Yes it's great just west of Dolgellau but I wouldn't want to live in Brithdir all year round. Fine for a visit but when the winter east wind comes off the Arans or down the Bala fault line it's like Siberia.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy