Author Topic: Bowscale Fell and Mungrisdale Common Sun 23 Aug 15  (Read 3342 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We caught the Caldbeck Rambler bus from Carlisle on Sunday morning after the 3 mile/5km walk into town. It had been a long time since we have had to do that with us normally out camping somewhere overnight on Saturdays in the Lakes. Six blokes with very loud voices also got on the bus. They all wanted to talk at once and we couldn’t wait to get off the bus, the noise they produced was incredible. We wondered what they would be like after a few pints  :o We got off the bus at Bowscale, took some paracetemol for our headaches and started up the bridleway to Bowscale Tarn. We soon forgot the awful cacophony from the bus as peace and tranquility took over as we walked and enjoyed the views.

It was a sunny, very windy and a very hazy day on Sunday. Not a great day for long distance photos.

Our route for the day was Bowscale - Bowscale Tarn - Bowscale Fell - Glenderamackin col - Mungrisdale Common - Cloven Stone - Sinen Gill - Roughten Gill - Blencathra Centre - Threlkeld. 14.8km with 608m ascent according to viewranger.

Carrock Fell from the bridleway to Bowscale Tarn

The bridleway is a gentle ascent up to the tarn

The view up the Caldew valley

Beefy leading the way

Our route to Bowscale Fell goes up this steep and stony path in the grass

The view of Bowscale Tarn from the steep path.

There were three tents pitched at the tarn. We wondered if they’d had a lie in, it was 11am, they must have had a dreadful nights sleep with the torrential rain. 

Beefy on Bowscale Fell summit

It was really windy on the top and so we didn’t hang about. Also we could see six figures coming up the east ridge. This must be the six loud men from the bus who had mentioned they were getting off at Mungrisdale. We raced from the summit to keep a healthy distance between us and them. At Glenderamackin Col we descended north a little to shelter behind one of the peat hags to have our lunch.

Our lunch time view. Great Calva on the left, Knott on the right

We heard and saw the noisy men, they were going up Blencathra from the col. Good, away from us  ;D

Atkinson Pike on Blencathra on our way to Mungrisdale Common

It was the usual wet plodge across. The heavy rain from the night before made it even worse than normal.

Beefy on Mungrisdale Common summit

The Cloven Stone. The feature I like the most on Mungrisdale Common

Sinen Gill

We needed water but this gill water was brown in colour, peat maybe? We didn’t fancy drinking it filtered or not

We got some from here instead, Roughten Gill

We walked along the bridleway in lovely sunshine to the Blencathra Centre and then down to Threlkeld to catch our bus. Shame it had been a bit windy and hazy but we still had a grand day out  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Bowscale Fell and Mungrisdale Common Sun 23 Aug 15
« Reply #1 on: 21:33:35, 25/08/15 »
Great TR and pics Ape' ...  O0
was a nice day for a walk, shame about the bog ...  :D

Six blokes with very loud voices also got on the bus. They all wanted to talk at once and we couldn’t wait to get off the bus, the noise they produced was incredible. We wondered what they would be like after a few pints  :o
not as rowdy as you after a bottle of wine  ...  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:43:50, 25/08/15 »
Lovely report, hopefully you appreciated the solitude more having had to put up with the noisy blokes.

I don't know that side of Mungrisedale Common, did you head straight down west from the Cloven Stone or slant down SW?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:55:43, 25/08/15 »
not as rowdy as you after a bottle of wine  ...  ;D

:o I'm really quiet me  :o

Lovely report, hopefully you appreciated the solitude more having had to put up with the noisy blokes.

I don't know that side of Mungrisedale Common, did you head straight down west from the Cloven Stone or slant down SW?

Thanks Ridge  O0

We did slant SW on a trod from the Cloven Stone, the trod disappears before you reach Sinen Gill and you have a pathless finish to the bridleway. There is another trod that leads westward to The Stake and boundary stone but there is a wet area to cross near the fence. On Sunday it would have been like a swimming pool  ;D

I wish I knew how to copy the routes on the map from viewranger and post them on here. I keep meaning to have a go but I never seem to have time. 
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:00:12, 25/08/15 »
Nice pictures and write up April and better weather. The thought of that trudge over to mungrisdale  is more than enough to convince me not to do a 2nd round ;D I can't wait to visit some of northern Fells again though.

Beefy I agree April is very loud when she has been hitting the bottle ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:01:49, 25/08/15 »
;D ;D ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:58:11, 26/08/15 »

;D 
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:18:15, 27/08/15 »
Weather looks ok this time! O0
Wheres the rain? :P Good job I'm not a cheeky sod...............
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:59:39, 28/08/15 »
Good job I'm not a cheeky sod...............

I have other names for you  :D
Hate will never win

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:49:07, 28/08/15 »
Great TR and photos April. I got the map out to follow your route. You have almost made me want to revisit Mungrisdale Common... I reckon it was much less of a slog than Ullscarf but mislaying my walking partner and path en route haven't made me want to rush back ;D

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:48:13, 29/08/15 »
A lovely day at last  O0   are you sure Beefy was there, you've not just photoshopped him in ? ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:55:17, 01/09/15 »
I got the map out to follow your route. You have almost made me want to revisit Mungrisdale Common... I reckon it was much less of a slog than Ullscarf but mislaying my walking partner and path en route haven't made me want to rush back ;D

;D 

A lovely day at last  O0   are you sure Beefy was there, you've not just photoshopped him in ? ;D

;D  Yes, a lovely day (except for the wind) and Beefy was there

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy