Author Topic: please help me - i'm getting wet  (Read 1933 times)

hiker101

please help me - i'm getting wet
« on: 13:15:24, 21/08/15 »
Hi,
I have a sprayway hydro/dry flex "waterproof" coat with taped seams. I have had it for around 4 years, and the dwr has worn off and my coat is letting the water through the fabric. I don't have time to go and buy the correct re waterproofer, I have two separate sprays at home. a bally aqua stop spray, and a kiwi multipurpose protector. I think they are both supposed to be used for walking boots however. i have silver dofe this weekend and it is going to pour with rain for the whole time. Could i use either spray?
Thank you

Peter

• Veteran Member
Re: please help me - i'm getting wet
« Reply #1 on: 14:14:33, 21/08/15 »
D of E eh? Take a lesson from the scouts 'Be Prepared'.
I suggest you wash the coat thoroughly in a sink or bath where you can be certain there is no detergent.
Then try either or both sprays according to their directions.
Good luck  :) 
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

hiker101

« Reply #2 on: 14:29:35, 21/08/15 »
thanks peter - fingers crossed eh!

christer

« Reply #3 on: 15:45:43, 21/08/15 »
Whatever you do at this point will probably have limited benefit, however at least you know for next time and can act well in time...:D

Good luck!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:52:31, 21/08/15 »
Waterproof fabric is unlikely to let water pass through and if the seams are still good, not there either. Are you sure the wetness is not sinply perspiration, which can be significant when these garments are not breathing, ie: when wetted out on the outer side.
All water proof garments suffer this after a while. It is not a fault just a normal progressive thing. The sprays that are available to revitalise the DWR, just add some repelancy back into the fabric, they do not make it water proof. Ironing with a warm (not hot) iron ,after washing does the same thing.

Falconstare

« Reply #5 on: 07:36:31, 28/08/15 »
Good luck

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:53:35, 29/08/15 »
Maybe a bit too late for your trip but advice anyway.

Option one / first wash it with soap flakes. Second wash with comfort pure concentrate

Comfort pure concentrate has a silicone ingredient that works well as a water repellant.

Option two / my own choice is wash with soap flakes and then wash again in TX Direct or use a TX direct spray on.

This page from a test of all waterproof reproof will explain more.

http://furtech.typepad.com/our_guarantee/files/trail_proofing_story.pdf

BURN FAT NOT OIL

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy