Author Topic: Electric Fence  (Read 8096 times)

Oldtramp

Re: Electric Fence
« Reply #15 on: 13:48:01, 02/09/15 »
There is, or was, one near the top of Moel Druman, N of the Moelwyns in N Wales (near Blaenau. Ffestiniog).  A single stand stretching across the moor.  I walked into it in mist, navigating a bearing.  I put my hands on it to cross, and received a nasty shock.  What I couldn't fathom was what it was for--- there was no obvious territory to divide and a sheep could easily slip underneath, as I then did.

ant89

« Reply #16 on: 19:07:50, 02/09/15 »
There is, or was, one near the top of Moel Druman, N of the Moelwyns in N Wales (near Blaenau. Ffestiniog).  A single stand stretching across the moor.  I walked into it in mist, navigating a bearing.  I put my hands on it to cross, and received a nasty shock.  What I couldn't fathom was what it was for--- there was no obvious territory to divide and a sheep could easily slip underneath, as I then did.

someone playing a prank on walkers probably...
ucet.org.uk

Oldtramp

« Reply #17 on: 19:20:01, 02/09/15 »
Maybe so...... but a long standing one.  It must to 10-12 years since it got me, and this chap notes it ---- or one that must be close-by---- just two years ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlenman/8765295985/

SadlerPete

« Reply #18 on: 08:17:51, 04/09/15 »
I have now sent an enquiry to the "Peak & Northern Footpath Society" in the hope that they can shed some light on the subject.
"Sailing in Summer, Walking in Winter".

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:21:54, 04/09/15 »
That looks like a fencing setup that would be run from the mains and not a battery job for a portable unit so presumable the supply is a long way off.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

wintonian

« Reply #20 on: 17:43:58, 05/09/15 »
Found a couple of particularly menacing ones today.

The first in particular has absolutely no business being where it is and someone needs to tell these people that you are supposed to put the electrified fencing on the INSIDE of the non-electrified stuff.  ::) >:( What purpose could it possibly serve the other way round?

I think I might start a campaign to ban the blooming things.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:54:21, 06/09/15 »
Out yesterday I came across this temporary or portable electric fencing, I was across the RoW without any signing, I won't bother with a complaint to the CC as it is on a rarely used path is just nitpicking as far as the day to day management is concerned however if I decide to do the Rambler's Path Watch for this kilo square, I would enter it up as an obstruction as I think that CLA propaganda has influenced land management attitudes so much that that is where the statistical ammunition is needed.

Now back to the fence, it was on, as I tested it with a blade of grass, something I haven't done for a long time and made MRS BWW laugh when I dropped the grass quickly at the tickle.

Mrs BWW had stepped over the wire as I put my foot on it to be sure it was properly grounded, I felt absolutely no sensation from the wire and it was easy to bring the wire to ground with my pole. 

I would agree with Wintonian on his first picture. However the 2nd picture. where as I agree that the electrified wire is too close to public for comfort, I think I can see the reason for it. It would seem to be a horse paddock and horses will rub their necks along top rails as well a gnaw at fencing. This results in the rails being broken and this might be step to preserve the maintenance of the fence rather than deliberate obstructive intimidation.       
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:59:00, 06/09/15 »
What is the one in Wintonian's first picture for, is it to stop dogs peeing against the fence? I'd be wishing to find something metal to lean against it to earth it, something I once did out of spite when I was forced to very cautiously step over one the height of my inner leg  :o

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:49:37, 07/09/15 »
The lower one could be to stop animals getting under the fence. I have a low electric fence around susceptible crops on my allotments to keep out the badgers and rabbits.

I am sorely tempted to take a pair of wire cutters to electric fences that cross paths.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:21:37, 07/09/15 »
The lower one could be to stop animals getting under the fence. I have a low electric fence around susceptible crops on my allotments to keep out the badgers and rabbits.

I am sorely tempted to take a pair of wire cutters to electric fences that cross paths.

hmmm, personally I wouldn't do that myself, but if you had to make sure they have insulated handles  :o
roll on the weekend

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:35:35, 07/09/15 »
I too as a lad used to to dare and be dared to pee on electric fences, not something I would do today. I recently walked through a few electric fenced areas in France recently, the farmers there provided plastic grips so walkers could pass through the fences without problems. In the area I lived as a youngster in Kent, if the fences were put up and impeded our play area, or if the farmer got snotty with us, some of the lads would just cut their wires with a pair of pliers. It was good old fashioned vandalism, kids against the landowners. It seemed to be good fun at the time.

themeone

« Reply #26 on: 22:38:49, 08/09/15 »
I've only recently discovered electric fences - and yes I discovered the hard way by touching one, not realising what it was, and I don't believe there was any hazard hotice.  There seem to be fields of them around Troy Town on the Vanguard Way on the Kent / Surrey border.

In one instance what seemed to be the end of the electrified tape was draped on top of a stile - surely that counts of blocking a right of way?

wintonian

« Reply #27 on: 22:53:39, 08/09/15 »
In one instance what seemed to be the end of the electrified tape was draped on top of a stile - surely that counts of blocking a right of way?

Yes it would be an obstruction, not only that but it would also be a public nuisance at common law and one you could be entitled to abate.

In any case as an obstruction (or public nuisance) you can move enough of it it (and only enough) to pass safely, providing you don't allow livestock to escape and you minimise any damage required to pass safely.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy