Author Topic: TR Helvellyn by Swirral Edge and wild camp on Arnison Crag Sat 29 Aug 15  (Read 1398 times)

April

• Veteran Member
On Saturday, Beefy’s Australian friend Mark and his girlfriend Sue joined us to go up Helvellyn. We hoped to do Striding Edge if the weather was ok. We left Glenridding in high hopes as the weather didn’t look too bad although it was blustery.

Looking back to Glenridding from the Mires Beck path

Sue and Mark on the way up. Sue is putting her cap back on after it had been blown off in the wind. This happened a few times it was very windy.

As we got closer to Birkhouse Moor the heavens opened and it tipped it down.

Beefy on Birkhouse Moor

You will notice Beefy with a thumbs up sign in a lot of the photos from this weekend. We had a bit of a giggle about someone who is taking the time to put a thumbs down on Beefy’s videos on You Tube. What a negative way to live your life spending time doing that.   

We had a break near Red Tarn and decided Striding Edge wasn’t for us with the weather conditions. There were very strong gusts of wind and with the rain too the rock would be very slippery. There were other people going across but I didn’t want to go across it. We went up Swirral Edge instead.

On Swirral Edge

Striding Edge across Red Tarn

Clear views along Swirral Edge to Catstycam before the clag came back again

The rock was very slippery but the wind wasn’t that bad and we enjoyed the route up.

Beefy on Helvellyn summit. The clag had covered the top again but it did lift a bit so Mark and Sue got some views.

The wind hit us as we got on the summit so we didn’t hang around, it was really cold. Mark and Sue were coping quite well with our “summer” weather they were well wrapped up. They were saying our summer is colder than the winter in Australia   ;D

The view north west across Brown Cove Crags. Better views for our Australian visitors

We took the Lower Man to White Side route and down the zig zag path to Glenridding Beck and back to Glenridding.

Catstycam from Lower Man

Looking north to Skiddaw

Our route was Glenridding - Gillside - Mires Beck - Birkhouse Moor - Red Tarn - Swirral Edge - Helvellyn - Lower Man - White Side - Pony Track - Glenridding Beck - Greenside Road - Glenridding. 15.3km with 1049m ascent.

It was great to meet Mark and Sue. Mark is totally bonkers and good fun to be around. Sue is really nice too and I enjoyed their company. Beefy has some good footage of them during the walk and scramble.

Mark and Sue dropped us off in Patterdale on their way back to Lancaster. We were wild camping that night and had left our gear in their car while we did Helvellyn.

We climbed up onto the slopes of Arnison Crag and found a flat pitch above Oxford Crag. We’d walked about 1.5km and ascended about 110m.

The view of Ullswater from our pitch for the night on the slopes of Arnison Crag

Place Fell from our pitch

Beefy likes where we are pitched  O0  ::)

Looking toward Birkhouse Moor

It stared raining and we didn’t get a sunset (no surprise there  ;D) so we settled down in the tent and had some wine. We’d had a great day we weren’t that bothered by the weather, the view of Ullswater is really lovely from Arnison Crag even in the rain.

Day 2 to follow
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Tremendous stuff Ape' ...  O0
great pics and write up as usual ...  8)
the weather certainly didnt dampen our spirits did it..
was a great day out ont' fells with excellent company, we had a lot of laughs ...  ;D
wait till ya see the sunset vid ...  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
"Thumbs up" can't do the smilie on the tablet.. Love Beefy's answer to thumbs down person.

More great pictures April, love Helvellyn anytime of the year.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Shame you didn't get better weather to show off the Lakes to the Aussies.

Lovely photos  O0

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Yes its great to show off the classics when you have visitors, I had an american mate over one November, weather looked brill so I took him to the Lakes.

With clear blue skies at 9 0'clock the thermometer showed -4. Went into the cycling caff in keswick to give it chance to warm up and so I could decide where to go.

Thought to myself what better for a visitors first day in the lakes than to go and do the first ever rock climbing recorded in the UK so we went and did Napes Needle.

Twas a magic day, luke warm sun on a south facing crag, walking back in darkness and a quick pint in the Scafell hotel to finish, he was chuffed to bits and so was I.

Them colonials love a bit of history!!!!!!

April

• Veteran Member
wait till ya see the sunset vid ...  :)

That is from day 2 and I can't wait to see it later when I get home  O0

More great pictures April, love Helvellyn anytime of the year.

Thanks Rhino, I realised last night that was the 40th time I've been on the summit of Helvellyn so there must be something good about it  :)

Love Beefy's answer to thumbs down person.

We have had a bit of a laugh about it

Lovely photos  O0

Thanks Ridge

Yes its great to show off the classics when you have visitors, I had an american mate over one November, weather looked brill

A shame the weather wasn't great but they still enjoyed the day.
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Yes there is something about it for me as well, its my most summited so far at 5 times  8)  a lot behind you but ill catch up a bit when i finish the 214 and start doing my favourites more  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Beefy is a weather jinx, isnt he? ;D :P
probly fine everywhere else! :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Rhino

• Veteran Member
 O0  O0  O0  O0

There you go  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy