Author Topic: (TR) Lundy Pilgrimage  (Read 3440 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
(TR) Lundy Pilgrimage
« on: 21:48:51, 02/09/15 »

Something Wicked this way comes

Lying defiantly across the mouth of the Bristol Channel where the silt coloured waters meet the cold clear Atlantic rollers, stands the island of Lundy, old english for Puffin Isle, one of Britains least known but greatest natural wonders.

It has been on my list of places to visit since I was a lad, problem is that a trip to Lundy can be a mini exped in itself, it requires planning, commitment and above all a sense of adventure. So when one of my mates told me he was organising a meet for the Fell and Rock (FRCC) I was on it.

The island is 3 mile long and 1/2 a mile wide at its widest point, its situated amongst some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. The west coast is almost uninterupted granite cliffs, towering sea stacks, sun kissed slabs and beautiful deep narrow zawns only accesible at low tide. When you stand atop these cliffs and look west the next land is the coast of Newfoundland some 3000 miles away.

The plateau is treeless and a bit boring in truth, to get the most out of this amazing isle you need to get down into the stupendous rock architecture of the west coast.

At low tide when its calm you come across amazing rock pools teeming with life amidst black zawns, Basaltic dykes under sensational cliffs with granite crystals glinting in the sunshine. Don't be put off if the sea is rough you get treated to stupendous stormy seas but its best not get too close.
Unfortunately most of the 200 or so visitors on the island at any one time seem to stick to the plateau footpaths seemingly unaware of the treasures that lie down below their feet.

I know this is a walking site and many folks quiver with fear at the mention of the c word, yes I spent most of the days climbing but went out for a walk with my camera every night where I took most of the photos.

Discalimer: The photos included are intended to give folks a flavour of the island, so I apologise for the fact that some of the scenery might be spoilt by my mates climbing all over it.

The horse is about to leap over the old Lighthouse

Inside the old Lighthouse

The Devils Slide

On the Devils Slide in High Winds

Stormy Seas

Superb position on Flying Buttress

Into the sunshine

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) Lundy Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: 06:57:30, 03/09/15 »
Amazing views and pictures, never been but lookjs a very interesting place.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:44:23, 03/09/15 »
Yes its a strange wonderfull place there were 14 of us from the Fell and rock and I only knew three of them before I went but we all knew each other very well at the end of the week twas a good team.

There were some big storms mid week so the ferry was suspended and they had to helio folks in and out we were lucky it calmed down when we left.

BTW your team did a rather good demo job last saturday, very impressive.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:51:24, 03/09/15 »
Amazing photos mwm, very dramatic and what a lovely place  O0
Hate will never win

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:36:03, 03/09/15 »
Excellent photos MW thanks for sharing
Not all those who wander are lost

werringtonwalker

« Reply #5 on: 18:02:39, 03/09/15 »
Lovely photos - especially that first one.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:57:59, 03/09/15 »
They were up for it all right, I was a bit disappointed that HKR didn't put up more of a game, so was Mrs R she bet on them to win back in June before they even got to the final and would have won £180 if they won and she lost a £5 to someone at work. Bulls fans for you  ;D

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:02:25, 04/09/15 »
Thanks guys, most folks visit the island for bird watching cos its situated on one of the major migration paths so everyone seems to walk round with bino's. Even though our trip was timed to coincide with the end of the official nesting season we saw plenty of different species including shearwaters, gannets, the odd puffin, (s)hags.

There was even pygmy shrew running round the pub floor after the scraps of food in the Marisco Tavern (The island boozer).

They were up for it all right, I was a bit disappointed that HKR didn't put up more of a game, so was Mrs R she bet on them to win back in June before they even got to the final and would have won £180 if they won and she lost a £5 to someone at work. Bulls fans for you  ;D

Yes will be interesting to see how they get on without sinfield and peacock next season & how HKR get on with peacock.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:28:41, 04/09/15 »
Not so good after tonight he was elbowed in the face and ko,d, best pack him off to hkr now ;D

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:48:03, 06/09/15 »
The bigger they are the harder they fall :o

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:47:58, 16/09/15 »
Great pictures, a trip out to Lundy has been on my to do list for ages, just not got round to it yet.
Enjoy every sandwich

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:41:53, 17/09/15 »
great pics MWM ...  O0
think me and April would like to try
The Devils Slide and Flying Buttress ...  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:03:05, 18/09/15 »
great pics MWM ...  O0
think me and April would like to try
The Devils Slide and Flying Buttress ...  :D

Yes its good as it looks on the photos.

Classic way to do them is to do a day trip, catch the morning ferry, gives you 4 hrs to get over the island, do a route then get back before the afternoon ferry leaves.

or there is a camp site on the island.

scaryfeet

« Reply #13 on: 21:33:31, 16/10/15 »
Wow!! Stunning photos!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy