Author Topic: What food do you take on walks  (Read 13588 times)

swanseamale47

Re: What food do you take on walks
« Reply #15 on: 11:34:13, 24/08/15 »
I'm trying to reduce the size of my lunchbox (this is not a euphemism!) Cos I eat too much and I'm too fat - according to my cardiac nurse. So - I have reduced my lunch to a butty (often cheese and tomato), a banana, a bit of cake and a choccy bar and, usually, a flask of filter coffee. Clearly this is still far too much. Maybe I should replace the banana with an orange....
Bananas and good for potassium, that's a plus if you sweat a lot, and it's good for the heart and blood pressure too.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:18:32, 24/08/15 »
I stock up on complex carbs the day before a big mountain day and i have a breakfast of porridge so i don't take a lot of food out usually a ham salad sandwich with lots of mustard and either a double Decker or a flapjack but i take a bottle of Lucozade for a top up of quick energy

Paul A001

« Reply #17 on: 09:24:43, 02/09/15 »
Industry standard cheese and tomato sandwiches x2, apple or orange, chocolate if it's a longer walk, and never go anywhere without my flask 'o' tea....and water...lots of water... ;D

FOX160

« Reply #18 on: 18:36:37, 02/09/15 »
Well Yesterday I had done a small round trip of the North Downs around Rochester and had the Look What I Found Chicken Tikka and Brown rice from Sainsbury's with Naan bread at Blue Bell Hill

Oldtramp

« Reply #19 on: 18:51:35, 02/09/15 »
Chocolate and apples, also nut and raisin bars, which are reliably eaten en route.  Dried apricots when I remember to buy them.

Also cheese and pickle sandwiches---- most often eaten on the train going home.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:28:37, 02/09/15 »
cheese sandwiches, go ahead bars. i drink at least 2 litres of water on the walk, and ready salted crisps. i i really dont like salt but was advised you should replace the salts in your body
you have 1 life live it

waldershelf

« Reply #21 on: 08:24:34, 03/09/15 »
On our regular holiday breaks in Keswick, one day we always make it to Castlerig stone circle. It has become something of a tradition over the 30+ years we have been going up there to share a can of cider and a bar of fruit and nut. Perhaps not so unusual mid afternoon but some times we get there pretty early in the morning, still tradition is tradition so we still do it regardless of the looks we get having cider for breakfast!!

Woolycardie

« Reply #22 on: 15:53:01, 03/09/15 »
Marks and Spencer's Granola Squares. Can get 5 in a pack for only £2. Very filling and tasty  O0

Phileas

« Reply #23 on: 19:17:12, 06/09/15 »
Mini pork pie and orange juice (this combination works for me) or sandwiches. Piece of fruit. Perhaps a bag of crisps. A couple of sugary snacks which I often don't eat.

Water, obviously - usually take 2 litres. Having said that, the other day I walked 21 miles along the Snowdonia coast and didn't drink any water, just a small bottle of orange juice.
Robin

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:04:16, 06/09/15 »
Nuts, chocolate and natural yoghurt mainly, plus what ever takes my fancy as 'instant' foods.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:09:22, 06/09/15 »
Jelly babies are quite good for giving a quick energy boost!

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:27:35, 07/09/15 »
I try not to overdo the food intake in one go, but what I do eat is very much of the 'little and often' mantra. I personally mix up dried fruit with nuts and have them  easily accessible to shovel in a handful when you feel the need. For proper stops, then something more substantial, such as a wholemeal thin with ham or cheese  hits the spot for me.
roll on the weekend

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:03:29, 07/09/15 »
Agree little and often. Sandwiches cheese & ham, snickers bars, lucozade, extra water if a warm day and caffeine tablets to give me a lift towards the end of the walk if needed. I once took a packet of dried apricots, ate them at one go with somewhat distressing and embarrassing results.

themeone

« Reply #28 on: 22:47:41, 08/09/15 »
On a day walk - Lucozade, water, nuts, and usually something like a falafel sandwich or wrap.  There are probably healthier combinations (I must remember the tip about bananas and potassium) but it seems to do the job.

hikeview

« Reply #29 on: 14:04:13, 09/09/15 »
Peanut butter sandwiches for me. Good mix of protein, fat, carbs, salt. Haribo jellies for quick energy that doesn't melt. Water goes without saying.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy