Author Topic: Compass or GPS?  (Read 26751 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Re: Compass or GPS?
« Reply #30 on: 16:45:18, 01/09/15 »
Here is the report in question http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-34108143

it goes on to make this comment
"You speak to some people and they say, 'Yes, we're well equipped. We've got shorts and a T-shirt.' That's not really well equipped.

This is issue is more about the people themselves and their mistake in not knowing how to use their equipment or having the right equipment and knowing its limitations rather than GPS itself or the phone.
Do you think these people would have been ok if they actually had a map and compass?

I dont
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:00:27, 01/09/15 »
Thank you, Rhino!

The BBC chose to omit that bit from their Text item that I quoted. 

The completion of the report that you have found and added puts it more in context, doesn't it!

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:31:55, 01/09/15 »
without a doubt map and compass for me
you have 1 life live it

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:31:40, 02/09/15 »
Very soon, I think, that Compass or GPS will take on a new meaning.
As far as I know the new Chinese satellite navigation system (Compass) will be available?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:08:30, 05/09/15 »
I went out last weekend, I walked from the end of the road in Glen Feshie to Braeriach. On the way up I had clear weather so only needed a quick look at the map at the start. As I reached the summit the clouds descended and I could see about 10ft. I used a compass bearing to get me back to where I'd planned to camp for the night. I could have just as easily used my GPS except that when I turned it on after the trip - to check it was working - I found it was dead. It's now on it's way back to the manufactures. Next day even though it was still a white out I didn't really need to navigate as I had line features to follow - a stream and then a track. All that was needed was a quick look at the map to start. Really it's not an either or question, it's knowing which is best in any given situation and selecting the right tool. But, to do that you've got to know how to use and have both. 

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 13:37:12, 05/09/15 »
More than just 'dead batteries?'.  A lesson for all take both means of navigating with you.
Perhaps a camp at/near to Loch nan Cnapan.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:40:02, 05/09/15 »
More than just 'dead batteries?'.  A lesson for all take both means of navigating with you.

Yes, broken battery terminals and yes, very near Loch nan Cnapan.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:59:34, 05/09/15 »
Compass!!! [accompanied by fanfare of trumpets]

:D :D Haha!
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:12:51, 05/09/15 »

Unless your backup is another GPS  then you still don't need the map and compass

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:50:09, 05/09/15 »
Singing my tune .... :)
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:46:58, 05/09/15 »
I suppose that depends on how rich you are, GPS's with mapping aren't cheap and I for one couldn't justify spending that much on a back up set when a map and compass is a fraction of the price.   

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:06:03, 05/09/15 »
In that case the map and compass is an essential bit of kit either as the main or backup but nobody cannot say they must be carried when there is a better kit in the form of GPS whether it's more expensive or not.

Forkbeard

« Reply #42 on: 20:57:39, 09/09/15 »
I was hellbent on getting a gps and like most technology, I ended up 'pratting around with it too much' and reverting back to the compass. That says more about me than the equipment though haha. I like the simplicity of a compass & map though, and the more I use them, the more confident I get using them. It's also really satisfying finding your way around with the compass; identifying landmarks, terrain, counting pylons! etc.

That being said I had to use it quite a lot in areas I know before I was really confident taking it elsewhere. The learning curve is smaller with the GPS.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:21:37, 09/09/15 »
I was hellbent on getting a gps and like most technology, I ended up 'pratting around with it too much' and reverting back to the compass. That says more about me than the equipment though haha. I like the simplicity of a compass & map though, and the more I use them, the more confident I get using them. It's also really satisfying finding your way around with the compass; identifying landmarks, terrain, counting pylons! etc.

That being said I had to use it quite a lot in areas I know before I was really confident taking it elsewhere. The learning curve is smaller with the GPS.

Is it not fair to say that reading your answer in full suggests that the "simplicity" of the map and compass is actually a bit of a myth? Otherwise why is learning curve smaller with GPS??

The people who use any decent map..say an OS or Harvey's...take advantage of advanced technology, and a lot of painstaking work by generations of map makers. It always makes me smile when anybody uses map and compass decries use of technology...it's almost as if they believe it's equivalent to navigating via a detailed personal knowledge of the night sky.

Forkbeard

« Reply #44 on: 22:16:45, 09/09/15 »
I didn't realize it was such an emotive subject :D

All I'm saying is 'I like the simplicity of a map & compass'. No batteries, PCs, memory cards, downloadable content etc. etc.

As for the learning curve,  you can pretty much turn a gps on and start moving and it will track your movements and prevent you from getting lost. Not so with a map/compass.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy