Author Topic: Scafell Pike  (Read 1269 times)

erica1

Scafell Pike
« on: 22:55:59, 24/08/15 »
Hello, It's been a while since I did any walking of distance or difficulty and I am totally out of practice. Which is the route you most suggest is suitable for me in 3 weeks time to climb England's highest summit?

Thanks in advance for your responses

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Pike
« Reply #1 on: 07:26:45, 25/08/15 »
Scafell pike from Wasdale via Lingmell colony would be the shortest route. It involves 3.5 miles of ascent. Wainwright book four on the southern fells would be good on advising different routes

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #2 on: 17:11:27, 27/08/15 »
If the weather is bad, or the clag comes down unexpectedly, then there's plenty of scope for getting lost on the way up down to Scafell Pike.   

Have a look at the Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team website for details of the route from Wasdale up to Scafell Pike:

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/the-easiest-way-up/the-easiest-way-up-scafell-pike/

christer

« Reply #3 on: 18:25:17, 27/08/15 »
Only been up the once when I was in my early teens, by the looks of that MRT map, I went up the Mickledor side.....I remember I didn't like the endless very steep scree.....or maybe that is just unavoidable whichever way you go ? (Not very familiar with Lakes)...

Oldtramp

« Reply #4 on: 20:18:19, 27/08/15 »
The classic would be to start from Seathwaite, in Borrowdale, go up to Styhead Pass, along the Guides Route to Lingmell Col, then up to the Summit, returning along the broad ridge past Broad Crag and Ill Crag and down to Esk Hause, then down to Seathwaite via Grains Gill.

The Wasdale route is shorter, but more of a slog, though you could go up via Sty Head and down via Mickedore, making it more interesting; Eskdale routes are beautiful but very long and the Langdale route -also long- can't easily be varied on the return.

snoopdawg

« Reply #5 on: 20:24:17, 27/08/15 »
Can also depend on where you are coming from. I usually do scafell pike on a day trip from ne england so it's always borrowdale for me as wasdale is too far and Langdale  too expensive to park.if you do go to borrowdale park up at seathwaite and walk down to stockley bridge. Head up to styhead tarn and then either go up the corridor route up to lingmell col and up to scafell pike top in under 3 hours or from styhead go up to sprinkling tarn and esk hause and across the tops to scafell

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy