Author Topic: Jetboil Sol versus MSR Pocket Rocket  (Read 4961 times)

Kukkudrill

Jetboil Sol versus MSR Pocket Rocket
« on: 20:02:58, 20/08/15 »
I'm researching stoves for use on future camping trips. I've narrowed my choices down to two: the Jetboil Sol, weighing 300g (this is one of the lightest Jetboil models), and the MSR Pocket Rocket, to which I would need to add something like an MSR titanium pot for a combined weight of 200g. I'll only be using it for hot drinks and ready meals - no fancy cooking.

The Jetboil is currently on offer at £100. I like its all-in-one practicality. On the other hand, the MSR combo is 100g lighter and costs £20 less even though the pot on its own seems dear at £50.

The Jetboil looks more stable hence safer than the MSR in this newbie's eyes because it has legs and because the pot attaches to the stove. On the other hand, I could buy the Jetboil legs on their own for £7 and presumably they would work just as well with the MSR. This would add 27g to the MSR combo.

I also get the impression that since the flame on the Jetboil is partially shielded, it can handle winds better than the Pocket Rocket. This would save messing about with windbreaks.  

I'm torn. Are the Jetboil's advantages, such as they are, worth the extra weight?

No use mentioning Alpkit because they don't deliver outside the UK.
Make the most of the available light

Kukkudrill

Re: Jetboil Sol versus MSR Pocket Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 16:02:01, 21/08/15 »
And: what do you use to light your stoves (or as backup if your setup has an igniter)?

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:37:38, 21/08/15 »
I have had an older version of the Jetboil and also used the MSR pocket rocket.

The Jetboil worked well for simply boiling water and heating up meals ready to eat. For cooking it's absolutely useless.

I used the pocket rocket with a primus clip on windshield. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/primus-clip-on-windscreen-97110044?id_colour=180

This made the pocket rocket almost exactly the same boil time as the Jetboil. The adaptability of being able to use a larger pot. Personally I used and adapted 1.5 litre aluminium pot from IKEA. The pot was big enough to fit the gas cartridge and shield inside it. It was a lot cheaper than all the other camping adapted pots.

To light it I use a flint and steel similar to this one http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifesystems-firestarter-a7210043?id_colour=180
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Kukkudrill

« Reply #3 on: 21:09:23, 21/08/15 »
Thanks Summit. 

What was the reason you found the Jetboil useless for cooking? Inability to simmer, shape of the pot, or both? Is it easier to control the flame on the Pocket Rocket?

Slipkid

« Reply #4 on: 22:21:56, 21/08/15 »
Try the Jet boil mini mo as it has a shorter but wider cooking pot and a great simmer control. It's designed to be an all rounder and a good bit of kit.

FOX160

« Reply #5 on: 06:49:38, 22/08/15 »
Seems a few like the Alpkit look a like https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku
And Jet boil type. https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

Kukkudrill

« Reply #6 on: 21:46:44, 22/08/15 »
Try the Jet boil mini mo as it has a shorter but wider cooking pot and a great simmer control. It's designed to be an all rounder and a good bit of kit.

I like the Minimo a lot but it's more than 100g heavier than the Sol. I've never even been out camping yet and I'm already turning into a gram freak  :)

I've just taken the plunge and ordered the Sol.

FOX160

« Reply #7 on: 22:30:48, 22/08/15 »
Kukkudrill  Yep you can let the weight thingy get in the way of fun
But get out there first and try it.

If you are JUST boiling water i can recommend this 14gram Meths stove http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php
I just take this along for the fun of it and nice when its very late at night and you don't want to break the silence of Nature.
It also works at low temps too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcyj_nYS1A#t=245

But when its the Two of us, then its the Primus ETA Paclite split between two when carrying it.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:30:21, 23/08/15 »
i love my pocket rocket use it with a windshield and it is great
you have 1 life live it

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:49:15, 24/08/15 »
The pocket rocket for me although never having owned I can't comment directly about the jetboil.
roll on the weekend

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:23:21, 24/08/15 »
It's a bit late now but if you want cheap gas stoves search for Fire Maple on Amazon or Ebay.  I think they the Chinese company that actually make most of the branded ones you see in the shops but for a lot less money.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:07:54, 28/08/15 »
Thanks Summit. 

What was the reason you found the Jetboil useless for cooking? Inability to simmer, shape of the pot, or both? Is it easier to control the flame on the Pocket Rocket?

The jetboil I had was the original jet boil similar to the flash. The heat is defused well around the base of the pot. However it does heat from the bottom up. With it being such a thin width pot it was easy to burn and or stick food at the bottom whilst food at the top was not getting heated.

A wider pan allows easier stiring and more even cooking through the food. I also find you can use a cut down racing spoon with a wider pot where as you needed a quite thin spoon to stir the jetboil with chunky food.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Kukkudrill

« Reply #12 on: 22:46:25, 29/08/15 »
So the issue is the shape of the pot. I see the point. Nowadays Jetboils come with a pot support so you can use a non-proprietary pot, though this is something I personally won't need because I don't expect to be doing anything more than heating up ready meals.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:39:34, 29/08/15 »
Just a tip if you like home cooked food on the hill. Cook your stew or spag Bol or what ever you fancy. Put it into these pour and store bags and you can boil in the bag on the hill.  Six bags for a quid and they work really well. It means you get proper home cooked healthy meals whilst your out in the wilds

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-pour---store-bags-x6

BURN FAT NOT OIL

Kukkudrill

« Reply #14 on: 22:19:55, 09/09/15 »
Update: I got my Jetboil Sol but contrary to what I said in my previous post it didn't come with a pot support. I took this up with Cotswold Outdoor, where I had ordered the stove from. According to CO customer service, Jetboil is saying that the Sol no longer comes with a pot support. CO asked me to send them a photo of the product documentation if it indicates otherwise, and this I have done because both the external packaging and the instruction leaflet show a pot support as one of the components of the stove. Not that I expect I would use the pot support, but one never knows and it's part of what I paid for. We'll see how things go but I thought I should mention this as a warning in case anyone else is thinking of getting a Jetboil Sol.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy